collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114461 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #1035 on: March 03, 2017, 10:53:18 AM »
I think Boozey has it mostly right.  We need to finish the season on at least 60 points, that's 6 wins in 12 games.

There then needs to be clear signs that the players are responding to something he's doing in training and we're becoming a team that can challenge at the top end of the table next season.

If he can achieve both of those things then he can get the pre-season to make a few more adjustments and we review again after 10 games, at which point he'll have had a full season.  By that point there needs to be consistently solid performances and consistently good results or we'll be running the risk of missing out on promotion again and that cannot be allowed to happen.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1036 on: March 03, 2017, 11:03:44 AM »
If we finish the season on 60 + points then surely that's proof enough the players are beginning to gel. There were plenty of posters on here before the Derby game thinking we wouldn't even make 50 points.

He needs more time. He needs a pre season and let's see what he can do from the middle of August as opposed to the middle of October and bottom 3 which is what he inherited.

It's very tough to make the play offs from that position....Derby had a go but they're likely at the minute to finish well short aswell, we might finish above them now.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1037 on: March 03, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
I think Boozey has it mostly right.  We need to finish the season on at least 60 points, that's 6 wins in 12 games.

There then needs to be clear signs that the players are responding to something he's doing in training and we're becoming a team that can challenge at the top end of the table next season.

If he can achieve both of those things then he can get the pre-season to make a few more adjustments and we review again after 10 games, at which point he'll have had a full season.  By that point there needs to be consistently solid performances and consistently good results or we'll be running the risk of missing out on promotion again and that cannot be allowed to happen.
I think that's fair enough.  Not necessarily specific targets - if we get to 55 but achieve everything else you mention that would be enough for me.  But absolutely, we need a decent rest of the season.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1038 on: March 03, 2017, 12:32:23 PM »
Mr Wynes has said he's staying even if we get relegated
so points, performance, league position are all of a complete irrelevance to him

he's just like Trump. he can say and do whatever he wants and people around him still think he's great

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #1039 on: March 03, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »
so points, performance, league position are all of a complete irrelevance to him

he's just like Trump. he can say and do whatever he wants and people around him still think he's great

That's not really true.  Of course you give him a vote of confidence for morale, but you really think we won't sack him if we only win one or two more games this season?

Offline john e

« Reply #1040 on: March 03, 2017, 12:36:52 PM »

That's not really true.  Of course you give him a vote of confidence for morale, but you really think we won't sack him if we only win one or two more games this season?

that's what the man said

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1041 on: March 03, 2017, 12:54:30 PM »

I suppose the reasoning is that, if they think he's good enough to get us out of the Championship, he's good enough to get us back up from Div. 1, so why change.

There are quite a few reasons I would be against that but I'm not in that position.  File under 'not rocking the boat at this stage'.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #1042 on: March 03, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »

that's what the man said
Don't you think managers have ever been sacked after a vote of confidence before?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1043 on: March 03, 2017, 01:00:44 PM »

that's what the man said

Take it away, Macca.

Offline john e

« Reply #1044 on: March 03, 2017, 02:45:40 PM »

that's what the man said
Don't you think managers have ever been sacked after a vote of confidence before?

yes, I can see what your saying,
But don't you think it's a bit more than a vote of confidence

a VOC is 'he's going nowhere we are 100% behind the manager'
this is more than that, it's even if he gets us relegated his job is safe
I don't think that's very wise

I agree with you on the face of it a VOC doesn't mean much but it's a bit unusual for it to be so implicit with the detail
Makes you wonder

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1045 on: March 03, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »
Ellis said BFR was one of top 3 managers in the country and sacked him a few days later iirc.

I don't think there is any chance Bruce would have been here next season if we were relegated to Division 3 regardless of what was said.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #1046 on: March 03, 2017, 02:53:54 PM »
I interpreted KW's comment purely as a rather canny message to the players not to take the piss just because the manager is under pressure, to stop us entering the usual doom loop. Do his words actually guarantee anything for Bruce? Of course not.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #1047 on: March 03, 2017, 09:45:42 PM »
If he were to be sacked then who replaces him?

He needs to be given until the end of the season, and this will happen regardless of results, but if he does an abysmal job from now until the end of the season who do we get to replace him?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1048 on: March 04, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
Someone else obviously

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #1049 on: March 04, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »
It's slow and it's not pretty but I like to think the good ship Aston Villa is FINALLY turning towards better times.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal