collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113414 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #705 on: February 22, 2017, 12:22:35 AM »
I think lose at home to Derby and it will be all over. And it will completely against what the club will want to do but the situation is getting to the point of untenable.

I'm not sure TV.

We have Bristol City on the Tuesday and then Rotherham away on the Saturday.

In the context of where we are in the season now two massive games.

I really couldn't see us ditching Bruce and putting a caretaker in charge for those games (let's not forget that would probably be Calderwood!)

I've said before but Bruce should resign in shame if we don't beat Rotherham....that would finish me off for this season if that happened I think. They have 19 fewer points than we do so that gives you an indication of their ability.

It might stretch to Bristol City but I agree with Ozz he won't be here for Rotherham with 2 more losses. And Gary Rowett might be the obvious choice to come straight in.

Depends if we have a manager ready straight to come in.

Sadly the upcoming games are going to be massive for the wrong reasons so we can't just afford to throw games away while we search for a new manager if that's the decision to be made.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #706 on: February 22, 2017, 05:16:53 AM »
Rowett or Warburton both available to come in immediately with no compo issues. Either on a limited end of season deal with the incentive of a longer contract if they meet certain points criteria. Simple.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #707 on: February 22, 2017, 05:39:29 AM »
Rowett or Warburton and we will be back in the same circle with maybe a small upturn for the new bounce, to me that would also show a lack of ability going forward around Wyness and Round.

Before I am asked , No I do not have a clue as to who would be different so I am unable to come up with an alternative name.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #708 on: February 22, 2017, 05:45:03 AM »
I'm astonished that there is any serious discussion about Bruce leaving. He has the credentials to turn things around and needs the time to do so.

Even if we are relegated, which I do not think will happen, he needs that season to reverse the slide and build.

Absolutely. And if he relegates us again to League 2, he should be given every chance to show that he can get us out of that league, in one direction or another.

Eventually we'll end up low enough that we'll be able to stumble our way back to a promotion.
So you don't rate Bruce. Fair enough. Clearly we are going backwards, and his signings have not made an impact.

I do rate him, and think that another change now only compounds all the things that have been going wrong at the club for so long. Change, no responsibility, no ownership . A new manager can instantly say " not my players".

There comes a point when changing managers is part of the problem, we have reached that point.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #709 on: February 22, 2017, 06:27:50 AM »
I'd love to know based on his time with us what you rate about him other than him being a nice bloke?

Offline russon

« Reply #710 on: February 22, 2017, 07:04:14 AM »
Putting the calamitous errors to one side for a minute I think last night showed the extent of the task quite openly...we were playing ok, getting a decent pressure on the opposition when they had the ball but the moment we wanted to go forward with a bit of pace we looked like strangers who had to pause before identifying an option to pass to.  Hopefully that will improve with time but we are scarily pedestrian with the ball which makes us easy to play against. 

I made much the same point last night as well as saying we are also pedestrian without the ball, too slow to press, and if that isn't the plan, then too slow to get back into position meaning opposing midfielders get beyond us too easily.

I'm sure I read, I cant mind where now, that SB had identified that we lacked players who were able to carry the ball through the midfield to increase attacking numbers. The new players dont appear to have solved that, Lansbury is in shaky form but looks a fine player, but one who sees an early pass and plays it. Houlihane looks more like a Peter Whittingham type, looks decent on set pices and is capable of hitting early crosses but doesn't look quick enough or strong enough to make a difference when we are under the cosh. Benny looks just plain poor, there to make up the numbers.

All managers make poor signings but SB hasn't been helped by none of his signings hitting the ground running and now they seem to be infected by the losing Villa mentality.

That's a massive point, not one signing has delivered anything good yet
Commonly known as a 'Westwood '

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #711 on: February 22, 2017, 07:11:29 AM »
I'm astonished that there is any serious discussion about Bruce leaving. He has the credentials to turn things around and needs the time to do so.

Even if we are relegated, which I do not think will happen, he needs that season to reverse the slide and build.

Absolutely. And if he relegates us again to League 2, he should be given every chance to show that he can get us out of that league, in one direction or another.

Eventually we'll end up low enough that we'll be able to stumble our way back to a promotion.
So you don't rate Bruce. Fair enough. Clearly we are going backwards, and his signings have not made an impact.

It's not that I don't rate Bruce, it's that I don't rate the plan of sticking with him indefinitely regardless of how terribly he performs.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #712 on: February 22, 2017, 07:13:41 AM »
To me this is it, I know Hutton has his detractors but if every player committed themselves as he does then we would see a change but when I watch all I see is players closing down at half pace and when in possession moving forward so slowly that defenders have all day to get in to position. We need a couple of mongrels in the team at the moment we are a team of show dogs.

I understand what you are saying but Hutton does it for himself, not the team.  For all his experience and aggression, how often do you see him talking to other players and trying to organise the defence.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #713 on: February 22, 2017, 07:16:32 AM »
Bruce's track record of getting teams up is the main reason for me why I'm happy to stick with him providing the season doesn't end in total disaster.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #714 on: February 22, 2017, 07:30:09 AM »
To me this is it, I know Hutton has his detractors but if every player committed themselves as he does then we would see a change but when I watch all I see is players closing down at half pace and when in possession moving forward so slowly that defenders have all day to get in to position. We need a couple of mongrels in the team at the moment we are a team of show dogs.

I understand what you are saying but Hutton does it for himself, not the team.  For all his experience and aggression, how often do you see him talking to other players and trying to organise the defence.

Two examples  both Hutton and Taylor made attacking moves into the opposition half then they looked to lay the ball off and there was not one Villa player running past or in position to receive the ball, just not good enough.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #715 on: February 22, 2017, 07:34:05 AM »
Movement and urgency have been an issue for us for years. 

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #716 on: February 22, 2017, 07:40:29 AM »
I can just about stretch to giving Bruce some more time, entirely on the grounds that Bruce is not that much worse than his predecessors. What I do draw the line at is the acceptance of relegation into the third division so that he can continue to lurch from game to game.  He is a football dinosaur brought in to do a job of work, like you might bring in Dynorod to clear your drains.  When you notice that the guy seems to have turned up without his drain rods you start to worry.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #717 on: February 22, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »
3 more crap results and Bruce will have shit it for me, and probably Dr T, and almost possibly this division.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #718 on: February 22, 2017, 07:50:44 AM »
I can just about stretch to giving Bruce some more time, entirely on the grounds that Bruce is not that much worse than his predecessors. What I do draw the line at is the acceptance of relegation into the third division so that he can continue to lurch from game to game.  He is a football dinosaur brought in to do a job of work, like you might bring in Dynorod to clear your drains.  When you notice that the guy seems to have turned up without his drain rods you start to worry.

And instead, he's turned up with a load of wet-wipes and sanitary towels which he's jamming into the blocked drains.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #719 on: February 22, 2017, 08:07:47 AM »

It's not that I don't rate Bruce, it's that I don't rate the plan of sticking with him indefinitely regardless of how terribly he performs.
I accept that at some point, poor results mean the end of a manager.

I do not accept that barely half a season is time for him to show us what he can do here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal