collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by devilla
[Today at 01:00:22 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113285 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Bruce is out of this world
« Reply #1695 on: April 17, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »
Auntie, I think you could be onto something with the theory about feeling sorry for Elphick.  All the time Bruce has been with us I have refrained from being excessively critical on the basis that "he can't be that stupid".  Massaging Gabby back into the team.  Ditto Richards.  Letting Gestede go a month too early.  Mollycoddling Mad Tom.  I have though Wyness and Bruce have got their heads together and plan to drop the shit on some unsuspecting mugs.  Like Fulham, McCormack and us.  But perhaps there is no cunning plan and he really thinks Gabby, Richards and Elphick are quality players.  What if he really is that thick.  Can't be can he?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Steve Bruce: In or out?
« Reply #1696 on: April 17, 2017, 06:15:23 PM »
I didn't understand his selection or system; Gardner back? Why? He was unsurprisingly abysmal and made our midfield so pace less. Grealish starting- should have been hooked at half time, I don't care how good a finish it was, that was an awful excuse of a display.

3 at the back- why? Against one of the smallest and physically weakest sides we've played all season.

The system saw us get hurt badly out wide as there was no cover. It was far too easy to attack us with the centre halves far too narrow.

Shocking today from Bruce.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1697 on: April 17, 2017, 06:16:25 PM »
Why is it whenever we either are on a bad run, have injuries or rest people we return to 3/5 at the back? and lose, again, and then admit to the mistake, only to make it again not long after.

Fucking idiots.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Bruce is out of this world
« Reply #1698 on: April 17, 2017, 06:22:42 PM »
Going back a little to the league table and whether we've improved since RDM, etc.  The important bit for me is that in the 32 games since Bruce joined we have 48 points, would be 11th in the league and we've scored 35 goals, conceding 34.  We're the absolute definition of a midtable team so why do so many fans think he will turn it areound and we'll walk promotion next season?

We had a purple patch where we just weren't conceding goals but I just don't think we can rely on being that team for 46 games, especially when the gameplan seems to be defend first and then hope for something to happen.

I didn't think Bruce was the right choice at the time and nothing in the last 6 1/2 months has convinced me that I was wrong.  He's done nothing to address the problems that he identifies every week and if anything they're getting worse.  Going back to 532 again today shows once again that he has no idea of tactics and his first sub being to change the right back when we were 2 nil down and the 2nd being to take off the left back (which left a massive gap for them to attack into) is just more evidence that he doesn't know how to use his bench to alter a game.  We got a lifeline with a wonder strike from nowhere but it never looked like being enough.  I guess some people will ignore all of that though and just blame Kodjia because it's easier.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1699 on: April 17, 2017, 06:25:11 PM »
Thought our fullbacks were garbage and got caught time and time again down the flanks. Bizarre team selection by Bruce and I don't know what he's playing at but let's face it other than Small Heath next week we've nothing to play for. Treat it like a pre-season for next, and I think we'll look like a completely different team come August.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1700 on: April 17, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »
I'm for sticking with Bruce but it's hard to argue against anyone who wanted Bruce out, there's been glaring mistakes, a small upturn, no noticeable pattern to play and very few goals. All in all it's been poor.

So much work to do over summer, again, I wouldn't be surprised if we are throwing cash around again.

Goalkeeper
Left back
Centre back
Centre mid
Wide player

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #1701 on: April 17, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »
Thread title changed. Poll reset and amended.

Ridiculous I know to be considering another change but Bruce has hardly been a breathe of fresh air - Someone like Ranieri would at least create some spark and interest for positive reasons.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1702 on: April 17, 2017, 06:26:26 PM »
The performances have by and large been slightly better than under Di Matteo, in that we haven't managed to shotgun ourselves in the head at the end of every single game, football wise it's been shit.

The results have been better but I wouldn't say the performances have.  I think we were much better to watch under RDM, we just had a leaky defence and a tendency to shoot ourselves in both feet.  Up until recently Bruce and Calderwood seemed to have fixed the leaky defence but at the expense of pretty much every creative urge except Kodija's goal poaching.  I don't like Bruce or his football approach but I guess we have to see what he can do at the start of next season.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1703 on: April 17, 2017, 06:28:37 PM »
Thread title changed. Poll reset and amended.

"Bruce out" was the lucky thread title, change it back to that, pretty please.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #1704 on: April 17, 2017, 06:31:24 PM »
We are a slow, ponderous, predictable dinosaur of a team with dinosaur in charge.
So many of those teams above us play sharp, mobile, incisive football.
The fact that we don't, and haven't even threatened the top 6 spots all season says much about the way we play and its effectiveness.

With Bruce in charge next season, I think it will be much of the same and don't think we have a hope in going up automatically.

When you look at how far we are off it is a disgrace

Even though we couldnt make the play offs, finishing the season strongly would have been something to build on

Fuck me bruce cant even decide on a formation

Add to that the huge wedge that Dr X has spunked on players - and we have even more reason to hold SB accountable for his methodology & decision making. So much for nurturing those "green shoots of recovery" that he often goes on about. The last 2 'performances' have been as bad as anything I witnessed under the hapless RDM. It's absolutely unacceptable & has to be sorted if we have designs on getting out of this division any time soon.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1705 on: April 17, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »
The lack of dynamism and ability to dominate games is a real concern. Bruce's selections are concerning me a bit.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #1706 on: April 17, 2017, 06:33:01 PM »
Auntie, I think you could be onto something with the theory about feeling sorry for Elphick.  All the time Bruce has been with us I have refrained from being excessively critical on the basis that "he can't be that stupid".  Massaging Gabby back into the team.  Ditto Richards.  Letting Gestede go a month too early.  Mollycoddling Mad Tom.  I have though Wyness and Bruce have got their heads together and plan to drop the shit on some unsuspecting mugs.  Like Fulham, McCormack and us.  But perhaps there is no cunning plan and he really thinks Gabby, Richards and Elphick are quality players.  What if he really is that thick.  Can't be can he?

I really do think he is Brian. I'm losing what little confidence I had left in SB.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1707 on: April 17, 2017, 06:33:09 PM »
Well for me he has flatted to deceive so if I were Tony Xia I would be looking for replacement.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1708 on: April 17, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »
We are approaching 50 games this season. How many of them have been good performances, genuinely good, not clogger backs to the wall 10 men behind the ball and kill the game performances but one's here we play decent football, create a few chances, control the tempo?

3 or 4?

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1709 on: April 17, 2017, 06:35:21 PM »
We are approaching 50 games this season. How many of them have been good performances, genuinely good, not clogger backs to the wall 10 men behind the ball and kill the game performances but one's here we play decent football, create a few chances, control the tempo?

3 or 4?
The only ones' where any decent football was played were before he came.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal