collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113626 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #1320 on: March 11, 2017, 07:13:43 AM »
Seems to have abated the slide? We have been as shite under Bruce as we have under the previous managers, probably more so as were at a lower level, It must be the fact that he's a likeable chap because he's getting a lot of leeway that the others didn't get.

I don't think him being a likeable chap plays too much of a part in it (even tbough he is). Some people are sick of the constant chopping and changing of managers and want us to stick with something a bit longer term to see if that changes our fortunes. It's a reasonable stance to have.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1321 on: March 11, 2017, 07:30:47 AM »
We tried the sticking with the manager thing with Lambert, that played a big part in were we are now.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #1322 on: March 11, 2017, 07:35:58 AM »
Three years is a bit different to five months.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1323 on: March 11, 2017, 07:40:50 AM »
The time frame is irrelevant, a large majority of us were also saying that Lambert should have gone after the Christmas debacle, that was 4 months, the Bradford debacle was 6 months...

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1324 on: March 11, 2017, 07:44:33 AM »
Lambert February to August and that absolutely cheating that went on at Stamford Bridge was value for money. That and Sherwood's stint after he was sacked was the last time we looked remotely credible.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1325 on: March 11, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
We tried the sticking with the manager thing with Lambert, that played a big part in were we are now.

As did the constant chopping and changing before and since then. Of itself that is not an argument.

The board are clearly intending to give him some time, I think they believe they have the right man and have backed him accordingly. After ditching RDM they could easily have taken a 'wait and see' approach with Bruce but instead they have taken the option to spend heavily again in January and appear to have done so with an eye on being better prepared going into next season. Having a summer where we do not have to go through another major rebuilding exercise should have us living up to our motto for a change.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1326 on: March 11, 2017, 08:04:33 AM »
Seems to have abated the slide? We have been as shite under Bruce as we have under the previous managers, probably more so as were at a lower level, It must be the fact that he's a likeable chap because he's getting a lot of leeway that the others didn't get.
He is a very likeable man, however that's not why he's getting a chance. It's because he has had a very good success rate in this division with other clubs.
In my eyes he needs to be judged now he has stated to build a team close to what he wants. His signings in January actually look like very good business. I want him to carry on with rebuilding process. We've had too many managers who have come in and had to work with a squad haphazardly put together. I like how Bruce is shaping this squad so far.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:07:26 AM by Ian J »

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #1327 on: March 11, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »
After 3 wins against mediocre teams Bruce failed the first decent test once again. He needs to win tomorrow to show any real progress.

Agree with that. Win today and get results from our remaining games for a 9th or 10th placed finish and we have something to work with. If we finish around 14th or 15th then i'll be worried

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #1328 on: March 11, 2017, 09:18:05 AM »
We could take another tact and sack Bruce either now or at the end of season. Spend millions paying him and his team off and putting K Mac in temporary charge while we scour the globe for the right manager. It should be easy for a club of our magnitude to attract the top names and not at all Chancers who see our track record and realise their lucrative 3yr deal is likely to last 2 seasons tops. But who do we go for? How about a manager on the way up like Lambert? What about a studious continental type who'll revolutionise our playing style like Remi Garde?

Either way, I don't care if they need millions in funds to bring in their own players, or the time and patience required to form a team. I'm going to give them six games maximum and if I don't see an 180 degree change in fortunes then fuck them.

Ridiculous.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1329 on: March 11, 2017, 09:21:05 AM »
I cannot speak for anybody else but I realised when we signed our old ridicule target Mr Potatohead that I was suffering from manager criticism fatigue.  I have got fed up with my own moaning about the very real plight our club had brought upon itself.  Bruce would not have been on my short list of half a dozen but he was appointed so we just have to make a fist of the future.

I suppose what I am saying is that I want to remain a Villa fan.  All other considerations are of less importance.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1330 on: March 11, 2017, 09:36:16 AM »
I'm for sticking with the current manager, because our problems are way, way bigger than who's sitting in the manager's chair. But I'd keep a very close eye on the Wenger situation at Arsenal. It's most unlikely that he'd come, but if you're going to throw money at problems, it would be well aimed in his direction: a manager who commands respect and is capable of changing the attitude and ethos of a club. God knows ours needs changing.

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #1331 on: March 11, 2017, 09:52:02 AM »
I'm for sticking with the current manager, because our problems are way, way bigger than who's sitting in the manager's chair. But I'd keep a very close eye on the Wenger situation at Arsenal. It's most unlikely that he'd come, but if you're going to throw money at problems, it would be well aimed in his direction: a manager who commands respect and is capable of changing the attitude and ethos of a club. God knows ours needs changing.

Nice idea, but he'll either go to a UCL team or the middle-east.  Can't see Brentford away in the rain on a Tuesday night tempting him, to be honest.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1332 on: March 11, 2017, 10:15:59 AM »
so because we sacked a load of failing managers in the past we now have to keep one on

I'm all for giving a manager time I just wish we didn't wait for the worst manager appointment of the lot before we decided to back one of them

the reason we are where we are is not because we've changed manager to many times (which ones would you have kept) it's because we keep choosing ones who cant do to the job, keeping the wrong man in charge just means we get the wrong man for a longer time
which I fear is what's going to happen with Bruce

Offline Allan C

« Reply #1333 on: March 11, 2017, 10:27:12 AM »

Nice idea, but he'll either go to a UCL team or the middle-east.  Can't see Brentford away in the rain on a Tuesday night tempting him, to be honest.
That's part of the problem I think  instead of trying to attract a manager of Wengers stature, we go for a Bruce or Rowett or "Big Sam". IMO that's where we should be aiming now rather than in two years time when Bruce's football will be found out in Premier League. That's why we keep changing managers and will continue to do so until the right one is in place

Offline manic-road

« Reply #1334 on: March 11, 2017, 10:58:21 AM »
so because we sacked a load of failing managers in the past we now have to keep one on

I'm all for giving a manager time I just wish we didn't wait for the worst manager appointment of the lot before we decided to back one of them

the reason we are where we are is not because we've changed manager to many times (which ones would you have kept) it's because we keep choosing ones who cant do to the job, keeping the wrong man in charge just means we get the wrong man for a longer time
which I fear is what's going to happen with Bruce

The worst manager of the lot!! what an over reaction.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal