collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2115162 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Bruce is out of this world
« Reply #1665 on: April 16, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »
Other sides had a pre-season and something from.previous seasons to learn and build from.  We wasted June-October and have never been able to catch up, while we and so had to learn how to stop being a whipping boy and build some mental strength.

Picking utter garbage like Bacuna doesn't do us any favours mind. Amavi has talent but no idea; all this is known.

I get a strong impression that there are four or five in the squad that Bruce would put out with his recycling if he could.

There's a basis there of a very good squad. We're not playing Bruce's preferred formation and it surprises me that he's not shoehorned a player in to allow for 442, but the past 10 games yielding 22 points I suppose it's hard to justify mixing it up, when it's the form that would see us win the league.

What was noticeable is how comfortable in those games we were. We held the opposition off quite handily if never really exploding and handing out a pasting. It was consistent, not feast or famine. That's what people can see and that's why I think we'll win the league as the dreadnought whirls into life next season.

Time for a tilt at 442. Hogan and Kodjia linked well.at Norwich and Hogan is only going to get going with a run upnfront; substitutions and injuries have hampered him.

I agree with Clampy, we do react fairly badly to a defeat, but it's the position we find ourselves in. The manner yesterday was embrrassing, but that's been the exception rather than the norm these past 2 months.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1666 on: April 16, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
I do think that we should be a lot closer to the play off's than we're are now. That said, I don't think it's a reason for us to have yet another managerial change and the inevitable player out and in's that go with it. We have a chance to have a pre-season of limited upheaval for the first time in a while and we might be better off for it.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1667 on: April 16, 2017, 10:52:13 AM »
See Brian Green's post on the match thread. Page 8. On the money.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #1668 on: April 16, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »
Following a great run of results a Steve Bruce Villa side loses a game, shock horror, lets reset the poll on whether we should sack him.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1669 on: April 16, 2017, 11:28:58 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37458483

This was the table after PNE away.

15 points off Huddersfield, 12 off Newcastle etc. We gave teams like SHA and Bristol City 10 point starts and are now comfortably above both but to me it's a bit optimistic to think SB could just come in, click his fingers and we'd be above 15 other clubs by now.

I thought Sheff Weds had a really slow start to the season but they were 7 points ahead of us by that stage aswell.

So we then had a pretty good run under SB up to Burton on Boxing day. Here's the table then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38360695

We were still 6 points off so we cut the gap but it wasn't like we were on the brink of making the top 6 at that point. What's most interesting is the top 7 that day 4 months ago is exactly the same as it is now, hardly any of them have lost form for a major period.

To me we've had a similar season to Derby. Talented squad who just appointed the wrong manager in July, wasted the opening months, now got the right manager in charge but will still be way off top 6, Derby lost more at Brentford the other day than we did.

I just look at it it's bloody tough to make up so much ground on the top 6 when you have a terrible start as we and Derby did. The odd team here and there does it but it's not a good idea to give apparent promotion rivals 15 point head starts really.

I just find it a bit bemusing SB is getting all the blame now and RDM reign is getting airbrushed, he did have the luxury of starting level on points with every other team in this league and it was a very lax transfer campaign thinking Tishbola was the answer to our midfield problems.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1670 on: April 16, 2017, 11:39:29 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37458483

This was the table after PNE away.

15 points off Huddersfield, 12 off Newcastle etc. We gave teams like SHA and Bristol City 10 point starts and are now comfortably above both but to me it's a bit optimistic to think SB could just come in, click his fingers and we'd be above 15 other clubs by now.

I thought Sheff Weds had a really slow start to the season but they were 7 points ahead of us by that stage aswell.

So we then had a pretty good run under SB up to Burton on Boxing day. Here's the table then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38360695

We were still 6 points off so we cut the gap but it wasn't like we were on the brink of making the top 6 at that point. What's most interesting is the top 7 that day 4 months ago is exactly the same as it is now, hardly any of them have lost form for a major period.

To me we've had a similar season to Derby. Talented squad who just appointed the wrong manager in July, wasted the opening months, now got the right manager in charge but will still be way off top 6, Derby lost more at Brentford the other day than we did.

I just look at it it's bloody tough to make up so much ground on the top 6 when you have a terrible start as we and Derby did. The odd team here and there does it but it's not a good idea to give apparent promotion rivals 15 point head starts really.

I just find it a bit bemusing SB is getting all the blame now and RDM reign is getting airbrushed, he did have the luxury of starting level on points with every other team in this league and it was a very lax transfer campaign thinking Tishbola was the answer to our midfield problems.

Probably for me sums it up better than i've read elsewhere on here. Both the bad run's cost us.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1671 on: April 16, 2017, 11:49:13 AM »
He doesn't even mention the bad run under Bruce, its a post thats aimed at absolving Bruce of any blame and holding RDM fully accountable for the season.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1672 on: April 16, 2017, 12:00:48 PM »
He doesn't even mention the bad run under Bruce, its a post thats aimed at absolving Bruce of any blame and holding RDM fully accountable for the season.

Steve Bruce made some very odd calls in January for such an experienced manager. Thinking Gabby and briefly McCormack could fill the void left by Kodjia was a strange one for an experienced manager and cost us points.

Jedinak getting injured for 4 weeks didn't help either so we had to go back to playing Westwood. We'd have beaten PNE and nicked some draws away I think if he'd been playing.

As far as I see it we had the poor run under SB when we were still well adrift of the top 6. We had ours under RDM when we were level with every other club in the division and starts to the season shape the year you're going to have. If we'd been 6 points clear in the top 6 and had that terrible run to fall out of them like we did in Jan-Feb then yes I would be in the Bruce out camp.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:02:34 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1673 on: April 16, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »
I am not sure which bad run destroyed our play off chances more. The RDM 10 points from 10 games or Steve Bruce 1 point from 8? Pure facts would point towards 1 out of 24. so it's been a bit of roller coaster so far this season and that's what makes me nervous about next season.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1674 on: April 16, 2017, 12:26:11 PM »
for me it's the start that counts - Norwich had a good start and got into some form, then went to shit and have never fully recovered any consistency but still managed to spank Reading - a top four side most of the season  after losing to us. At no point this season have we looked remotely capable of hitting anyone 7-1.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1675 on: April 16, 2017, 12:33:46 PM »

The bad run was a consequence of the summer as much as anything else. We had to do what no manager likes doing in January and that's buying a load of players, because unfortunately we needed them.

I'd have kept Gestede longer and done my best for a loan option myself, as SHQ suggests in his second post.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:35:46 PM by Ads »

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1676 on: April 16, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »
Believe me if we have 1 win in 10 going into October 3rd next season I'll be in the Bruce out camp like I imagine everyone else.

We need something like 10 points from our first 5 games and then if we get that sort of points haul regularly we'll be right up there even if there are still flaws in the team.

We should be capable, we used to have good starts at premier league level. Lambert managed one three seasons ago.

If we can be pacesetters of a league for once that will really lift confidence on and off the pitch I reckon.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1677 on: April 16, 2017, 02:38:34 PM »
for me it's the start that counts - Norwich had a good start and got into some form, then went to shit and have never fully recovered
Cracking example there of why its not really the start that counts.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1678 on: April 16, 2017, 02:43:53 PM »
for me it's the start that counts - Norwich had a good start and got into some form, then went to shit and have never fully recovered
Cracking example there of why its not really the start that counts.

The most reliable guide to where you'll finish the season is your league position after every team has played 46 matches.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1679 on: April 16, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »
yes re reading  my post I missed out something vital - but I can't remember what it was. That's what watching the Villa does to you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal