collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2115079 times)

Offline steamer

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2040 on: April 30, 2017, 11:25:10 PM »
Thinking about it, having six crap managers and getting rid of them should not preclude getting rid of a crap number 7.
The challenge, is getting it right next time.
Accept the mistake, get rid and try again.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2041 on: May 01, 2017, 01:33:45 AM »
Disagree Paul because there was a clear formation used and it looked like:

Johnstone

Hutton         Chester        Baker     Taylor

Jedinak

Adomah      Lansbury            Hourihane       Green / Amavi

Kodjia

It was a solid foundation, but it needed him to allow the four in front of Jedinak to attack more.   I still think, used properly, the above is a good side at this level and only real needs a big of fine tuning in the summer.  Whether Bruce can get the best out of them is another question though. 

You actually don't disagree with me, you're making the same point but you just don't realise.  He didn't find a system that worked because as you say he needed to find a way to let the other players attack more.  All the fucking about has, in my opinion, been about him trying to achieve that but is missing the point that the real reason that we're struggling is that, in the formation you've given, the back 6 and Lansbury all hold their positions, Hourihane is allowed a little drifitng but being in position if we lose it is priority and the wingers have to support their full back.  that's 9-10 players who are being made to prioritise defensive shape.  That's never going to be a system that lets you dominate teams because you become frighteningly predictable.  Having an ace up our sleeve in Kodjia has masked just how poor we've been as an attacking force since Bruce arrived.  He has scored exactly half of our league goals since Bruce arrived and in that particular spell he was absolutely on fire.

I think a lot of the tinkering over the past few weeks has been trying to get Hogan and Kodjia up front together.  From what I have seen, I just don't think that partnership is going to work. 

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2042 on: May 01, 2017, 02:05:16 AM »
I think for those 2 to work you need to bring in a '10' and a central 3 in behind.  Then you let your 10 and kodj drift for space and let Hogan find the gaps that creates.  I'd like us to try Grealish behind them with Houri, Jedi and Lansbury across the midfield.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #2043 on: May 01, 2017, 05:42:22 AM »
What evidence has been offered to give this guy more time, have we controlled games? have we been free scoring? have we got a defence that can not be breached? have we got a style that is easy to watch and allows the thought that ok, not good at the moment but I can see what he is trying to do?
No is the answer to all the above, so we have been forced to continue to watch comedy defending at times, lack of movement, lack of ability to pass to a team mate, one guy who if he does not have a good game, or has to go away on international duty we have not got a goal in the whole team, an ageing midfielder who when he is not playing or when he comes back from playing internationals half way around the world lasts 60 minutes if we are lucky,these are issues that he has had to deal with, but if their is evidence of a plan to overcome these issues, it must be a Baldrick cunning style plan, as it has not been seen.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #2044 on: May 01, 2017, 06:54:21 AM »
Fair points.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #2045 on: May 01, 2017, 07:25:41 AM »
Just listening to Talk shite, Dean Saunders is on with Jeff Stelling, main topic was Moyes and Sunderland, but Deano stated the following,
"Look at Steve Bruce at Villa, what he will do is buy defenders, who love to head the ball, love to tackle, love to defend but nothing else, then he will go and spend big money on 4 strikers, that's how he plays, I know I played for him".
Yesterdays tactics for a yesterday manager.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2046 on: May 01, 2017, 07:36:49 AM »
Good post as always Kuwait.

The way one does to endure the pain, I constructed a Baldrick plan for them.  I thought the constant set-up and selection mangling was being done to showcase Gabby, Gardner, Amavi, Bacuna, Richards and the rest of the dead wood to get them moved out and off the wage bill.  Keep our younger, uncorrupted players in the wings until all the rubbish had been cleared out.  Like all of Baldrick's cunning plans it was fantastical nonsense.  The reality is that once again we have plunged into the transfer market to buy a whole busload of players without proper assessment or knowledge of how to use them.

I would love to be stuck in a lift for half an hour with whoever recommended the purchase of Ross McCormack.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2047 on: May 01, 2017, 08:07:24 AM »
The only yardstick of performance that truly matters in football is points. Bruce averages 1.5 per game currently. That's not playoff form but isn't a million miles off. Therefore, even though I'm sceptical about how well we'll do next season I think he'll be given a go. Which I think is fair enough.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2048 on: May 01, 2017, 08:28:39 AM »
Problem is MV what if Bruce continues to flounder in August and September?  One and a half points a game will have us mid table again. The last thing we can afford to have is more of the same.  We have to break out of the cycle of mediocrity.  Is Bruce the man to do it?  I have serious doubts.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2049 on: May 01, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »
Hopefully Tony will review every aspect of the club in the next few weeks.  The gates have been fantastic, the away support phenomenal. Just imagine how much better things might be with something more positive to watch? The merchandise and ticket sales, the optimism and gates can be so much better with the right coaching staff.  Clearly, Bruce no longer inspires players. I think we need someone who does.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2050 on: May 01, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »
Problem is MV what if Bruce continues to flounder in August and September?  One and a half points a game will have us mid table again. The last thing we can afford to have is more of the same.  We have to break out of the cycle of mediocrity.  Is Bruce the man to do it?  I have serious doubts.

My concern as well, bruce after 34 games in charge doesnt know his best 11 and what formation to play. My worry is that bruce gets backed in the summer and then carries on with the same fuckwittery of playing people out of position and after ten games are off the pace and we are back to square one.

The decisions the doc makes this closed season are massive because if we dont go up next season we are fucked and years in the wilderness beckons

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #2051 on: May 01, 2017, 09:05:04 AM »
The only yardstick of performance that truly matters in football is points. Bruce averages 1.5 per game currently. That's not playoff form but isn't a million miles off. Therefore, even though I'm sceptical about how well we'll do next season I think he'll be given a go. Which I think is fair enough.

You have serious doubts about a manager who is the most qualified manager in the league to get us promoted. Pretty sure there are facts to back that up, or at least he's near the top for managers getting teams promoted.

And yet you'd get rid of him and bring in another manager. Who do you think could do better and would want to manage Villa? It's not easy to pick a manager and have them do well in case you haven't noticed.

Just keeping on changing managers and hoping for the best isn't going to work.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #2052 on: May 01, 2017, 09:06:32 AM »
What evidence has been offered to give this guy more time, have we controlled games? have we been free scoring? have we got a defence that can not be breached? have we got a style that is easy to watch and allows the thought that ok, not good at the moment but I can see what he is trying to do?
No is the answer to all the above, so we have been forced to continue to watch comedy defending at times, lack of movement, lack of ability to pass to a team mate, one guy who if he does not have a good game, or has to go away on international duty we have not got a goal in the whole team, an ageing midfielder who when he is not playing or when he comes back from playing internationals half way around the world lasts 60 minutes if we are lucky,these are issues that he has had to deal with, but if their is evidence of a plan to overcome these issues, it must be a Baldrick cunning style plan, as it has not been seen.

What evidence? Go look back over his managerial career. More evidence than vast majority of other managers in our situation.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2053 on: May 01, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »

You have serious doubts about a manager who is the most qualified manager in the league to get us promoted. Pretty sure there are facts to back that up, or at least he's near the top for managers getting teams promoted.

And yet you'd get rid of him and bring in another manager. Who do you think could do better and would want to manage Villa? It's not easy to pick a manager and have them do well in case you haven't noticed.

As we have seen first hand with every appointment since MON. All of them preceded by calls for change on here, all of them ending in failure.

I am not 100% convinced with Bruce but his record of getting teams out of this division is amongst the best and he has the personality not to be phased by the size of the club and the task facing us. At the moment going for a third manager in less than 12 months smacks of panic and short term thinking. My own feeling is that the owner will also be reluctant to go down that route.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2054 on: May 01, 2017, 09:29:58 AM »

I have serious doubts about a manager who has been saying the same things post match for 5 months then does exactly the same thing the next game, has no in game management, plays players out of position, buys players without having thought where they fit.

Take kodija out of the team and we would have really been in the shit - as we were in jan and feb. For me bruce has made zero impact

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal