collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113831 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #765 on: February 22, 2017, 05:13:31 PM »
Of all the managers we have had since O'Neill, Di Matteo is just about the only one who could feel miffed at not getting more time.

More games wasn't going to give Lambert a Eureka moment. He'd tried young and hungry, old and wobbly and in the end just fugly. More games wasn't going to turn Sherwood into some sort of tactical wizard.

In the cold light of day, Di Matteo probably did deserve longer. Points-wise, our start with indifferent>poor, but performance levels were there, for the most part.  Even a competitive loss to Preston might have seen him keep his job. But with the pressure on, playing so poorly up there (and the brainfreeze of going with just one central midfielder second half) did for him.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #766 on: February 22, 2017, 05:48:05 PM »
Of all the managers we have had since O'Neill, Di Matteo is just about the only one who could feel miffed at not getting more time.

More games wasn't going to give Lambert a Eureka moment. He'd tried young and hungry, old and wobbly and in the end just fugly.

Beats ''Prepared'' hands-down!

Yeah, looking back I wonder would we have preferred to play mid-Oct to now with RDM in charge. 15 more draws maybe but at least the football would have been prettier and we wouldn't be going backwards.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #767 on: February 22, 2017, 05:58:09 PM »
My instinct is still to tough it out and give him this season at least. His own ineptitude might force a decision before that, of course.

If we get through to the summer and he has only scraped survival despite having one of the best squads in the league, I'd see no argument to keep him on in that scenario.

But at least then we would have a bigger pool to pick from when it comes to a replacement. Carvalhal at Wednesday is well used to dealing with a basketcase club with big expectations.  He has had Wednesday in the shake-up for the play-offs for the past two seasons after years of shite. Monk is doing well at the mother of all basketcase outfits.  Both have  managed to do this with without resorting to eye-bleeding football as per Rowett or our own spoofer boof baller Bruce.  Wagner looked the most intriguing option back in October and we did show interest apparently.  Not all of them will be able to squeak up via the play-offs this year.  A full pre season with us and a chance to mould a team exactly as they see fit with the resources we offer might still hold some appeal.

Is pretty much what I stuck on Facebook last night.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #768 on: February 23, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »
Out of interest, when was the last time we had a new manager bounce?  Sherwood to an extent I suppose but before that - JG?

Surely the current guy?

Martin O'Neil.  We were unbeaten for the first 12-13 games. 

Remember "We are unbeatable"

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #769 on: February 23, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »

More games wasn't going to give Lambert a Eureka moment. He'd tried young and hungry, old and wobbly and in the end just fugly. More games wasn't going to turn Sherwood into some sort of tactical wizard.

In the cold light of day, Di Matteo probably did deserve longer. Points-wise, our start with indifferent>poor, but performance levels were there, for the most part.  Even a competitive loss to Preston might have seen him keep his job. But with the pressure on, playing so poorly up there (and the brainfreeze of going with just one central midfielder second half) did for him.

It does make you wonder if there was anything else going on other than the results. I thought at the time it was a bit early although anyone who was at Preston would have seen how shambolic it was in that second half.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #770 on: February 23, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »

It does make you wonder if there was anything else going on other than the results. I thought at the time it was a bit early although anyone who was at Preston would have seen how shambolic it was in that second half.

I always got the feeling something wasn't right between RDM and Clarke.

Offline Petris24

• "At one hundred yards. Volley fire, present. Aim.
« Reply #771 on: February 23, 2017, 03:58:31 PM »
We are Belgium, a few good individuals but not a team.

Give Bruce time to build a team.

Since MON no-one has been given the time to build a team except Lambert but he was starved of resources as Lerner was trying to escape from the money pit.

It will take YEARS to repair the damage done since MON left.

Changing manager again will make things worse.

If you want to make things change, back Bruce even if we go down again, give him the power to rebuild root and branch.

He can then start reviewing contracts - include win bonus', appearance fees, anything that will make a dumb 20 year old realise he has to work his arse off to keep his money and his job.

Show your support by taking ladders to the training ground, with a ladder and a taxi fare no-one has to miss training! Let no gate be a barrier to Villa success

Offline VancouverLion

• GM : 24.01.2016
« Reply #772 on: February 23, 2017, 04:07:42 PM »
We have done so many things poorly in the past 2 years (post Lambert era) to reach the state we are in, but for me, prominent amongst them is consistently appointing inexperienced managers and/or changing managers at the wrong time.

1. TS was in charge 23 games, spent an awful lot of money in summer 15, and secured just 29% of points available to him. Almost no experience of management, job was far too big for him, found out after a false FA Cup dawn. Almost none of his signings have proven to be value for money.

2. RG was in charge 21 games and given no new players, and secured 19% of points available to him. Appointed mid-season as the club was in virtual free fall. Given no support in the January transfer window (the last vestige of the Lerner era). Undermined by revolt in the dressing room. Inexperienced in British football.   

3. RDM was in charge just 11 games and secured 30% of points available to him. Inexperienced manager (again), and panic button hit too soon given the club desperately needed stabilizing (again).

The thing with SB is that at last we have a manager who has vast experience (both in British football, the PL, and the Championship, and who played at the highest level for likely the best manager in British football). He has been in charge for 21 games of which 16 of those were pre his spending spree in January - he has secured 42% of points available to him.

For me, its nailed on that our general decline will continue if we keep repeating the managerial merry-go-round. Our position is self inflicted - big club, big money, but put into the hands of inexperienced managers who ought never have even been considered (TS, RDM). And the thing is that every time we change manager (particularly after he has brought in a lot of new players), the confidence of the squad takes another hit. Its almost like we can't help shooting ourselves in the foot. 

Fire Bruce now and I genuinely fear we will be relegated again either this or next season. He has to be given the time to change the culture, mold his style onto a squad recently infused with 6-7 key players, and see if it clicks. If it doesn't, then fire him at the end of the season, and give the new man the summer and a pre-season to exert his influence. We cannot change mid-season yet again...   

spot on imo.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #773 on: February 23, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »
Ranieri is available

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #774 on: February 23, 2017, 08:24:38 PM »
Ha, ha. Beat me to it ! But he did look exhausted the last few times I've seen him on the touchline ( as opposed to collecting some major footy award or other ) Nice pic of Marc Albrighton with him on the net right now. Memories.

Too far gone even for us, I'm afraid !

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #775 on: February 25, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »
Ive read on Facebook that Wyness has said that Bruce will stay as manager even if he takes us down

this can't be true surely, has anyone actually heard him say this as its sounds like bullshit to me

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #776 on: February 25, 2017, 11:39:34 AM »
He said it on WM. Stops any speculation or disquiet, not that there's been much to be honest.

As somebody else said though, Bruce will have the backing until the point he doesn't.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #777 on: February 25, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »
Ive read on Facebook that Wyness has said that Bruce will stay as manager even if he takes us down

this can't be true surely, has anyone actually heard him say this as its sounds like bullshit to me
He did but what else could he say? A bit like the Leicester owner saying Ranieri had their unwavering support until he didn't.

You can't keep consistently losing games and expect to stay in a job
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 11:44:37 AM by VillaAlways »

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #778 on: February 25, 2017, 11:42:56 AM »
Bruce can't be far off a Bolton moment. I really hope today is a turning point and we can push on and lay some good foundations for next season. Been saying that all year though.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #779 on: February 25, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
isn't backing from the CEO always a sign that you're a dead manager walking?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal