collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:34 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113931 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #1995 on: April 30, 2017, 11:57:34 AM »
Going back to my original post, I honestly thought Paul had been a regular down there this season seeing as he's gone to great length's at times to knock Bruce's football under us and took poster's like me and many others to task when we've said Bruce is the right man at the moment. That's not me knocking how many times he's been by the way, it's not my place to do that.

Oh and Darren Woolley is the best fan.

I honestly don't think I've done that at all.  What I've said, fairly consistently, is that the sort of team's that Bruce puts together are teams that struggle to stay in the premier league and I personally think going for a pragmatic option to get us up and then start again once we're promoted is the wrong approach, I'd rather we'd taken a longer term view and got in younger players with the right technique and skillset who could've developed together (with players like Jedi there to mentor them through for a season or 2).  I didn't take anyone to task, I just argued against the idea that playing the way we are is the only way out of this league, the evidence of teams that have been promoted over the last 10 years backs me up and even this year the 2 teams that are going to get the automatic spots have mixed the battling results with games where they've dominated and been comfortable.

My opinion of Bruce isn't based on 30 odd games at Villa (regardless of how many of them I've seen live), it's based on his entire career as a manager.  I've seen his teams play enough times to know that how we're playing now is what he does, he creates a solid back 4, an industrious midfield in front of them and plays for the clean sheet.  He then hopes for a goal or 2 from a set piece or a bit of magic from the 1-2 players that he lets really express themselves.

We've been down the young and hungry players route before, where ended up with Ashley Westwood so no do not want to go down that route ever again

Just because it didn't work at a higher level with a different manager doesn't mean it wouldn't work at a lower level developing the players as you go with a certain number of experienced good professionals in the team.  Having the right type of experienced players is essential.  They need to be players that help the young players, not ones that just play for themselves.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #1996 on: April 30, 2017, 12:06:19 PM »
The other thing we will need to take into account, not only is it getting rid of the players we do not want, but Johny boy I feel will be on his way, probably the only one that we would want to keep and before anyone says "We do not have to sell him" we are in the 21st century where football players hold the power not the clubs. Good sum for him, but my god I would not then want to give that to Bruce to spend.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1997 on: April 30, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
Gardner - Lansbury - Bacuna

Gil - Sanchez - Veretout

Which do you prefer?

A kick in the bollocks or a punch in the bollocks.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
Re: Bruce is out of this world
« Reply #1998 on: April 30, 2017, 12:29:29 PM »
We've been down the young and hungry players route before, where ended up with Ashley Westwood so no do not want to go down that route ever again

There's nothing wrong at all with buying young players with potential and trying to make them better. It's what almost all clubs do. With the exception of Benteke (who was the real deal in spite of our coaching) it went wrong for us because our manager was a massive idiot. I wouldn't trust Lambert to improve an apple crumble if he had a jug of custard in his hand.  I doubt Bruce is a man to trust with the young and hungry approach but it can't be ruled out forever because we don't have the money to keep buying the finished article.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1999 on: April 30, 2017, 12:36:48 PM »
it's like saying we shouldn't buy any more experienced premier league players because we went down that road with Lescott, Richards and N'zogbia 

Offline St AustellAVFC

« Reply #2000 on: April 30, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »
He's going to resign after the game on Sunday. Fat Harry will walk as well and mr Bruce will become SHA manager all within a week. As for us, f**k knows who we will end up with.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2001 on: April 30, 2017, 01:08:39 PM »
Would be nice to quote Sherlock Holmes bearing in mind his Aston connection that the dog did not back in the night.  For dog, read Tony Xia for bark read tweet.  Our owner's Twitter silence indicates dissatisfaction I presume.

I imagine Wyness and Bruce will have an end of season cards-on-the-table meeting.  They will decide the best way to mollify the owner will be to say they do not need to spend any more money.  Cue more of the same next season.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2002 on: April 30, 2017, 01:12:12 PM »
Dr X doesn't strike me as a patient man (pun unintentional).

Online aj2k77

« Reply #2003 on: April 30, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
Would you be patient if people constantly piss your money up the wall and give you the never ending 'jam tomorrow' spiel?

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2004 on: April 30, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »
it's like saying we shouldn't buy any more experienced premier league players because we went down that road with Lescott, Richards and N'zogbia
This exactly. Young and hungry could have been Dele Alli not Westwood.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2005 on: April 30, 2017, 01:23:48 PM »
I don't think Xia is anything like Lerner, but I think it's notable how that first wave of low-value billionaires are desperate to offload their clubs and are doing so in a no-investment devaluation so they can cut and run. Sunderland are in the same boat now as Villa were, and the likes of Forest and Blackburn have rotten owners. My fear with Xia is the time limit he will place on his plans, and whether he has the patience to see his project through. I think the sooner we're back in the big time the better, and I think we'll waste another year if Bruce isn't given his cards.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2006 on: April 30, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »
Would you be patient if people constantly piss your money up the wall and give you the never ending 'jam tomorrow' spiel?

Nope.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2007 on: April 30, 2017, 01:28:42 PM »
Different one. For Steve Bruce he deserves some time to put his plans into action. For me and thousands of the villa we don't think he is good enough and should let go.  It's too soon to say he is a failure but we all know he is no Saunders, Taylor, little, big rob or even mon or John Gregory   I would therefore forget the niceties it's football after all and get rid sooner rather than later.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2008 on: April 30, 2017, 01:31:04 PM »
We have had 6 7 years of the club making poor decisions. The longer this goes on the longer and less likely it becomes that this club will return to competing at the top of English football and for trophies.Keeping Bruce as manager will be just another of those decisions.
This season has been a fuck up where we have ended with an ineffective Manager and a squad full of duds and misfits.
When does the turnaround begin?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2009 on: April 30, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »
In my opinion, come the summer we do what is needed to get Eddie Howe. I love what he has done at Bournemouth. Might sound a little crazy here but I sense a bit of Sir Graham about him. Watched an interview with him a few weeks back and I just love his fire and energy and drive. His team plays super football and like Watford did all those years back, Bournemouth punch well above their weight. I believe he's ready for the challenge of bringing a massive club back to prominence. I want the Doc/Wyness to move mountains to bring him to Villa Park.

We may be Aston Villa and they may be Bournemouth but there's no way he's leaving a stable prem job for an unpredictable on in the championship.

When Howe leaves Bournemouth it will be for a step up in the prem like Everton or Southampton I reckon.

He could manage us one day but we'd need to be at the level of 2007-10 and who knows how long that will take.

What's unpredictable about us? We have a very ambitious board, a passionate Chairman who has invested huge amounts already and will again. The ceiling at Aston Villa is so much higher than Bournemouth. In 87 Sir Graham left Watford in 9th to take over a shambles of a club just relegated. And he was referring to everything about the club back then. While we are not playing well right now we are hardly a shambles as a club today.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal