collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2115137 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #1365 on: March 11, 2017, 11:34:44 PM »
It's quite something that -prior to today- we had only beaten two of the other sides going for the play-offs.

And at the time we played Reading and Fulham, you wouldn't have fancied them to be in the shake -up.

It's great to get any sort of win; they have been scarce over the past five years. Particularly at Villa Park.

But if you're only capable of beating the scrag ends at the arse end of the Championship (and labouring to do that) it does indicate you aren't much cop.

We benefitted today from playing 10 men for a large chunk of the game. It's good to catch that sort of break for a change.

But we still look a long way short of being the sort of side to win the 25+ games it'll take to get out of this division next year.

Do I think Bruce can do it? Hand on heart, no. Based on what has been served up during his time with us (I'm aware of his record elsewhere, but most managers have at least one blemish on their record. We could be his).

I'm just grateful that we have been able to park the managerial musical chairs game until the summer at least. Didn't have any sort of enthusiasm to go through all that again in Feb/ March.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:36:57 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1366 on: March 11, 2017, 11:41:01 PM »
We beat them comfortably today and would have done so whether they had 11 or 10 men.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1367 on: March 11, 2017, 11:57:28 PM »
Today was much better from what I've seen, if he can get us playing like that, home and away, then we'll be right in the mix for automatic promotion next year.  If only he hadn't decided to fuck about with 5 at the back and kodjia on the left wing ...

That's a problem that comes with changing the manager regularly. Each time a new manager comes in, they've got to spend time working out what works so promotion at the first attempt was always a tough act. We've probably got a lot of what we need for next season and can make minimal but significant changes to the squad in the summer.

I think you're missing the point. There are some posters who know of a manager who would have us playing like Barcelona, or better still,Southampton in a couple of months. They haven't mentioned who he/she is but desperately clinging on to this chancer Bruce just because he has an almost peerless record for promotion in this league is lunacy in their eyes.

Great result today, finally a result against one of the better teams in the league to give us Anti-Bruce lot something to cheer us up and at the same time it means the Pro-Bruce brigade get to belt out rib splitting antedotes like this, everybodys happy.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #1368 on: March 11, 2017, 11:59:18 PM »
Today was much better from what I've seen, if he can get us playing like that, home and away, then we'll be right in the mix for automatic promotion next year.  If only he hadn't decided to fuck about with 5 at the back and kodjia on the left wing ...

That's a problem that comes with changing the manager regularly. Each time a new manager comes in, they've got to spend time working out what works so promotion at the first attempt was always a tough act. We've probably got a lot of what we need for next season and can make minimal but significant changes to the squad in the summer.

I think you're missing the point. There are some posters who know of a manager who would have us playing like Barcelona, or better still,Southampton in a couple of months. They haven't mentioned who he/she is but desperately clinging on to this chancer Bruce just because he has an almost peerless record for promotion in this league is lunacy in their eyes.

Great result today, finally a result against one of the better teams in the league to give us Anti-Bruce lot something to cheer us up and at the same time it means the Pro-Bruce brigade get to belt out rib splitting antedotes like this, everybodys happy.

Are you? Are you?

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1369 on: March 12, 2017, 12:06:29 AM »
I was for sacking him before this turn around. Happy that he seems to have sorted it out, but can't help thinking that if he hadn't messed around with the formation that we would have made the play offs. Good performance today, and also against Huddersfield.

Think he might finally have found his feet.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1370 on: March 12, 2017, 07:34:54 AM »
Too early to tell but the pressure is off him for now so lets see how he sets us up for the run home.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1371 on: March 12, 2017, 08:02:52 AM »
Stick with him, bring in a couple more players to supplement the current squad and let him have a say on the loaned out players. Needs at least a full season.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1372 on: March 12, 2017, 08:03:55 AM »
As I posted in the post-match thread, we've got the best points form in the league from the last 5 matches. Obviously we're too late to hit the playoffs, but it is a renaissance of sorts, I think most would agree.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1373 on: March 12, 2017, 08:10:29 AM »

Why contrive factions? There are Villa fans with varying degrees of optimism or concern, as was ever thus.

Offline damien

« Reply #1374 on: March 12, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »
My thoughts. Bruce In.

Close this thread, maybe open it again in October. Villa are doing great at the moment. Last season's horrors are becoming a distant memory.

UTV. 1874.1982

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #1375 on: March 12, 2017, 09:51:47 AM »
Perhaps a change of title is in order - just to Steve Bruce.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1376 on: March 12, 2017, 09:53:58 AM »
from now to the end of the season I think we will win a few and lose a few
then we will have to see where we are and decide whether we 'go again' with Bruce

there are those like me who have already decided against and also others who have decided to go again no matter what, and then maybe the sensible ones who are waiting and seeing before they judge

but none of us will make that decision,
 only Xia and the board do that and as Bruce is the boards pick as long as he has an average to good finish results wise as no one seems to bothered about performances I think he will get the go ahead

not my choice but as Tony Soprano would say 'whadya gonna do '

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1377 on: March 12, 2017, 10:06:20 AM »

There's another thread with that title already with over 3,000 posts on it which people are welcome to use if they'd prefer.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #1378 on: March 12, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »

There's another thread with that title already with over 3,000 posts on it which people are welcome to use if they'd prefer.

Fair enough

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1379 on: March 12, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
There's obviously room for improvement and we should be a lot higher than we are but I'm still in the pro Bruce camp. I'm not always overly impressed with some of his substitutions (I'd have left Adomah on yesterday to catch them on the break at 2-0) but I think he's the right man for us at the moment.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal