collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114093 times)

Offline villan from luton

Re: Bruce is out of this world
« Reply #1650 on: April 15, 2017, 11:52:58 PM »
I do agree that we have to employ the players we have to the best effect, and that is to attack. We have talented players and they need to be allowed to show it

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1651 on: April 16, 2017, 12:19:21 AM »
Wed won one in 10, we're in the bottom 3. You're moaning about Bruce getting a free pass, which his not, because I highlight a very real possibility of a double dip under the Aloof One.

RDM was utter shite.

but you're one of the people that thinks Bruce deserves more time and yet you called for RDM to be sacked after about 9 games and are now absolutely positive that we'd have been relegated if he'd stayed.  I don't agree with the free pass comment but I think you and a few others are so sure that Bruce can repeat his 'success' with us that you're not applying to same standards to him that you do to other managers.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1652 on: April 16, 2017, 12:46:21 AM »
I saw the interview with RDM before he got sacked and he looked beat to me.
We took a gamble by bringing Bruce in to get the play offs, it hasn't worked.
Now we are supposed to believe that Bruce is somehow going to start buying and picking the right players, getting us playing a system that works and has the ability to change when things are not working.
There is no evidence of that.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1653 on: April 16, 2017, 05:21:32 AM »
I tend to agree - we'll move players out in the summer and a few will come in, making it very much Bruce's team/squad , but the tactics won't change. Even when we managed to string some wins together we never gave a dominant, progressive performance . Those wins ensured we didn't slide into oblivion, but  a play off bid  was ultimately futile - those above us we simply too far ahead to realistically overtake, due mainly to one win in 12 at the beginning of the season. Obviously our form in January/early February also didn't help, nor did losing key players to ACON. You can afford one spell of poor form in a season, but not two, if you hope to go up.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #1654 on: April 16, 2017, 05:53:51 AM »
We need to face the fact the Bruce does not send a team out to get at the opposition, he sends a team out to stop the opposition, I really hope I am wrong because we need to get out of this shit tip of a division and Bruce doing well would mean he has got us out, but for me he is not the man, I hope the Dr and Wyness are having a look who is available or becomes available this summer, if someone fits the profile get them in. Nice bloke Bruce, talks and identifies the problems after a game, but then allows the same problems to occur again and again.

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #1655 on: April 16, 2017, 06:59:44 AM »
Hence "hindsight".. I doubt we would have gone down under RDM.  Can't possibly judge after so few games.  We played a damn sight better football though, dominated games and were pretty unlucky in that spell. 
If Bruce had been sacked after that awfull run in the new year, we would never have seen his recent run of results..with a far better squad.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1656 on: April 16, 2017, 07:11:35 AM »
I saw all the home games bar one under RDM and in all honesty we didn't play any better - as evidenced by his results. He deserved to go as after a quarter of a season we had managed one win. By then the season for us, was over.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1657 on: April 16, 2017, 07:13:59 AM »
We need to face the fact the Bruce does not send a team out to get at the opposition, he sends a team out to stop the opposition, I really hope I am wrong because we need to get out of this shit tip of a division and Bruce doing well would mean he has got us out, but for me he is not the man, I hope the Dr and Wyness are having a look who is available or becomes available this summer, if someone fits the profile get them in. Nice bloke Bruce, talks and identifies the problems after a game, but then allows the same problems to occur again and again.

Agreed. At one point yesterday, Reading had the ball on the halfway line - we had six across the back with three sat in front and Kodj 20 yards away up front. It was 1-1 at the time.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1658 on: April 16, 2017, 08:09:39 AM »
I'd just like to take this time, once again, to thank Risso for changing the thread title when we had won about seventy games in a row.

*shakes fist angrily.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1659 on: April 16, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »
There does seem to be a but of a kerfuffle on here whenever we lose a game under Bruce. We're not going to win every game, there are going to to bumps in the road every now and then. We just fell well short yesterday. It happens and it will again.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:22:03 AM by Clampy »

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #1660 on: April 16, 2017, 08:30:01 AM »
Here's a question, have we put a performance in under Bruce where anyone has thought we were excellent, controlled the game and played good football? I can't remember any. We may have done for a 10 minute period here and there but I don't remember a dominant and controlling 90 minute performance.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1661 on: April 16, 2017, 08:43:26 AM »
There does seem to be a but of a kerfuffle on here whenever we lose a game under Bruce. We're not going to win every game, there are going to to bumps in the road every now and then. We just fell well short yesterday. It happens and it will again.

it should be more than a kerfuffle
we are 14 points adrift from the play offs, playing woefull stuff

there is nothing that i have seen so far performances, style, tactics, signings, subs, entertainment, shape, possession, that gives me any confidence that he's the man to take us into next season

my only hope is Xia will think the same

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1662 on: April 16, 2017, 09:41:23 AM »
Bruce was on record as saying that he lacked players in midfield who could carry the ball forward, he then went and bought 4 (?) midfielders in January and whilst, Benni apart, they all have talent, none of the signings solve that perceived problem. One that does, Bacuna, has been here all along.

Overall I think Bruce has done very well but we really need to see more going forward and if he can't set up a side to do it when the pressure is off, when can he?

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #1663 on: April 16, 2017, 09:41:41 AM »
Here's a question, have we put a performance in under Bruce where anyone has thought we were excellent, controlled the game and played good football? I can't remember any. We may have done for a 10 minute period here and there but I don't remember a dominant and controlling 90 minute performance.

I was at the BHA match - and although it we didn't totally control the game (unsurprisingly): we did play well. Admittedly it now appears that performance was a veritable 'one-off' at the start of Bruce's stewardship here, the chances we had to put the game to bed then have been a recurring theme. I'm grateful for SB turning round the mess that those before him had effectively created, but I'm yet to be convinced that he'll take us from mid-table mediocrity to promotion contenders next year. I'm sure he'll be given time to further shape the squad during the Summer, so I guess we can hope he's able to build on the 'stabilising job' he's achieved. Finally ridding the club of the wasters who have been happy to take the piss - whilst seeing out their disgustingly lucrative contracts - will hopefully put us in a better position to progress, but that certainly ain't gonna be easy. At least Bruce has the required character & experience to bring about such changes - despite the the worst efforts of those egotistical, mercenary unmentionables. Let's pray it finally happens eh?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:44:04 AM by auntiesledd »

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #1664 on: April 16, 2017, 09:43:06 AM »
Sorry, double post. D'oh!  :o
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:45:37 AM by auntiesledd »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal