collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113716 times)

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #1800 on: April 18, 2017, 03:53:37 PM »
Looking at the poll I am relieved that there are still 62% of us that either do nor want him sacked or at least given until the start of 2017/18 season.

I'm no fan of his but to sack him now would be idiocy.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1801 on: April 18, 2017, 03:55:20 PM »
Looking at the poll I am relieved that there are still 62% of us that either do nor want him sacked or at least given until the start of 2017/18 season.

Idiocy? It might be unkind, or unwise, or unfair, but idiocy? I'd rather reserve that for hiring-McLeish-levels of decision-making.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1802 on: April 18, 2017, 04:38:48 PM »
You're not going to attract a manager like Wagner to a club which demonstrates no patience.

People on here wanting Bruce out for apparently not improving us one bit would have been saying the same if they were Huddersfield fans last season.

Our last three defeats; Huddersfield, Reading and Fulham, all in the Play Offs, all not spent huge sums, all looked unimpressive for large chunks over two games and all struggled last season. Huddersfield, who struggled the most stuck with their manager who improved them not one bit and gave him a pre-season.

Sometimes things can dramatically improve, even when you don't have millions to help you along the way.

So blind faith that Bruce can turn us into a different team to any other he's managed to put together.  I admire your optimism but I just don't get why you you're so willing to give Bruce time and over look everything he does wrong.  For some people who are solidly behind him at least they're consistent and have wanted every manager to get a couple of years but you were calling for RDM to go after 9 games and yet now you're preaching patience at everyone, that's what I don't get.

On top of that you're ignoring one important fact with Huddersfield, the results weren't there but the performances were improving (if you look into fans opinions) so most of their fans wanted to see him get a summer to get the players fit.  I know this because I looked into him on their forums when we were looking for a new manager and his name came up.  That's the exact opposite to us, for us the results have been ok but the performances have never improved, he's bought players he doesn't know how to use and he's trying to shoe-horn Gabby and Richards back into the squad because they were good 5 years ago.  I can honestly see a team next season with Samba, Richards and Gabby all heavily involved.

I agree with your points Paul.  We always get the "but what manager would come if we sack X" comments, but a big club like Villa with a generous owner will always attract a big manager.

I started this thread, and fickle twat that I am, I've waivered on Bruce, but deep down I now don't think he's the right manager for us.  I think he's a flat track bully, who can mostly get a decent promotion team together by spending big, but then who struggles after that, and I think his time has come and gone.  The football under him this season has been horrendous, and our three best players in Chester, Baker and Kodjia haven't been signed by him.  If Huddersfield fail in the play offs, I think we should go all out to get Wagner, as I think his skills, added to the backing of Dr Xia would be a recipe for success.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1803 on: April 18, 2017, 04:47:26 PM »
Same as you Risso, I thought the appointment of Bruce after the RDM experiment was a pragmatic step which hopefully would lead to a shot at the play offs or at least a team shape and consistency to build on.
What has emerged is a team without identity, structure and lacks flexibility.
Add to this strange formations, selections and player acquisitions and we have close to the same sort of mess to sort out as last summer.
We really can not take another shot in the dark at another season.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1804 on: April 18, 2017, 04:58:49 PM »
Why do persist with suggesting it's blind faith. It's a frustrating argument; I'm using nought but faith, therefore your opinion must be using logic to form your reasoning.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1805 on: April 18, 2017, 05:48:55 PM »
Why do persist with suggesting it's blind faith. It's a frustrating argument; I'm using nought but faith, therefore your opinion must be using logic to form your reasoning.

He's been here 32 games, on form since he arrived we're 11th. The results don't suggest automatic promotion.

We've earned 4 points in that time where we conceded the first goal.

We're defensively ok (and had a purole patch of clean sheets) but have conceded more that a goal a game, in attack we've been absymal other than Kodjia.

We look disorganised and lost, he hasn't settled on a formation and the only olayer he got in January who has settled is Taylor.

So if you want to talk logic please give me some logical reasons to think he deserves the belief you're giving him.

Even his last promotion was achieved by scraping into the playoffs with a late push.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1806 on: April 18, 2017, 05:55:19 PM »
I'm also coming round to the idea that its time to move Bruce on at the end of the season. The football is by and large turgid and I have seen nothing, even in the string of wins, to suggest the football will get better. Whilst wins are more important it never looked like any of those wins were 'in the bag' and owed as much to the opposition as they did to us. I'd like him to go and a manager that can play a more expansive game and looking to win games can come in and do the job. Bruce isn't that man. I think he'll do well to survive losing next week come the summer.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1807 on: April 18, 2017, 05:58:46 PM »

I think the most dangerous option is the " let's see what happens"
We either back him or sack him unless we want a repeat of the last 2 seasons.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #1808 on: April 18, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »

Please explain why? It's awful football, truely awful. Bruce will not change now or in the future. Is that what you want for our club

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #1809 on: April 18, 2017, 06:08:55 PM »

Please explain why? It's awful football, truely awful. Bruce will not change now or in the future. Is that what you want for our club

Agreed. Even in our purple patch, the football was rotten. His subs yesterday were bizarre. Swapping right backs, then bringing on an extra forward for a bit, then taking one off, when chasing the game. He'll probably pick Bunn on Sunday.

Online KRS

« Reply #1810 on: April 18, 2017, 06:17:50 PM »
What I really struggle to understand with Bruce is why he doesn't utilise a formation to suit the players he purchased and consistently plays them out of position. If Hourihane, Lansbury and Hogan were good enough to be signed based on their form at their previous clubs, then why does he insist on not utilising them in the roles in which they are proven to be successful? If he wanted to set us up defensively then why didn't he identify and buy players that would be more suited to that style of play rather than pigeon holing attack minded players into defensive roles?! It doesn't make sense.

I can't see Bruce being replaced this summer, so if he thinks the defence isn't good enough and needs the additional protection, then he needs to strengthen the back four sufficiently so he can use our creative midfielders and forwards in their right positions next season.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #1811 on: April 19, 2017, 12:00:07 AM »
I don't know how the data from 110 polled out of a fan base of how many stacks up ? I do agree with many of the comments now though that Bruce isn't going to change. He is a one trick promotion pony and it hasn't worked for him
Here this season despite the fantastic backing of our board. My first thought when I read the thread was give him a chance but now I realise I'm wrong , with what he's had to spend and the negative way he sets the team up / no tactical skill he needs replacing now.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1812 on: April 19, 2017, 12:09:07 AM »
What I really struggle to understand with Bruce is why he doesn't utilise a formation to suit the players he purchased and consistently plays them out of position. If Hourihane, Lansbury and Hogan were good enough to be signed based on their form at their previous clubs, then why does he insist on not utilising them in the roles in which they are proven to be successful? If he wanted to set us up defensively then why didn't he identify and buy players that would be more suited to that style of play rather than pigeon holing attack minded players into defensive roles?! It doesn't make sense.

I can't see Bruce being replaced this summer, so if he thinks the defence isn't good enough and needs the additional protection, then he needs to strengthen the back four sufficiently so he can use our creative midfielders and forwards in their right positions next season.

There was little thought put into Bruce's signings, he crazily went to three at the back post Brentford and again yesterday with disastrous results. Hogan is a goal poacher only it seems but we often don't play with wingers and he is clearly unsuited to playing with Kodjia. Lansbury adds no mobility next to Jedinak. Hourihane played centrally at Barnsley but again has been shoehorned by Bruce into playing right of Lansbury early on and seemingly left mid too. Bree has struggled to shift Hutton out of the side and on yesterday's evidence you can see why.

I'm all for players taking responsibility but there appears a bigger macro problem with Bruce and his coaching team. Bruce signed technically strong players so why are we playing direct football?

Brighton, where Calderwood was no.2 are a very well drilled team in comparison to us. Bruce had a tougher job at Hull last term but delivered. It's puzzling

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #1813 on: April 19, 2017, 06:47:52 AM »

There was little thought put into Bruce's signings, he crazily went to three at the back post Brentford and again yesterday with disastrous results. Hogan is a goal poacher only it seems but we often don't play with wingers and he is clearly unsuited to playing with Kodjia. Lansbury adds no mobility next to Jedinak. Hourihane played centrally at Barnsley but again has been shoehorned by Bruce into playing right of Lansbury early on and seemingly left mid too. Bree has struggled to shift Hutton out of the side and on yesterday's evidence you can see why.

I'm all for players taking responsibility but there appears a bigger macro problem with Bruce and his coaching team. Bruce signed technically strong players so why are we playing direct football?

Brighton, where Calderwood was no.2 are a very well drilled team in comparison to us. Bruce had a tougher job at Hull last term but delivered. It's puzzling
You hit the nail on the head with the comment on play acquisition. No thought at all put into it and it will cost us dearly I fear.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1814 on: April 19, 2017, 07:05:47 AM »
I don't understand the argument that Lansbury has no mobility. He is a box to box player and when not shackled to holding a line 10 yards in front of the back four, he shows this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal