collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113110 times)

Offline ldavfc4eva

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #1080 on: March 05, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »
Someone else obviously

Quite,

My point was that if Bruce did get sacked then who would come in to replace him? There aren't too many out there I would fancy at the moment instead of him, if any at all.

It's fine to say yes Bruce out, but then what is the next step?

I certainly wouldn't want KMAC in caretaker charge again, that is if he is still here after his bullying rumour?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #1081 on: March 05, 2017, 12:40:07 PM »
Jedinak, Lansbury and Hourahane are definately the 3 for centre mid. For next season I'd have Bjanason and ideally Veretout but failing that Tshibola as back up for Hourahane and Lansbury but we need a proper stand in for Jedinak, and will have to buy one.
The front 3 are looking like Green, Kodjia and Adomah, they are quick, a handful for defenders and fit into those roles the best. Unfortunately Hogan is probably going to struggle to play if we play that way which really begs the question of why Bruce signed him and not a proper wide player if he knew that was his likely formation. As it stands he'd be back up with Grealish and Bacuna, but we could still do with signing a more natural quick wide player to compete.
Defense just needs a good centre back to compete with the first choice pair with Elphick as 4th choice. Maybe that will be Samba, if not we need to sign one.
And we need to spend the big money on a goalkeeper, as this was the other baffling January deal and it needs sorting out once and for all in the summer.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1082 on: March 05, 2017, 12:49:06 PM »
we'rer going to need to strengthen up front , I think, especially if RHM continues to be so injury prone  - along with Hogan. Gabby has got yo move on somehow and Kovak is (a) finished
 and (b) out of contract anyway.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1083 on: March 05, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »
Jedinak, Lansbury and Hourahane are definately the 3 for centre mid. For next season I'd have Bjanason and ideally Veretout but failing that Tshibola as back up for Hourahane and Lansbury but we need a proper stand in for Jedinak, and will have to buy one.
The front 3 are looking like Green, Kodjia and Adomah, they are quick, a handful for defenders and fit into those roles the best. Unfortunately Hogan is probably going to struggle to play if we play that way which really begs the question of why Bruce signed him and not a proper wide player if he knew that was his likely formation. As it stands he'd be back up with Grealish and Bacuna, but we could still do with signing a more natural quick wide player to compete.
Defense just needs a good centre back to compete with the first choice pair with Elphick as 4th choice. Maybe that will be Samba, if not we need to sign one.
And we need to spend the big money on a goalkeeper, as this was the other baffling January deal and it needs sorting out once and for all in the summer.
Hogan is a match winner if we play the ball into the channels, and Houri and Ange can do that.
GK is the most important acquisition to make.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1084 on: March 05, 2017, 05:02:34 PM »
I'm struggling to see how Hogan would fit into a 433. He looks like he needs a partner or to play in a team that doesn't play off the striker. His hold up play hasn't looked good at all but he's looked a threat  with his running

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1085 on: March 05, 2017, 07:54:44 PM »
He midfielders joining the attack and having Jedinak back has made us much more solid through the middle.

Having Jedinak back has made a difference and also Baker.

And Hogan getting injured so that he can't play the shit formation that he seemed so keen to waste everybody's time with before.
3 wins in a row is fantastic however I am not sure if Bruce has discovered any magic formula or impact of Jedinak. Footballing wise we have still been dire against the 3 team. 2 of them are absolutely atrocious and Derby were on a very poor run. Let's see how the next 2 pan out.

Not a magic formula but a back to basics. I have thought since fairly early in the season that the teams that prosper in this league are the ones that make fewest mistakes and we had got into a bad habit of conceding soft goals by our own errors rather than anything special the opposition were doing. Dropping Baker for a game appears to have given him a kick up the arse and he and Chester have re-established the partnership that helped deliver the results we saw when Bruce first arrived.

If the League table was down to teams that make fewest mistakes we'd be sitting in in 6th place (based on goals against). If however we look at goals scored the table would have us sitting in 21st position, one place above the drop zone. See where our problem is?

No idea why you think Baker needed a kick up the arse, he was doing fine before Bruce decided to try and shoe horn Elphick into the team because I assume he was working hard in training. It completely messed up the central defence, pushing Chester over to the left to accommodate Elphick on the right, then the fool decides to play all three and we all know how that turned out. Kick up the arse? I know exactly who needs a kick up the arse and it isn't Baker.

Hopefully, due to injuries the side almost picks itself so that should help Bruce focus on getting the team to function for more than 30 - 45 minutes at best. It's often the case that a manager stumbles across a winning formula and that remains my hope with Bruce between now and the end of the season. He's got them working hard again, now he needs to get them playing.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1086 on: March 05, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »
I'm sure the performances will improve with confidence.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1087 on: March 05, 2017, 11:11:34 PM »

Agree with a lot of this.  Goalkeeper will be the number one priority to sort in the summer.  We definitely need a new number one and if he I'd over his injury, I think Steer would do as back up.  I think we also need a striker who can play as a focal point, as I'm not sure Hogan can. 

I expect a few to be going, so there shouldn't be a big net spend. 

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1088 on: March 06, 2017, 12:15:08 AM »
I'm struggling to see how Hogan would fit into a 433. He looks like he needs a partner or to play in a team that doesn't play off the striker. His hold up play hasn't looked good at all but he's looked a threat  with his running

Yep Kodjia has got things together since he got injured.

I'd just use him as an impact sub and then spend pre season working him and Kodjia as a pair.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1089 on: March 06, 2017, 12:31:59 AM »
would agree  that our spine is weak in that we need an experienced keeper who not only is a good shot  saver, able to take balls in the air  etc but also one that can bark his defence.  If Hull go  down then Marshall is my man.  No more inexperience please.

As  for central  strikers then hopefully Hogan will come back stronger, leaner and willing to work his butt  off, but we need a partner for him  Haven't got a name at hand but there has to be an option out there. 

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1090 on: March 06, 2017, 01:43:17 AM »
He midfielders joining the attack and having Jedinak back has made us much more solid through the middle.

Having Jedinak back has made a difference and also Baker.

And Hogan getting injured so that he can't play the shit formation that he seemed so keen to waste everybody's time with before.
3 wins in a row is fantastic however I am not sure if Bruce has discovered any magic formula or impact of Jedinak. Footballing wise we have still been dire against the 3 team. 2 of them are absolutely atrocious and Derby were on a very poor run. Let's see how the next 2 pan out.

Not a magic formula but a back to basics. I have thought since fairly early in the season that the teams that prosper in this league are the ones that make fewest mistakes and we had got into a bad habit of conceding soft goals by our own errors rather than anything special the opposition were doing. Dropping Baker for a game appears to have given him a kick up the arse and he and Chester have re-established the partnership that helped deliver the results we saw when Bruce first arrived.

If the League table was down to teams that make fewest mistakes we'd be sitting in in 6th place (based on goals against). If however we look at goals scored the table would have us sitting in 21st position, one place above the drop zone. See where our problem is?

No idea why you think Baker needed a kick up the arse, he was doing fine before Bruce decided to try and shoe horn Elphick into the team because I assume he was working hard in training. It completely messed up the central defence, pushing Chester over to the left to accommodate Elphick on the right, then the fool decides to play all three and we all know how that turned out. Kick up the arse? I know exactly who needs a kick up the arse and it isn't Baker.

Hopefully, due to injuries the side almost picks itself so that should help Bruce focus on getting the team to function for more than 30 - 45 minutes at best. It's often the case that a manager stumbles across a winning formula and that remains my hope with Bruce between now and the end of the season. He's got them working hard again, now he needs to get them playing.

This is what what most astute analysts would call damning with faint praise while covering your bases in case things continue to improve.

That is not to say you don't make some good points along the way.

Here is thing, though. You are a fully paid up member of the tippy tappy tendency and were laying into the Derry MoN even at the height of our most effective direktfutbol. I remember Ian B, now departed to TBAR writing along the lines of, why are you whingeing, I love to see Ash driving down the wing.

Since my brothers deserted me after MoN's departure, I have not had a season ticket, and wander the ground lost like the Dong With The Luminous Nose. We used to be Upper Trinity Central, but my preference since then has been P6 in the Upper Witton Lane, despite the disgraceful bar and toilet facilities where any enterprising vexatious litigant with a few functional brain cells could sue the club into oblivion if they put their minds to it.

Nonetheless, I have been all around the ground based on the deals provided by Viagogo/Seatwave and I will tell you this quite clearly. The masses do not want tippy tappy or any of its variants. They don't want careful build ups from the back. They like to hear metal bashing metal and the sound of foundries forging steel.

Bruce understands this as did Graham Taylor and Ron Saunders before him.  It might not be pretty, but most of us do not give a fuck. We want to see an industrial machine in motion, an exquisite feat of engineering, grinding our opponents into metal shards.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1091 on: March 06, 2017, 03:39:09 AM »
Ha! It's a good read but you've got me all wrong. I don't want tippy tappy but I do want to to be able to string more than two passes together. I love to see a solid defence, a midfield that get in their faces rather than backing off, shadowing and pointing aimlessly. Above all I want to see and I don't think I'm alone, players running with the ball. Quick interchanges are heavenly but not essential, what is more important is the fight for the right to win and the desire to attack.

What I find mind-numbingly dull is hoofing it up our striker who's surrounded by defenders, knowing the ball is coming back immediately. Players that still don't know how to take a throw-in, players that hide for a throw-in. Players that continuously week after week get caught out of position, players that appear shit scared to take a step forward with the ball, wingers that stick to the by-line when the ball is on the opposite side of the pitch, midfielders that disappear when our centre halves look to make a pass, midfielders that are terrified of entering the opposition's penalty box and to add to this a manager and his coaches that post match say all the right things but nothing ever changes.

If you look at some of the goals we've scored this season, a very decent percentage have come from attacking with intent. That shouldn't be confused with counter attacking. It has it's place in our game plan but it shouldn't be the only plan. I think you give a disservice to Graham Taylor and most definitely Ron Saunders. Steve Bruce? The jury is still out and I'll let you know at the end of the season.

I'm all for a bit of industrial engineering, the Germans do it well. Given the choice between a wooden club with nails sticking out and a high performance diamond cutter, I know which I'd rather see and trust get the job done.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1092 on: March 06, 2017, 04:03:00 AM »

Yep Kodjia has got things together since he got injured.

I'd just use him as an impact sub and then spend pre season working him and Kodjia as a pair.

Now we have seemingly found a formation that is somewhat working, I'm not sure how we go about fitting two strikers in again.  In terms of impact subs, we can always go to a midfield two and bring Grealish on in a free role if necessary.  From what I have seen so far, Hogan looks completely the wrong type of forward we need.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1093 on: March 06, 2017, 04:03:34 AM »
There's a new fangled thing that some clubs do, I think they call it 'movement off the ball'. I'm hoping we try it one day.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1094 on: March 06, 2017, 04:05:59 AM »
would agree  that our spine is weak in that we need an experienced keeper who not only is a good shot  saver, able to take balls in the air  etc but also one that can bark his defence.  If Hull go  down then Marshall is my man.  No more inexperience please.

If Sheff Weds don't go up then their keeper Westwood would be a decent shout in the summer.  Hull have got a couple of keepers that might interest Bruce as well (Marshall and McGregor).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal