collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:14:02 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by dave.woodhall
[April 17, 2024, 11:28:11 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

GUESS THE GOAL R25: Europa Conf.🏆 Lille v VILLA Thursday 18th April! 🥅 by Fasth56
[April 17, 2024, 11:01:53 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:42:07 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Axl Rose
[Today at 12:20:05 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:14:02 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by usav
[Today at 12:05:07 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:04:43 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:02:57 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2124440 times)

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #1065 on: March 04, 2017, 07:27:28 PM »
Improving. Be interesting to see how we get on next couple of games against better opposition now we have a formation and a bit of confidence.

He has finally found a formation that is somewhat coherent and is getting results.  Hopefully we can really build on these results over the next few weeks and finish the season strongly.  Bit of fine tuning in the summer rather than another rebuild and we'll hopefully be in good shape.

Yeah it only really works with Jedi in it though. Lets hope he stays fit now.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1066 on: March 04, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »
He midfielders joining the attack and having Jedinak back has made us much more solid through the middle.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1067 on: March 04, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »
The Jedi, Houri and Ange combination works well. Keeping them fit and ensuring cover for next season is now a priority.
I'd hope that Tshibola would come back into contention next season but who else? I don't see Bjarni as a serious midfield challenger and GG seems limited.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1068 on: March 04, 2017, 07:58:52 PM »
Improving. Be interesting to see how we get on next couple of games against better opposition now we have a formation and a bit of confidence.

He has finally found a formation that is somewhat coherent and is getting results.  Hopefully we can really build on these results over the next few weeks and finish the season strongly.  Bit of fine tuning in the summer rather than another rebuild and we'll hopefully be in good shape.

This is what's frustrating we're now playing the shape and style that we were when he first came in.  He tried to fuck  about with it to shoe horn 2 strikers into the team, went on a truly horrific run of performances and then eventually gave it up went back to what we are setup for and started getting results again.  It's that stubborn determination to get 2 up front working that pissed me off so much.  I hope he doesn't try again when Hogan and Gabby are back.

If he can learn from what's happened in the last week and focus on making the most of what he has then hopefully we can get a bit of a run going and go into the summer with confidence.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1069 on: March 04, 2017, 08:01:52 PM »
The Jedi, Houri and Ange combination works well. Keeping them fit and ensuring cover for next season is now a priority.
I'd hope that Tshibola would come back into contention next season but who else? I don't see Bjarni as a serious midfield challenger and GG seems limited.

I agree that the current midfield three has some potential.  I hope Bjarnason can improve and be an option in an attacking role, and that Tshibola can also come back into the reckoning.  We need to find another option for the defensive midfield role when Jedinak is not there though.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1070 on: March 04, 2017, 08:58:12 PM »

I agree that the current midfield three has some potential.  I hope Bjarnason can improve and be an option in an attacking role, and that Tshibola can also come back into the reckoning.  We need to find another option for the defensive midfield role when Jedinak is not there though.

The last bit is why I whope he starts looking at some of the youngsters.  I think Lyden could save us some money as the backup for Jedi.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1071 on: March 04, 2017, 09:03:51 PM »
He midfielders joining the attack and having Jedinak back has made us much more solid through the middle.

Having Jedinak back has made a difference and also Baker.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1072 on: March 04, 2017, 09:38:01 PM »

And Hogan getting injured so that he can't play the shit formation that he seemed so keen to waste everybody's time with before.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1073 on: March 04, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »
We weren't playing 352 at Newcastle.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1074 on: March 05, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »
Would use Hogan as a sub when he gets back.

Kodjia prefers being up top on his own doing his thing.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1075 on: March 05, 2017, 11:09:20 AM »

And Hogan getting injured so that he can't play the shit formation that he seemed so keen to waste everybody's time with before.
3 wins in a row is fantastic however I am not sure if Bruce has discovered any magic formula or impact of Jedinak. Footballing wise we have still been dire against the 3 team. 2 of them are absolutely atrocious and Derby were on a very poor run. Let's see how the next 2 pan out.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1076 on: March 05, 2017, 11:18:52 AM »

3 wins in a row is fantastic however I am not sure if Bruce has discovered any magic formula or impact of Jedinak. Footballing wise we have still been dire against the 3 team. 2 of them are absolutely atrocious and Derby were on a very poor run. Let's see how the next 2 pan out.

Not a magic formula but a back to basics. I have thought since fairly early in the season that the teams that prosper in this league are the ones that make fewest mistakes and we had got into a bad habit of conceding soft goals by our own errors rather than anything special the opposition were doing. Dropping Baker for a game appears to have given him a kick up the arse and he and Chester have re-established the partnership that helped deliver the results we saw when Bruce first arrived.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1077 on: March 05, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »

Exactly.

Three matches ago lots of people were genuinely talking about sacking Bruce.  After two games against teams now in the bottom 3 and a home game against a horribly out of form Derby in which we had 29% possession and everyone's suddenly talking about how great we are.

What happens if/when we lose the next two?  Back to crisis?

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1078 on: March 05, 2017, 11:23:31 AM »

Not a magic formula but a back to basics. I have thought since fairly early in the season that the teams that prosper in this league are the ones that make fewest mistakes and we had got into a bad habit of conceding soft goals by our own errors rather than anything special the opposition were doing. Dropping Baker for a game appears to have given him a kick up the arse and he and Chester have re-established the partnership that helped deliver the results we saw when Bruce first arrived.

Completely agree Chris, first half at the moment seems to be shut up shop, let them make the game and try and punish mistakes. Accelerate the work rate at the start of the second half, let Hourihane off the leash more and the goals will come as the other team tire. Then shut up shop for the last 10-15 minutes.

Having Jedinak means this can work.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1079 on: March 05, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »

Completely agree Chris, first half at the moment seems to be shut up shop, let them make the game and try and punish mistakes. Accelerate the work rate at the start of the second half, let Hourihane off the leash more and the goals will come as the other team tire. Then shut up shop for the last 10-15 minutes.

Having Jedinak means this can work.

This has been Bruce's strategy since day one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal