collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113498 times)

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #810 on: February 25, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »
Well, they got it this week.
Apparently.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #811 on: February 25, 2017, 08:59:55 PM »
He'll get the start of next season I'm sure, probably similar timeframe to RDM.

If we're off the pace by October we make another change.

That's my fear. When will be learn?

Well I'd rather do that then change the manager during the summer and then said new manager has an RDM type start. Would rather have one less managerial change if it comes to it.

You'd prefer not to give any new manager pre-season, giving him time to get his ideas across, bring in one or two that he thinks essential as let's face it, on paper at least we still have one of the strongest squads in the league but instead wait 3 months into the season to try and find a new manager from a very limited and muddy pool, then I assume forgive him as it's not his team and say he'll need at least two windows to get it right?

Just because RDM never turned out the way we wanted it doesn't mean the idea is wrong. It also helps not appointing poor/limited managers and coaches. My guess is unless things dramatically change, Moyes will be here in the summer. As I said, when will we learn?

Online Louzie0

« Reply #812 on: February 25, 2017, 09:04:44 PM »
It's TRAPPIST 3, maybe 4.
Could be 7

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #813 on: February 25, 2017, 09:19:11 PM »
Whoosh !
That got me beat, Louzie0 !

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #814 on: February 25, 2017, 09:51:49 PM »

Well I'd rather do that then change the manager during the summer and then said new manager has an RDM type start. Would rather have one less managerial change if it comes to it.

You'd prefer not to give any new manager pre-season, giving him time to get his ideas across, bring in one or two that he thinks essential as let's face it, on paper at least we still have one of the strongest squads in the league but instead wait 3 months into the season to try and find a new manager from a very limited and muddy pool, then I assume forgive him as it's not his team and say he'll need at least two windows to get it right?

Just because RDM never turned out the way we wanted it doesn't mean the idea is wrong. It also helps not appointing poor/limited managers and coaches. My guess is unless things dramatically change, Moyes will be here in the summer. As I said, when will we learn?

I would prefer to give Steve Bruce pre season, give him money for a keeper and a new CB but no more than that and get him working and drilling them for 6 weeks.

I refuse to believe the results would remain terrible...his past record at this level from the times he has started in August indicate it.

I don't think the football will be anything to write home about but I just want to see a Villa team winning and not losing regularly and near the top of a league, I still believe we can do this in the near future with the present manager.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #815 on: February 25, 2017, 10:18:30 PM »
But I really want SB to get a grip and stop the negative football

This is the bit for me. I never thought I'd see the day a Villa team, at Villa Park, would tactically substitute our only striker and look to play out the game with no attackers. Pathetic Bruce.

Or given the amount of points we've chucked away through late goals, well done Bruce.

Aye. In isolation, and in the context of the match situation, it wasn't an outlandish decision.

Lack of defensive reinforcements cost us dearly against Forest at home earlier in the season and  at various other times.

More concerning is by playing this way, we don't look like we have the creativity or firepower to ever get more than a slender one goal advantage in the first place.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #816 on: February 25, 2017, 10:29:44 PM »

I would prefer to give Steve Bruce pre season, give him money for a keeper and a new CB but no more than that and get him working and drilling them for 6 weeks.

I refuse to believe the results would remain terrible...his past record at this level from the times he has started in August indicate it.

I don't think the football will be anything to write home about but I just want to see a Villa team winning and not losing regularly and near the top of a league, I still believe we can do this in the near future with the present manager.

Bruce has to earn the right to be here next season and raise his game between now and the end of the season. If he can and there are clear signs he's finally getting it right (not starting to get it right), then I'd stick with him. If not then there will be plenty that would love the opportunity to try. As it's the biggest and most important job at the club, we need to have the best person in there. We can't afford to fart about in October looking to see who would be interested on taking over.

I agree about the two new players, another reason why things are so frustrating right now. There's enough talent there we just need to get them playing. Over to you, Steve.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #817 on: February 25, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »
Agree Rudy - fair enough no surprise we are behind Newcastle, Brighton and Sheff Wed and Derby. They went into the season well placed. Lob in Huddersfield as wild card for this year but why after all the money spent are we looking up at That Lot, Brentford, Barnsley and Ipswich.

Online Louzie0

« Reply #818 on: February 25, 2017, 10:57:32 PM »
Whoosh !
That got me beat, Louzie0 !
Actually, Bob, I think I was replying to another thread.  :)
Whoosh indeed!
UTV

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #819 on: February 25, 2017, 11:36:18 PM »
I think we'll have a strong finish...typical Villa thing to do when there's little to play for. Certainly at least 4 points from the next two to virtually confirm safety and we've still got to play plenty of bottom half teams.

60 points and top half would be a decent effort to finish a poor season.

Key for me is improving the away form. Our home form on balance has been pretty decent this season....our away form is abysmal so to win a few more on the road is pretty important I think to take into next year.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #820 on: February 25, 2017, 11:39:59 PM »
MOTM today

Online TonyD

« Reply #821 on: February 26, 2017, 12:13:01 AM »
A win is great today but have just looked at the table and it's difficult to reconcile our position with the players we have. We are so far off the playoffs it's disgraceful and the quality of play is dire.  I think he's a decent guy but I would let go if we had a solid option.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #822 on: February 26, 2017, 05:38:24 AM »
If he can get 4 points out of the next two games, this should give him the opportunity to allow the players to play with a bit of freedom, I do not expect free flowing non stop attacking football, but I do expect to see a style that does not mean resorting to 10 men behind the ball for the last 20 minutes at home, he needs to show me that he can install into the players the ability to close games out without going ultra defensive, play at a pace and get the players moving when they have not got the ball, press the opposition in their half and get the forwards backing in the box. He also needs to get wins away from Villa park. I
Maybe then I would be willing to let him have pre season, can I see it happening no, he has quickly moved into the zone where he knows he will never get to manage a bigger club, in his own words he has waited 20 years for this job, because of that he will remain ugly football Brucey and that will be his downfall come May.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #823 on: February 26, 2017, 06:07:45 AM »
If he can get 4 points out of the next two games, this should give him the opportunity to allow the players to play with a bit of freedom, I do not expect free flowing non stop attacking football, but I do expect to see a style that does not mean resorting to 10 men behind the ball for the last 20 minutes at home, he needs to show me that he can install into the players the ability to close games out without going ultra defensive, play at a pace and get the players moving when they have not got the ball, press the opposition in their half and get the forwards backing in the box. He also needs to get wins away from Villa park. I
Maybe then I would be willing to let him have pre season, can I see it happening no, he has quickly moved into the zone where he knows he will never get to manage a bigger club, in his own words he has waited 20 years for this job, because of that he will remain ugly football Brucey and that will be his downfall come May.

Agreed. 6 points from the next two and we are safe. He then has 10 games without pressure to get the team to gel and start to play like we could be a force next season with a few more additions to the squad. If we continue to struggle or play As we did yesterday or the previous 10 games I would have a new man in May. Since October I have seen nothing to make me think results will improve. There must be another Wagner type manager out there for us who will have a full pre season and get us out the division next season

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #824 on: February 26, 2017, 08:45:42 AM »
But I really want SB to get a grip and stop the negative football

This is the bit for me. I never thought I'd see the day a Villa team, at Villa Park, would tactically substitute our only striker and look to play out the game with no attackers. Pathetic Bruce.
Kodjia was knackered and we had no strikers on the bench ....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal