collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113572 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #1380 on: March 12, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »
from now to the end of the season I think we will win a few and lose a few
then we will have to see where we are and decide whether we 'go again' with Bruce

there are those like me who have already decided against and also others who have decided to go again no matter what, and then maybe the sensible ones who are waiting and seeing before they judge

but none of us will make that decision,
 only Xia and the board do that and as Bruce is the boards pick as long as he has an average to good finish results wise as no one seems to bothered about performances I think he will get the go ahead

not my choice but as Tony Soprano would say 'whadya gonna do '

Top 10 and 60 + points enough for you John?

We should manage that now, 4 points from Wigan and Burton away, 4 points from the Norwich-QPR home games and 4 points from SHA and Blackburn at the end and that's 60 points right there.

I'm not dressing it up as some amazing achievement but let's remember after Newcastle away plenty of posters didn't think we'd reach 50 points.

We'll probably finish above 10 points or so off the play off places, I reckon we'll get about 64 points and 6th is usually mid 70s. We lost it in August-September and that awful period start from Cardiff.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1381 on: March 12, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »
Thats the thing, you can afford a 5/6 game winless run in this division during a season and still make the play offs but you can't afford to have two of them. Personally, we were always a long shot from the end of September.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1382 on: March 12, 2017, 11:06:26 AM »
Right.

Offline ez

« Reply #1383 on: March 12, 2017, 11:16:32 AM »
I like his honesty especially during the bad runs when he acknowledged poor performances and apologised for them.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1384 on: March 12, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »
Thats the thing, you can afford a 5/6 game winless run in this division during a season and still make the play offs but you can't afford to have two of them. Personally, we were always a long shot from the end of September.

If you join the two up I think it comes to 1 win in 19 games so pretty much half a league season we barely won a game.

Of course teams have bad runs during a season and we will have one next season but surely we won't be as terrible for weeks on end as this season.

If you look at Newcastle this season every 4th or 5th game they have a poor result and then win their next 3 games.

That's the sort of thing we need to do next season if we're to be in the promotion mix.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1385 on: March 12, 2017, 11:59:35 AM »
I hope your point about Newcastle proves correct.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #1386 on: March 12, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »

29th Dec - 20th Feb - 10 consecutive matches without a win (2 draws 8 losses) - I take your can't afford a 5/6 game winless streak theory and double it ;-)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:11:50 PM by Diablo »

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #1387 on: March 12, 2017, 03:39:28 PM »

29th Dec - 20th Feb - 10 consecutive matches without a win (2 draws 8 losses) - I take your can't afford a 5/6 game winless streak theory and double it ;-)

Add that to the start and it's W1 D9 L 11 - 12 points from 21 games. Almost as bad as last season.

Against that for the remaining games - W11 D3 L2- 36 points from 16 games.

Season of extremes which is hindsight might be expected given the club has been trying to get onto a stable footing.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1388 on: March 12, 2017, 08:28:21 PM »
The thing is, the only clubs we can really compare Villa to in this league are Leeds and Newcastle.  Even in these cases, Villa in terms longevity and recent history in the big league, and crucially size of fanbase / home city is a much bigger club.  Against these criteria, Villa should be competing with most European clubs, but we're stuck in the championship.  That is why Xia bought the club when he did, at etc price he got due to circumstance. 

Half the battle with managing this club appears to be making the club and fans comfy with our true size and capability, without ballooning fan expectation to a point where it becomes problematic.  Like him or not MON was the last to do this.  Bruce completely understands the size of the club and also knows how to get out of this league.  I'm still scratching my head as to who is better placed than him to manage us. 

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1389 on: March 12, 2017, 08:39:48 PM »
The thing is, the only clubs we can really compare Villa to in this league are Leeds and Newcastle.  Even in these cases, Villa in terms longevity and recent history in the big league, and crucially size of fanbase / home city is a much bigger club.  Against these criteria, Villa should be competing with most European clubs, but we're stuck in the championship.  That is why Xia bought the club when he did, at etc price he got due to circumstance. 

Half the battle with managing this club appears to be making the club and fans comfy with our true size and capability, without ballooning fan expectation to a point where it becomes problematic.  Like him or not MON was the last to do this.  Bruce completely understands the size of the club and also knows how to get out of this league.  I'm still scratching my head as to who is better placed than him to manage us. 

I agree with all of that. However, I think that MON, and certainly Bruce (given where we are), are also guilty of not really getting it. It's not enough to just acknowledge how 'big' we are. The real test for them, if they really get it, is to send teams out who play like a club like ours ought to. I can live with a smash and grab at Old Trafford or Anfield. Less so at home against Derby County (also a fine club etc etc) in the second division.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1390 on: March 12, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »
I hope your point about Newcastle proves correct.

As much as I'd love them to fcuk up automatic and be in the play offs....much better for us if they went up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1391 on: March 12, 2017, 08:50:05 PM »
They play the rags soon is what I think Ads meant.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1392 on: March 13, 2017, 07:13:25 AM »
PWS has it. I'd rather Newcastle go up now.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1393 on: March 13, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »
That and no relegation for Leicester, much as I hate them.  We want three blancmanges coming down.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1394 on: March 13, 2017, 07:50:54 AM »
It'll be Boro, Hull and Sunderland coming down, mark my words. Three of the worst away trips too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal