collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113574 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #855 on: February 26, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »
I reckon all you Bruce out lot look really, really silly tonight.

Yes, that one win in eleven has sure shown me.

We better get his contact extended before Barcelona pounce.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #856 on: February 26, 2017, 02:46:18 PM »
if that win had come for TSM2 under Lerner, he'd have trousered  a decade long contract extension

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #857 on: February 26, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »

I am neither pro or anti Bruce.  Yet to be convinced he is the long term future:

1. Apart from Brighton no really good performances under his guidance. 

2. He  seems to have  been affected by the wind  of  discontent and the recent poor run of results.

3. His tactics or lack of them appear to influence the performances.

On the other hand I might be wrong but we owe him some time and an opportunity  to show us what he is made of.

The problems faced are a  lot deeper than  Steve  Bruce.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #858 on: February 26, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
There was an interview with Owen Farrell just in the build up to the test.  One of the questions was about where his confidence comes from and he said it comes from your preperation, it comes from knowing that you've done everything you can to be ready.  This is the heart of my problem with Bruce, he isn't addressing the confidence issues in training he just seems to have waited for a result.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #859 on: February 26, 2017, 03:28:15 PM »

I am neither pro or anti Bruce.  Yet to be convinced he is the long term future:

2. He  seems to have  been affected by the wind  of  discontent and the recent poor run of results.

On the other hand I might be wrong but we owe him some time and an opportunity  to show us what he is made of.

A lot deeper indeed. But changing managers every 20 or so games seems to have worked well, so lets do so again! Nowt as stupid as taking the same steps and expecting a different outcome. 

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #860 on: February 26, 2017, 03:30:50 PM »

A lot deeper indeed. But changing managers every 20 or so games seems to have worked well, so lets do so again! Nowt as stupid as taking the same steps and expecting a different outcome.
You mean like keeping poor ones for to long? I agree.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #861 on: February 26, 2017, 03:34:06 PM »
Leeds and Cardiff change managers every ten minutes and it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm. Modern football requires sackings when managers fail to fulfil expectations. The financial penalties for failure are far greater than in previous decades.

Our problem isn't in sacking managers too often, but in consistently getting crap replacements.

That said, I'm hopeful that we can get at least four points from the next two games and give ourselves a bit of breathing space. It we can do that, I'd be fairly content to give Bruce until the end of the season before reassessing.

If he does well, keep him. If he does less well, we'll have more options in terms of replacements in the Summer than we would now.

If we do manage to fuck up the next two games, and find ourselves still within touching distance of a league trip to Bescot, I'll be urging us to dismiss him again.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #862 on: February 26, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »
So, given all the new players we have, shouldn't we allow the manager time to get them playing together? Do you really expect us to play well as a team with so many new members?
Why wasn't this argument used for RDM but its Bruces's get out of jail card?

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #863 on: February 26, 2017, 03:43:01 PM »
This is the first season since the mad new owner took over at Leeds that they haven't changed managers and would suggest that all the previous changes did do them harm.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #864 on: February 26, 2017, 03:51:46 PM »
So, given all the new players we have, shouldn't we allow the manager time to get them playing together? Do you really expect us to play well as a team with so many new members?
Why wasn't this argument used for RDM but its Bruces's get out of jail card?

Bruce is the worst of a bad bunch but his timing is impeccable

people are so fed up with chop and change that they are prepared to accept utter drivel in the hope of things changing

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #865 on: February 26, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »

20 games too long. Dear oh dear .... enough said

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #866 on: February 26, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »
This is the first season since the mad new owner took over at Leeds that they haven't changed managers and would suggest that all the previous changes did do them harm.

Maybe. But the previous incumbent had a far better record, in terms of points or wins per game, than Bruce has at Villa.

If they'd applied the sort of logic put forward by people who insist that Bruce is given more time, they'd likely be in a far worse position.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #867 on: February 26, 2017, 03:58:18 PM »

20 games too long. Dear oh dear .... enough said

Di Matteo was sacked after twelve.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #868 on: February 26, 2017, 04:15:47 PM »

Or maybe if they'd given Neil Redfearn or Steve Evans more time they'd still be pissing around lower mid-table.

And it was all the chopping and changing until they came across the right fit that means they're doing well.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #869 on: February 26, 2017, 04:20:38 PM »
I was typing on my phone but the context you gave was about the summer, when RDM was the manager not Bruce and yet after 10 games you were posting that RDM needed to be sacked.  So I ask again why didn't he get to use the excuse that you are now using to Bruce?

On this you're contradicting yourself almost as much as you do on the match threads where post Barnesley, Ipswich and Forest we'd created loads of chances and deserved something but when we win it doesn't matter how shit we are.

What I don't understand is why you think Bruce deserves this commitment from you.  Clampy has been very supportive of him as well but he will at least offer criticism where it's warranted without qualification, you can't say anything bad about him without having a excuse ready to go and it's just odd.

I see it as we started the season on the same point as everyone else, actually won a game early and then RDM blew it with all the dropped points from late goals which there and then killed off our top 6 hopes imo.

So SB came in with a massive handicap (we were in the bottom 3) so I've just looked as this season as a free hit.

I do understand the concerns and we must finish the season strongly now. I'd be looking for us to hit 60 points or thereabouts, barely getting 50 won't be good enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal