collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2124873 times)

Offline Rudy65

Re: Bruce is out of this world
« Reply #1515 on: April 08, 2017, 10:50:34 PM »
Expect more of the same next season, poor football, Effective defence and scrappy wins.
Hope it will be enough.

We will finish next season about 8th if we carry on as we are. At the game today. Depressing

is that because our recent form suggests we'll finish 8th?

Its over 46 games, not 8.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1516 on: April 08, 2017, 10:53:18 PM »
Expect more of the same next season, poor football, Effective defence and scrappy wins.
Hope it will be enough.

We will finish next season about 8th if we carry on as we are. At the game today. Depressing

What do you mean when you say 'carry on as we are'?

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #1517 on: April 08, 2017, 10:55:07 PM »
Hope it will be enough.

Awful quality

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #1518 on: April 08, 2017, 10:58:50 PM »
Hope it will be enough.

The quality of our play,  or more pertinently,,  the lack of it

Online Clampy

« Reply #1519 on: April 08, 2017, 11:01:13 PM »
As for the style of play, i don't think it's that terrible. There's been games when we haven't played well but I don't think the style has been poor at all. I don't think we go a goal in front and intentionally sit back for example, we just don't take the other chances to kill games off but that was our problem under RDM as well.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1520 on: April 08, 2017, 11:15:01 PM »
As for the style of play, i don't think it's that terrible. There's been games when we haven't played well but I don't think the style has been poor at all. I don't think we go a goal in front and intentionally sit back for example, we just don't take the other chances to kill games off but that was our problem under RDM as well.

I don't think we have a style of play, really, it seems to be made up on the spot.

You have to be aware of what you are getting with Bruce. You'll get decent results (and I think he will get us up next season) but you are not going to be excited whilst getting them - there is nothing in his managerial career thus far to suggest that's not true.

I'll take the shit football to get us out of this division, then we'll see what happens.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1521 on: April 08, 2017, 11:25:47 PM »
Can any one explain why the way SB sets the team up means that the football is so awful ?

We defend as a team but expect the unexpected from our striker(s) to deliver magic every game.

Other than that, from what I've noticed again today, our wide men love to play the ball back rather than attack down the wing or attack the box, our central midfield are not getting involved in attacks, we rely on Kodja to be the only scorer, we probably have more players out than any other team suffering with strained necks, so often is the ball up in the skies..oh and 40 games on we still don't look like we have a clue or plan in terms of attack and we still struggle to put two passes together.

Bruce has got us working hard as a team but he's desperate for somebody to help him plan out a team. Assuming we're stuck with him for next season he's urgently got to understand his own weaknesses. It's all well and good every post match admitting we need to improve but nothing ever seems to change. I really thought Calderwell would help but we seem to be going around in circles. I was obviously wrong and it's no wonder our players look knackered. All they do is chase.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1522 on: April 08, 2017, 11:30:00 PM »
Suggesting the ball is oh so high in the sky for most of our games is nonsense really.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1523 on: April 08, 2017, 11:45:46 PM »
Today is spent more time up there than on the floor.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1524 on: April 08, 2017, 11:46:14 PM »
One thing that frustrates me is Bruce says what we all see, that we need to pass and retain the ball better etc, but he's been saying it for months now and it never actually seems to improve.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1525 on: April 08, 2017, 11:54:38 PM »
Today is spent more time up there than on the floor.

Just today then.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1526 on: April 09, 2017, 12:54:43 AM »
Can any one explain why the way SB sets the team up means that the football is so awful ?
Well that's Bruce. He gets results but it's ugly.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1527 on: April 09, 2017, 12:55:44 AM »
One thing that frustrates me is Bruce says what we all see, that we need to pass and retain the ball better etc, but he's been saying it for months now and it never actually seems to improve.

I agree, he gets a loty of credit from people for coming out and saying things like that but if anything we're getting worse in that regard and he's the one person who can actually plan training sessions to do something about it.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1528 on: April 09, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »

I agree, he gets a loty of credit from people for coming out and saying things like that but if anything we're getting worse in that regard and he's the one person who can actually plan training sessions to do something about it.

One of the worst teams I've seen in recent years at VP (other than us) was his Hull team in 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28917064

This was SB's comments after the game:

Hull manager Steve Bruce: "The performance in the first half was the worst I can remember in the time I've been at the club. For the travelling supporters who witnessed it, you have to apologise.
"There was no energy, no spirit. We never laid a glove on them.
"In the second half, we changed it round, and we were excellent. But we gave ourselves a mountain to climb after the first half."

Sounds very familiar to many of our away games this season.

The only way it can be solved is on the training pitch but I imagine Bruce is old school e.g. start at 10, bit of running, shape and pattern of play and then off the pitch by 12 and out of training ground by 1pm and then cross your fingers it all clicks on a matchday. That is compared to the regular double sessions managers like Guardiola, Wagner and Pochettino do anyway.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #1529 on: April 09, 2017, 12:24:05 PM »

One of the worst teams I've seen in recent years at VP (other than us) was his Hull team in 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28917064

This was SB's comments after the game:

Hull manager Steve Bruce: "The performance in the first half was the worst I can remember in the time I've been at the club. For the travelling supporters who witnessed it, you have to apologise.
"There was no energy, no spirit. We never laid a glove on them.
"In the second half, we changed it round, and we were excellent. But we gave ourselves a mountain to climb after the first half."

Sounds very familiar to many of our away games this season.

The only way it can be solved is on the training pitch but I imagine Bruce is old school e.g. start at 10, bit of running, shape and pattern of play and then off the pitch by 12 and out of training ground by 1pm and then cross your fingers it all clicks on a matchday. That is compared to the regular double sessions managers like Guardiola, Wagner and Pochettino do anyway.

It does indeed sound familiar - but with the halves switched round.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal