collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113041 times)

Online wince

Re: Bruce is out of this world
« Reply #1575 on: April 10, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
As I said earlier, results matter, that's all

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1576 on: April 10, 2017, 07:43:48 PM »
It is not a question of snobbery at all.  It is a question of any person's ability to watch and evaluate accurately what they see at games.  Some people are very good at it, others like me are less than good.  It is a core value of human life.  Some people are better at doing things than others.  It does not make them better people, just better judges in certain fields.

Near where we sit there are at least two ST holders who watch reserve games, youth games, ladies games, warm up games and games abroad.  I value their opinions highly because they are so experienced and well informed.  What they say to me shapes my views.  I do not resent their status.  I have no chip on my shoulder dererring to their expertise.  The better fan than you jibe in these threads is always generated by those feeling slighted.  Some fans are better judges than others.  We should value them not castigate them.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:45:21 PM by brian green »

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1577 on: April 10, 2017, 07:43:57 PM »
John takes it a bit too far but for us to have a run of 22 points out of 27 and still be nowhere near the play offs  does show just how poor a job he'd been doing until this run started.  As I said all along if he makes the top 10 then he'll deserve, purely on results, to go at next season but I can't say I'm happy about it.  The one positive is that I'd been gutted at the lack of streams for games earlier in the season and now I'm just checking the scores once or twice and having the odd read of the match thread whilst I watch something else (generally whatever rugby is on).

I thought you were a season ticket holder or a regular at games to be honest seeing how you've being berating Bruce's style of play since he walked through the door.
Its that better fan than you time again.

As a general rule someone who goes to the match IS a better fan. 

I'm not taking sides at all here but how do you define a "better fan"?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1578 on: April 10, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »
Who's the better fan, the retired millionaire that has the time and money to go to all 46 games with ease or the person that has to scrimp and save and makes sacrifices to go to 3 games?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1579 on: April 10, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
It is not a question of snobbery at all.  It is a question of any person's ability to watch and evaluate accurately what they see at games.  Some people are very good at it, others like me are less than good.  It is a core value of human life.  Some people are better at doing things than others.  It does not make them better people, just better judges in certain fields.

Near where we sit there are at least two ST holders who watch reserve games, youth games, ladies games, warm up games and games abroad.  I value their opinions highly because they are so experienced and well informed.  What they say to me shapes my views.  I do not resent their status.  I have no chip on my shoulder dererring to their expertise.  The better fan than you jibe in these threads is always generated by those feeling slighted.  Some fans are better judges than others.  We should value them not castigate them.

That first paragraph is exactly my point and doesn't really have anything to do with going to loads of games or going to 1-2 games a season.

My issue is that I mentioned how many games I go to and Clampy used that to, quite obviously, make a dig that I shouldn't comment about what I see as the fialings of Bruce as a manager because I haven't watched enough games.  That's the snobbery I'm talking about.  People who watch a lot of games live and share their thoughts are great, I have nothing against them at all, Larry Duff on here is a fantastic example and I really like reading his thoughts on the kids.  Someone using it to say that an opinion is worth less (not worthless, the space is intentional) purely on attendance to games is just a cheap shot for me.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1580 on: April 10, 2017, 07:57:11 PM »
Who's the better fan, the retired millionaire that has the time and money to go to all 46 games with ease or the person that has to scrimp and save and makes sacrifices to go to 3 games?

The millionaire?

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1581 on: April 10, 2017, 08:12:29 PM »

The millionaire?

or is it the scrimper

Offline peter w

« Reply #1582 on: April 10, 2017, 08:31:48 PM »

The millionaire?

or is it the scrimper

I'm going to go for Geoff Hurst in the 1966 World Cup final.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #1583 on: April 10, 2017, 08:40:29 PM »

The millionaire?

or is it the scrimper

What's have Southend United fans got to do with this?

Offline exigo

« Reply #1584 on: April 10, 2017, 08:58:11 PM »

For shits and giggles, I worked out how far I'll have travelled after going to my final three games this year. Fifteen games in total, 3386 miles. And I'd still maintain that anyone who went to a home game in February is a far better fan than me.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1585 on: April 10, 2017, 09:03:33 PM »
I thought scrimper's were hairdressers.  I don't think any amount of money can enable you to go to all the games with ease.  Brighton away being a typical case in point.  Thanks to Southern Rail we got back to my son's house in South London six hours after the final whistle and my house another twelve hours later.  The only reason I mention it is that second half at Brighton is the best 45 minutes I have seen us play all season and I was able to judge poorer performances against it.  I will let you know when I retire so I can be a proper stereotype.

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #1586 on: April 10, 2017, 09:14:17 PM »
To many people, I am the only Villa fan they know. Therefore, in my sphere of influence, the bar is set quite low and I'm the bestest fan in the world!

I'm in the Bruce-in camp. Winning is a habit, and whether the tactics are right, or not, it is more important to instill  a winning mentality right now.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1587 on: April 10, 2017, 09:32:53 PM »
The point is, to me at least, neither is better than the other. Both go to as many games as they can manage.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1588 on: April 10, 2017, 09:38:30 PM »
The central tenet it appears to me of any successful football club is a strong defence and keeper and a shape when you don't have the ball which in turn leads to solidity and not letting goals in. The difficult bit is the creativity in front of that to score plenty of goals and have more control further up the pitch.

We all know Bruce can do the first bit, the two good runs we've had this season have been based on it, as others have said though where he's struggled historically is the second and there have been plenty of performances this season to show that. I think people are right to be sceptical but I'd balance that he has never had the size of opportunity he has here so maybe he can overcome it. He proved with the Brighton away performance, arguably our best of the season, what can be done, I unfortunately think he hasn't got consistent enough players to deliver that level of performance week in and week out.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1589 on: April 10, 2017, 09:47:23 PM »
The point is, to me at least, neither is better than the other. Both go to as many games as they can manage.

Nah, it's the millionaire. definitely. has he got a trophy wife and a sports car?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal