collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113746 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Bruce is out of this world
« Reply #1680 on: April 16, 2017, 05:35:37 PM »
I wonder if Wynass's theory about building  3 teams will also apply to the manager.  I can see him getting us out of this division  simply by having the best team/squad, thanks to Dr Tony. 

Put him in a position where he will need to use his brain I think he will fail miserably (namely in a return to the premiership).

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1681 on: April 16, 2017, 08:03:25 PM »
We seem to have divided opinions about the manager, with the argument based on comparison with the other manager.  Rather than comparing Bruce with RDM, shouldn't we be forgetting RDM as that was the past.  Bruce has to stand up for the now and the future when it comes down to scrutiny.

As others have said, RDM looked defeated after the Preston game and didn't look as though he had it in him for a fight to turn it around and get us into the play-offs.  I think that he would have turned it around and seen us finish not much lower than where we are now, given the time.  One question I haven't seen raised is who took over an easier position, RDM and the inherited mess of last season or Bruce with a team low on confidence.

Bruce has had two decent spells (one very good), either side of a very poor spell.  As most would agree, the vast majority of wins have been of the 'just about won' type.  The problem with this is that they can easily turn to the 'just about lost' type of matches, as we saw after Xmas.

We have become a lot tighter at the back but that has been, in my opinion, based on numbers rather than quality of the defenders.  The trouble with this is that it affects you so much as an attacking force.  To finish in the top two next season, we need 4 defenders and a DM player to look after the defence side of the game and the other 5 outfield players to develop the attacking side of the game.  Add to this, one or both of the fullbacks to add width when required.  I cannot see Bruce setting us up in this way and that is why I think we will struggle to finish in the top two, with play-offs the best we can hope for.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1682 on: April 16, 2017, 08:09:52 PM »
for me it's the start that counts - Norwich had a good start and got into some form, then went to shit and have never fully recovered
Cracking example there of why its not really the start that counts.

The most reliable guide to where you'll finish the season is your league position after every team has played 46 matches.

Indeed. When people say "The table doesn't lie" it's bollocks, it lies all season until all the games are played.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1683 on: April 16, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »
The most reliable guide to where you'll finish the season is your league position after every team has played 46 matches.
I agree however what if "your league" is made up of fewer or more than 46 matches?

(I think I have cornered him now the clever clog)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1684 on: April 17, 2017, 05:50:20 PM »
Black mark for playing Kodjia today.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #1685 on: April 17, 2017, 05:52:47 PM »
Is Steve Bruce the person to get us promoted next season ?
Would Claudio Ranieri be worth a punt? - cant be worse than watching the dire stuff we have witnessed this season.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1686 on: April 17, 2017, 05:56:07 PM »
The performances have by and large been slightly better than under Di Matteo, in that we haven't managed to shotgun ourselves in the head at the end of every single game, football wise it's been shit.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #1687 on: April 17, 2017, 06:00:02 PM »
Why - in the name of McGrath - did Bruce decide to play that fecking 5-3-2 nonsense again today? I can only think that he must have felt sorry for Mad Tommy & decided to accommodate him in a formation that our mob clearly can't play. The defense were an utter shambles & we could - and probably should - have been on the receiving end of a proper hammering (with or without bloody Kodjia). I was starting to think at least we'd have the satisfaction of helping send The Rags to a laughable relegation next Sunday, but the last 2 debacles have scuppered any belief I had in that happening. What a piss-poor end to a very disappointing season. Again.  ::)

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1688 on: April 17, 2017, 06:01:49 PM »
Is Steve Bruce the person to get us promoted next season ?
Would Claudio Ranieri be worth a punt? - cant be worse than watching the dire stuff we have witnessed this season.

With you on this.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1689 on: April 17, 2017, 06:03:23 PM »
I can only think he was giving a chance to the squad players like Gardner, Elphick and Grealish... they re-paid him well didn't they.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1690 on: April 17, 2017, 06:07:47 PM »
We are a slow, ponderous, predictable dinosaur of a team with dinosaur in charge.
So many of those teams above us play sharp, mobile, incisive football.
The fact that we don't, and haven't even threatened the top 6 spots all season says much about the way we play and its effectiveness.

With Bruce in charge next season, I think it will be much of the same and don't think we have a hope in going up automatically.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1691 on: April 17, 2017, 06:08:29 PM »
The 3 of them are shit, no bones about it. Get rid in the summer.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1692 on: April 17, 2017, 06:09:13 PM »
Gardner played okay, to be fair. I'd have rested Kodjia, Jedinak and Baker.

If we lose on Sunday some will start to question the wisdom of sticking with him for next season.

Can a mod change the name of the thread back please, this new name is unlucky.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #1693 on: April 17, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »
We are a slow, ponderous, predictable dinosaur of a team with dinosaur in charge.
So many of those teams above us play sharp, mobile, incisive football.
The fact that we don't, and haven't even threatened the top 6 spots all season says much about the way we play and its effectiveness.

With Bruce in charge next season, I think it will be much of the same and don't think we have a hope in going up automatically.

When you look at how far we are off it is a disgrace

Even though we couldnt make the play offs, finishing the season strongly would have been something to build on

Fuck me bruce cant even decide on a formation

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Steve Bruce: In or out?
« Reply #1694 on: April 17, 2017, 06:14:19 PM »
Thread title changed. Poll reset and amended.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal