collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113949 times)

Offline peter w

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #900 on: February 26, 2017, 08:36:52 PM »
The main difference for next season is that I's expect to see Bruce sign 2 centre-halves and a keeper. Forget about the rest of the team and the failings for another time but you never get anywhere with a porous defence, which is what we have. Elphick is terrible and that leaves us with Baker and Chester. Chester looks decent enough for this level but forget about when Baker's out, if we were to lose Chester for the rest of the season having Elphick and Baker alone would see us in all likelihood doing well to get the points needed to stay up. Add an experienced keeper into the mix and we have something to build from.

Sacking Bruce now will make little difference. The back line is still the back line and all but Chester is pretty much to blame for our position. Yes, you can look at our frailties up front, but if you concede the goals that we have been conceding then you are putting yourself under so much pressure. He gets that wrong next season, and it is still the same then he will go. But has the summer to put it right.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #901 on: February 26, 2017, 08:44:25 PM »
Watched the Derby match yesterday morning. Talk about scraping a win. I suppose it's what we needed to do and I'm glad we got it, but what a dreadful game of football. It seemed to last for about three hours! I've voted to keep Bruce, as he needs time. Even if the results start to improve and we get that stability back, there is so much work still to be done though. In fairness, he knows it and he's acknowledged it.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #902 on: February 26, 2017, 08:57:23 PM »
The main difference for next season is that I's expect to see Bruce sign 2 centre-halves and a keeper. Forget about the rest of the team and the failings for another time but you never get anywhere with a porous defence, which is what we have. Elphick is terrible and that leaves us with Baker and Chester. Chester looks decent enough for this level but forget about when Baker's out, if we were to lose Chester for the rest of the season having Elphick and Baker alone would see us in all likelihood doing well to get the points needed to stay up. Add an experienced keeper into the mix and we have something to build from.

Sacking Bruce now will make little difference. The back line is still the back line and all but Chester is pretty much to blame for our position. Yes, you can look at our frailties up front, but if you concede the goals that we have been conceding then you are putting yourself under so much pressure. He gets that wrong next season, and it is still the same then he will go. But has the summer to put it right.

38 goals conceded isn't great. Understandable when we have had three different goalkeepers, five different right backs and three different left backs. Only consistency really has been at centre back where neither partnership has really impressed.

However, 31 goals scored is truly appalling. That's where the problem is. All options in midfield and up front  bar Kodjia, pre ACN, have flopped.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #903 on: February 26, 2017, 09:50:33 PM »

I don't think this is right. Only 6 teams have conceded fewer than us this year. We're not amazing but the stats would say not bad (for this level) at the back.

However we're terrible going forward. Only one club in the championship has scored less.  That's still the problem to fix.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #904 on: February 26, 2017, 09:57:22 PM »
I think focusing on the defence is easy given how poor we've been in the last 2 months but it's the wrong approach, we need to score more goals, I doubt many teams have been promoted (automatically) in the last 20-25 years whilst averaging much less that 1.5 goals a game.  We're probably 20-25 goals short of what we'd want to have at this stage to be in the mix for the top 2.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #905 on: February 26, 2017, 10:18:38 PM »
I think focusing on the defence is easy given how poor we've been in the last 2 months but it's the wrong approach, we need to score more goals, I doubt many teams have been promoted (automatically) in the last 20-25 years whilst averaging much less that 1.5 goals a game.  We're probably 20-25 goals short of what we'd want to have at this stage to be in the mix for the top 2.

I agree to be a dominant side we need to focus on scoring goals. If we're averaging 2-3 goals a game we'll be a really strong side.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #906 on: February 27, 2017, 12:08:33 AM »
Past managers have said the same. It's hardly exclusive with Bruce.

Past managers have been shit as well.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #907 on: February 27, 2017, 12:18:43 AM »
How can you really say "it is no good continually switching managers", though?

Surely it depends who you are switching from, and to whom (and I say that as one who wouldn't sack Bruce)?

Really? So one presumes when RDM, RG, TS, PL, and so forth were appointed, someone thought they were the right for - but they weren't. None of them. So who is the right fit??

I suspect those like me who advocate sticking are doing so because we fear the next 4 will be as bad as the last 4 and by then, we will. R calling for the head of another manger as we near relegation to League 2.

Sacking a manager is easy and it often makes supporters happy - till they find themselves singing from the same hymn sheet a few months later.

Stability in the game today is completely under-rated

Stability for the sake of stability is completely over rated.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #908 on: February 27, 2017, 12:26:07 AM »

I agree to be a dominant side we need to focus on scoring goals. If we're averaging 2-3 goals a game we'll be a really strong side.

Which is why  struggle with the idea of Bruce beyond the summer.

I can see him going for an experienced keeper in the summer and most likely at least one other centre half. 

That'll help, but it won't rectify our issues elsewhere.

He had three gun forwards who have all scored a shitload in the Championship and only got something approximating a tune out of Kodjia -who largely does his own thing anyway.

A fourth- Hogan- was his choice, but didn't look much of an upgrade truth be told pre injury.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #909 on: February 27, 2017, 07:13:53 AM »
How can you really say "it is no good continually switching managers", though?

Surely it depends who you are switching from, and to whom (and I say that as one who wouldn't sack Bruce)?

Really? So one presumes when RDM, RG, TS, PL, and so forth were appointed, someone thought they were the right for - but they weren't. None of them. So who is the right fit??

I suspect those like me who advocate sticking are doing so because we fear the next 4 will be as bad as the last 4 and by then, we will. R calling for the head of another manger as we near relegation to League 2.

Sacking a manager is easy and it often makes supporters happy - till they find themselves singing from the same hymn sheet a few months later.

Stability in the game today is completely under-rated

Stability for the sake of stability is completely over rated.

Sacking managers every 3 months is not good either.

Online paul_e

« Reply #910 on: February 27, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »
Indeed it isn't.  The solution is to find a manager who is worth backing and stick with him. Some on here believe Bruce to be just that and it appears the board agree if the comments that Wyness has said he's safe even if we go down are true (if they are then it's a fucking pathetic thing to say at this point in the season).  Some of us, me as one of the more vocal members, just don't believe he is good enough to put blind faith behind with nothing to back it up.  His career wide win rate is about 37% that's not terrible but it's not the amazing success that some people seem to have projected onto him (for context Paul Lambert, even with his shocking runs without a win for us, has a win rate of 39% and Alex McLeish has a win rate of 46.3% but that is skewed by his time with Rangers).

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #911 on: February 27, 2017, 08:06:53 AM »
I think focusing on the defence is easy given how poor we've been in the last 2 months but it's the wrong approach, we need to score more goals, I doubt many teams have been promoted (automatically) in the last 20-25 years whilst averaging much less that 1.5 goals a game.  We're probably 20-25 goals sho
rt of what we'd want to have at this stage to be in the mix for the top 2.
A leaky defense in this league will mean a relegation bound defence after promotion. Clean sheets give stability and confidence to try something new upfront; chopping and changing both ends of the team at the same time normally leads to disaster, IMO.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #912 on: February 27, 2017, 08:11:57 AM »
I don't think wanting to stick with a manager who has got a good track record of getting teams promoted is blind faith.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #913 on: February 27, 2017, 08:28:28 AM »
I'm not sure I've read anybody who has blind faith in him.

Online paul_e

« Reply #914 on: February 27, 2017, 08:34:38 AM »
I think focusing on the defence is easy given how poor we've been in the last 2 months but it's the wrong approach, we need to score more goals, I doubt many teams have been promoted (automatically) in the last 20-25 years whilst averaging much less that 1.5 goals a game.  We're probably 20-25 goals sho
rt of what we'd want to have at this stage to be in the mix for the top 2.
A leaky defense in this league will mean a relegation bound defence after promotion. Clean sheets give stability and confidence to try something new upfront; chopping and changing both ends of the team at the same time normally leads to disaster, IMO.

but we don't have a particularly leaky defence, we've had some poor performances but overall our defensive record is good enough for the top 6.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal