collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114244 times)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #1275 on: March 10, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »
I've voted for him to stay we can't keep sacking managers it will take time but I think he will get us where we want to be he knows what he's doing he just needs the players to step up I think when it clicks we will be alright.

Offline Boz

« Reply #1276 on: March 10, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »
Everything hinges on performances between now and the end of the season for Bruce - finish with a flourish and signs of a cohesive pattern of play, and he will stay - finish where we are now, and I think he'll be gone, maybe even of his own volition.

Bruce says on the OS a top ten finish is a must this season, and it is if he's to survive as manager IMO. If he remains, he will hopefully get us promotion next season, but with his style of rather dull uninspiring football, most of the time, it isn't looking as if VP will see much of the beautiful game anytime soon.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1277 on: March 10, 2017, 11:44:46 AM »

I'm panicking, because I just don't think we are 'getting there'

........ when its producing zero positive results this season

We'd won three games in a row without conceding prior to Tuesday's night's unlucky result (and yes, due to 30 seconds of complacency we conceded a goal).

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1278 on: March 10, 2017, 11:57:04 AM »

We'd won three games in a row without conceding prior to Tuesday's night's unlucky result (and yes, due to 30 seconds of complacency we conceded a goal).

I know it's amazing after all this success and just being a bit unlucky here and there we are still  15th in a league full of dross

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1279 on: March 10, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »

I know it's amazing after all this success and just being a bit unlucky here and there we are still  15th in a league full of dross

Is there much point in making the point when you're so entrenched in your view that you're unwilling to concede that there's be a positive result this season off the back of our longest winning run in 7 years?

Offline Drummond

« Reply #1280 on: March 10, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »

Good grief, so tell me what does constitute 'positive results' then? If three consecutive wins and clean sheets doesn't, I'd like to know what does?

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #1281 on: March 10, 2017, 01:07:55 PM »
At some point you hoped that we would stop getting worse and plateau, we were falling like a jumbo jet with multiple engine failure.

Steve Bruce has managed to arrest the fall and is now making us hard to beat. He's brought in some quality players, from what I've seen of Lansbury and Hourihane these are the guys that are taking us forward. He's almost finished operation get rid of dead wood, now the next phase begins building the team that is not only going to win us the championship but will hold its own in the Premier League the following season. Objective for remainder of the season, identify our best XI, get a few wins and work on our goalscoring.

Please can we exercise some patience which I know is not in our DNA and move on from suggesting Bruce should be sacked.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1282 on: March 10, 2017, 01:09:31 PM »
Everything hinges on performances between now and the end of the season for Bruce - finish with a flourish and signs of a cohesive pattern of play, and he will stay - finish where we are now, and I think he'll be gone, maybe even of his own volition.

Bruce says on the OS a top ten finish is a must this season, and it is if he's to survive as manager IMO. If he remains, he will hopefully get us promotion next season, but with his style of rather dull uninspiring football, most of the time, it isn't looking as if VP will see much of the beautiful game anytime soon.

So he's set himself the same target as I have for him, that's good to know because it shows that he's realised that he needs to see an upturn in form between now the end of the season.  Hopefully that means that there is some pressure from the board on the final league placing.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #1283 on: March 10, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »
Yep I think next season is our most important season in a long while and will probably shape Xia's reign.

I agree, but I hope that doesn't lead to a sense of panic.  I do think we are getting there and that just a few wise signings in key positions will make a big difference. 

for me we are moving further away from any cohesive plan for promotion, just buying some decent championship players and 'keeping it tight' in the hope we can nick a goal does'nt count as a proper tactical plan
it might have got Bruce some promotions in the past but its a massive risk to think this simple archaic plan will work for us next season when its producing zero positive results this season

this season has been an absolute disaster from start to finish,
 the last game we played the Huddersfield forum to a man said it was the worst game of football they have seen this season, and they won !
 yet on our post match thread we are talking positive about our performance, this is denial in a massive way,
 we are in the worst place we have been for as long as I've supported Villa and that's a long time, we are not getting anywhere in my opinion, I just don't see it, I wish I had the faith to see what some of you others do but as much as I look I cant see how there are any reasons to be cheerful

the Bruce plan is in full swing now, we have got rid or benched any creative talent we had (Ayew, Grealish) theres really no point Bruce playing them anyway as he hasn't the first clue as to what to do with them
and we have filled the midfield with warrior types to become a fully fledged Bruce outfit, we are eye bleedingly dull to watch and we still lose more than we win, with very little hope that anything will change in the near future

'don't panic'  sorry I'm in full panic mode about the Villa at the moment, I just dont get how so many are happy with what they see and think it all bodes well for next season

the bar is the lowest its been for decades no need to keep lowering it
My thoughts exactly. Three wins without conceding is an improvement in terms of points on the board. The fact that so many see this as a positive when you look at who we played and the way we played is sad. This is Steve Bruce football to a tee. I can't believe so many of us accept this

Offline Drummond

« Reply #1284 on: March 10, 2017, 01:34:52 PM »
So it's an improvement but it isn't positive?

Offline Allan C

« Reply #1285 on: March 10, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
In terms of points it's an improvement. Is the football any better?? No 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1286 on: March 10, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »
I think both sides have valid points. I was firmly in the "sack him" camp four games ago, but results have taken an upturn, for which he deserves credit. That said, I don't think many of us would've been happy if we'd been told that we would be out of playoff contention by Pancake Day when he was appointed.

If we can continue recent improvements and finish the season strongly, he'll have earned himself some breathing space at least.

If we limp on to the end of the campaign with little indication that a much-improved second season is likely, he could have few complaints if he was dismissed.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #1287 on: March 10, 2017, 01:46:08 PM »
In terms of points it's an improvement. Is the football any better?? No

He said 'it's producing zero positive results this season'. Not 'we're not playing like Barcelona or Brazil'.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1288 on: March 10, 2017, 01:46:59 PM »
Yep I think next season is our most important season in a long while and will probably shape Xia's reign.

I agree, but I hope that doesn't lead to a sense of panic.  I do think we are getting there and that just a few wise signings in key positions will make a big difference. 

the Bruce plan is in full swing now, we have got rid or benched any creative talent we had (Ayew, Grealish) theres really no point Bruce playing them anyway as he hasn't the first clue as to what to do with them
and we have filled the midfield with warrior types to become a fully fledged Bruce outfit, we are eye bleedingly dull to watch and we still lose more than we win, with very little hope that anything will change in the near future

If it was all about creative talent why has he played Green very recently until his injury?
Ayew was playing very poorly and Grealish has not been at his best. I actually really like both players, however I can understand why Ayew was sold and Grealish does not feature in every game.

With a fit Green and Hogan alongside Kodjia and more confidence through the team which is coming (slowly) I reckon we'll have an upturn in goals score and excitement.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #1289 on: March 10, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »

the last game we played the Huddersfield forum to a man said it was the worst game of football they have seen this season, and they won !
 yet on our post match thread we are talking positive about our performance, this is denial in a massive way,

Context is everything for football supporters when they describe a game.

Imagine (if you can) that we are high flying Huddersfield, & we host mid to bottom of the table Villa, who hadn't won a match all year until they started playing the shit teams.

Yet, they come here and out play us, & generally make us look a bit shit and ordinary. Somehow we mange to score the only goal of the game and scrape a lucky win, but guess what?- it probably is the worst game we've seen all year!

That's a Huddersfield fans perspective of a game they expected to win, but struggled to. It doesn't have to be ours! Villa fans who went to the game thought we played well.

Yes it isn't very pretty but this isn't a pretty division. For the last half a dozen games we have won or created enough chances to win. We are improving, slowly, but we are improving. If the direction of travel continues to be that then he should stay, if it doesn't then we have to think again - He has the basis of his team, they are starting to operate more like a team, and I am out of excuses for any further backward direction of travel, so this is it now - let's just see how it goes towards May.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal