collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113483 times)

Offline robbo1874

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #1410 on: March 14, 2017, 10:17:56 AM »
I'd be surprised if Newcastle don't kick on to mid table next season.  Good manager, decent squad, decent funding.  They'll be ok I think.

They were ''schooled'' by Fulham, a team that plays more progressive football at the weekend. By all accounts, a lot of Newcastle's style this season has been quite direct and attritional. It will only get you so far in the Premier.

They've been doing what they need to do to get out of this division. Benitez has always played somewhat attritional football anyway, and it's generally been successful, relative to the clubs where he's managed.
or win you the European cup. I suppose it depends on your aspirations as a club.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1411 on: March 14, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
Did you watch the Huddersfield game John? As if you did you'd see the reason they were saying it was the worst they'd played, because they lumped the ball from the back as if there were four under pressure Baker's on. That was down to us pressing them.

We played well, it was a very tight game. On balance whe were the better side.

If you didn't see then I'm not sure how you can comment.

fair point there is only so much you can see on that periscope link
I've always said that the view of someone that actually went to a game is worth more than someone that didn't

however I feel our minds are made up on Bruce, you want to stick with him and I want him gone
I suppose at some time in the future one of us will get our wish

So john, given we've got 12 from 15 and only conceded 1 goal, have you seen any positives yet?

Will you consider changing your mind?

If the 80% points return was to continue to the end of the season, I think nearly everyone would agree he should continue.

However, five matches is a short period of time and over which you would not consider changing your mind.  Otherwise you might be considered to be fickle.

The results over the last five matches (in all honesty, probably the first 3) has taken the pressure off making a decision on the manager.  This means this can be judged over a longer period of time, which is far better.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1412 on: March 14, 2017, 03:01:08 PM »
So, reverse logic should apply. Lose 5 on the bounce and people shouldn't be calling for his head? But if that run were to have continued, then yes, everyone probably would call for his head!

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1413 on: March 14, 2017, 09:17:40 PM »
So, reverse logic should apply. Lose 5 on the bounce and people shouldn't be calling for his head? But if that run were to have continued, then yes, everyone probably would call for his head!

I never called for his head because we were losing a load of games, that bit just made it easier for me to have a go
I never wanted him to be our manager, I've never liked the way his teams play its incredibly boring and limited,
this seasons already wrecked anyway, we are still nearer the relegation spots than play off places I don't think thats much to be shouting about to be honest,

I've never been less excited about Villa games as I am at the moment, if your happy with the way things are going that's fine (honestly not having a go there) but I'm still totally underwhelmed with Bruce it won't change just because we grind out a few wins in a few dead rubbers that he's reduced us to

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1414 on: March 14, 2017, 09:51:58 PM »

People calling for him to go was based on more than 5 games, so your analogy is not the same.

However, you missed the point.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1415 on: March 14, 2017, 09:54:50 PM »
And most of the debate wasn't so much "sack him now" as being against the idea of him automatically getting next season regardless of results this one.

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #1416 on: March 14, 2017, 09:59:53 PM »
Bruce in!

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #1417 on: March 14, 2017, 10:03:32 PM »
Bruce in!
Still undecided, disillusioned, Kendal.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #1418 on: March 14, 2017, 10:32:51 PM »

I never called for his head because we were losing a load of games, that bit just made it easier for me to have a go
I never wanted him to be our manager, I've never liked the way his teams play its incredibly boring and limited,
this seasons already wrecked anyway, we are still nearer the relegation spots than play off places I don't think thats much to be shouting about to be honest,

I've never been less excited about Villa games as I am at the moment, if your happy with the way things are going that's fine (honestly not having a go there) but I'm still totally underwhelmed with Bruce it won't change just because we grind out a few wins in a few dead rubbers that he's reduced us to
100% this. 20 years ago maybe but not now

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1419 on: March 15, 2017, 06:52:29 AM »
What happened 20 years ago?

Presumably Rafa Benitez is a dinosaur too, as I doubt there is a team in the league who are quite as good as sucking the life out of a game, using that game management once a goal up to grind it out and do you on the break.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #1420 on: March 15, 2017, 08:01:28 AM »
What happened 20 years ago?

Presumably Rafa Benitez is a dinosaur too, as I doubt there is a team in the league who are quite as good as sucking the life out of a game, using that game management once a goal up to grind it out and do you on the break.
Sorry. It was late and I didn't have my specs on. Actually meant 30 years ago!!

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1421 on: March 18, 2017, 11:01:03 PM »
I still believe in you Steve..magnificent response.

Online TonyD

« Reply #1422 on: March 18, 2017, 11:29:55 PM »
Just watched a couple of YouTube clips of good Villa goals from a few seasons ago. The most obvious is when we attached we did it at pace.   SB make us quicker. End of sermon.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #1423 on: March 19, 2017, 02:26:33 AM »
I will be fickle. I am back to supporting him. Win streaks like that count for a lot just as losing ones do.

Fair play Steve. Please try and get us playing a bit more attractive football next season though. Cheers.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1424 on: March 19, 2017, 05:23:40 AM »
I agree - never mind the quality, feel the width. I don't care how we win - as long as we win.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal