collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113050 times)

Offline four fornicholl

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #1260 on: March 09, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »
I see nothing to make me change my mind that promotion will take 3 - 5 years.   We were such a sick club at the end of Lerner's tenure it was inevitable that the healing process would be a lengthy one.  The latest example of how unbelievably badly we were run is the discovery that Fox was paid £2.9 million a year.  I am amazed that we avoided bankruptcy.

Bruce will get us back but it will not be through the sunlit uplands of the Beautiful Game.  It will be via the landfill site, past the abbattoir and twice round the gasworks.
If thats the case, I may well see him out of my living room window.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #1261 on: March 09, 2017, 08:15:57 PM »
I see nothing to make me change my mind that promotion will take 3 - 5 years.   We were such a sick club at the end of Lerner's tenure it was inevitable that the healing process would be a lengthy one.  The latest example of how unbelievably badly we were run is the discovery that Fox was paid £2.9 million a year.  I am amazed that we avoided bankruptcy.

Bruce will get us back but it will not be through the sunlit uplands of the Beautiful Game.  It will be via the landfill site, past the abbattoir and twice round the gasworks.

The big worry for me brian is that if we dont go up next season we are financially fucked

The losses we posted this season were with 65 million sky money, in season 3 it is 13 million

And wages at 85% of turnover is lunacy

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:01:02 PM by oswald funkletrumpet »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1262 on: March 09, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
Yep I think next season is our most important season in a long while and will probably shape Xia's reign.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1263 on: March 09, 2017, 10:56:34 PM »
Yep I think next season is our most important season in a long while and will probably shape Xia's reign.

I agree, but I hope that doesn't lead to a sense of panic.  I do think we are getting there and that just a few wise signings in key positions will make a big difference. 

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1264 on: March 10, 2017, 12:13:53 AM »

I agree, but I hope that doesn't lead to a sense of panic.  I do think we are getting there and that just a few wise signings in key positions will make a big difference. 

If we don't go up next year the parachute payments get drastically cut. Logical also suggests Dr Tony won't keep on pumping 50m + a season for us just to be mid table in the championship, it's just not logical.

Eventually we have to show improvement with what we're signing...I think bar a keeper and CH we have got a squad to challenge next season, it's the mentality that massively needs to improve.

If we miss out next year then that's at least 4 season before we play premier league football under Dr Tony Xia so we'd need to hit the ground running for his bold prediction of CL football within the next 5-10 years to come true.

Big season coming up, it's time the team started to deliver on the grass. We've waited long enough.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1265 on: March 10, 2017, 12:28:45 AM »
...... just a few wise signings in key positions will make a big difference.

It was ever thus.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1266 on: March 10, 2017, 05:01:52 AM »
Bruce needs to get us going into games thinking 'we must win' rather than 'we should win'. There's a gulf of difference between the two.

That in turn will translate into a 'We will win' and when you play a team with that mindset they are very difficult to stop.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #1267 on: March 10, 2017, 05:22:38 AM »
Bruce needs to get us going into games thinking 'we must win' rather than 'we should win'. There's a gulf of difference between the two.
That in turn will translate into a 'We will win' and when you play a team with that mindset they are very difficult to stop.
Well he played for years in a team with that mindset, he is now charged with passing this mantra to his own team.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1268 on: March 10, 2017, 07:50:55 AM »
I too am worried about the tapering off of money the longer the battle goes on but there comes a point where there is an up side to financial stringency.  If you are short of money you can't throw £2.9 million a year at a self regarding pillock like Fox or a four year contract at Gabby or a contract extension at Lambert or pay off a manager you have brought in from Lyon and never given a penny of support to or spent £12 million on an overweight bar fly who dodges training behind jammed gates.  Leicester winning the league after using the bankruptcy laws to avoid paying their creditors is a case in point.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1269 on: March 10, 2017, 08:52:20 AM »

I see no reason why we shouldn't expect to be challenging next season.  We have one of the best squads in the league and despite a huge injury list there are signs of things coming together.  We were probably the better side against Huddersfield who are third and had been on a very good form. 

It's never easy in this league but I'm very hopeful we will begin to hit our straps towards the end of this season and carry some decent momentum into next year.  It's never easy in this league, but I'm pretty confident we will be top six if not top two next season.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1270 on: March 10, 2017, 09:01:47 AM »

I'm panicking, because I just don't think we are 'getting there'

for me we are moving further away from any cohesive plan for promotion, just buying some decent championship players and 'keeping it tight' in the hope we can nick a goal does'nt count as a proper tactical plan
it might have got Bruce some promotions in the past but its a massive risk to think this simple archaic plan will work for us next season when its producing zero positive results this season

this season has been an absolute disaster from start to finish,
 the last game we played the Huddersfield forum to a man said it was the worst game of football they have seen this season, and they won !
 yet on our post match thread we are talking positive about our performance, this is denial in a massive way,
 we are in the worst place we have been for as long as I've supported Villa and that's a long time, we are not getting anywhere in my opinion, I just don't see it, I wish I had the faith to see what some of you others do but as much as I look I cant see how there are any reasons to be cheerful

the Bruce plan is in full swing now, we have got rid or benched any creative talent we had (Ayew, Grealish) theres really no point Bruce playing them anyway as he hasn't the first clue as to what to do with them
and we have filled the midfield with warrior types to become a fully fledged Bruce outfit, we are eye bleedingly dull to watch and we still lose more than we win, with very little hope that anything will change in the near future

'don't panic'  sorry I'm in full panic mode about the Villa at the moment, I just dont get how so many are happy with what they see and think it all bodes well for next season

the bar is the lowest its been for decades no need to keep lowering it

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:05:15 AM by john e »

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #1271 on: March 10, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »
Well he played for years in a team with that mindset, he is now charged with passing this mantra to his own team.

In those days I rarely ever saw a Man Utd team that hadn't fully earned its arrogance. They believed they would win because they were 100 percent thorough in their pursuit of success. That's the mindset we need.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1272 on: March 10, 2017, 09:09:17 AM »
Everything hinges on performances between now and the end of the season for Bruce - finish with a flourish and signs of a cohesive pattern of play, and he will stay - finish where we are now, and I think he'll be gone, maybe even of his own volition.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1273 on: March 10, 2017, 09:34:54 AM »
I agree, I'm a swing voter on Bruce at the minute - he's got the end of the season to win me over, or not.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1274 on: March 10, 2017, 10:02:20 AM »
...... just a few wise signings in key positions will make a big difference.

It was ever thus.

Haha - always and for ever in my time watching Villa - this

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal