collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2115141 times)

Offline chippy

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #630 on: February 21, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »
If you look at where we were when he came in to where we are now, not much has changed.  He put us on a good run then we've collapsed back to where we were. So on that basis and considering its always difficult to come in mid-season,  I think he should be given 2-3 more games at least.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #631 on: February 21, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »
I worry about us for next season. My impression, and I haven't researched stats to back this up so it may be wrong, is that teams seem to get worse the longer that Bruce remains with them. I worry about his recruitment so I'm not that confident that he will be able to turn it round and get us in the mix for promotion next season.

A glaring hole for me is that he has just gone out and bought to strengthen the midfield but has left us light up front. And amongst the midfielders he has bought, he didn't get anyone as backup for the Jedi when he had already been struggling with fitness and there must be doubts about his ability to play 3 games a week

I wasn't keen on him being appointed our manager in the first place because he is very much more of the same and I thought it was a good opportunity to go for a new approach. But once he was appointed then I thought maybe as a short term fix to get us back up. Now I am doubting that
I thought it was STEVE round and scouting team identifying and recruiting with Keith wyness with lesser involvement from Bruce ?

which brings me back to a point I made on the Steve Round thread when he was appointed. Why do people think he is qualified to be a director of football when up to now, the most important job he has done is been Moyes' assistant

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #632 on: February 21, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
Go for Jaap Stam

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #633 on: February 21, 2017, 11:53:52 AM »
No guarantees about hiring a manager on form. Look at our recent player recruitment. All talented at this level. Until they get involved with us.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #634 on: February 21, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
I didnt expect anything other than a defeat last night so my opinion hasn't  changed.

Bruce needs time to work it through with this squad and another transfer window and pre-season,  I hope he gets it. 

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #635 on: February 21, 2017, 12:03:40 PM »
I'm still holding my nerve in the Bruce stays camp but he is making it so hard to do it...the scenario that we lose the next 2 home games would pretty much make it untenable for me...he desperately needs to find 4 points as a minimum then follow it up with 3pts at Rotherham to release that pressure that is building.

Putting the calamitous errors to one side for a minute I think last night showed the extent of the task quite openly...we were playing ok, getting a decent pressure on the opposition when they had the ball but the moment we wanted to go forward with a bit of pace we looked like strangers who had to pause before identifying an option to pass to.  Hopefully that will improve with time but we are scarily pedestrian with the ball which makes us easy to play against. 

Would sacking Bruce improve this overnight? I can't see it would.  Can see why some would see it as a fair roll of the dice with the current run though.

Will Bruce be able to put together a fit & dynamic, attacking team for the start of next season? I hoped that would be the case when he took over, every defeat is sapping at that hope.

i still really, really hope he succeeds but the next 10 days are huge.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #636 on: February 21, 2017, 12:08:30 PM »
I'm still holding my nerve in the Bruce stays camp but he is making it so hard to do it...the scenario that we lose the next 2 home games would pretty much make it untenable for me...he desperately needs to find 4 points as a minimum then follow it up with 3pts at Rotherham to release that pressure that is building.

Putting the calamitous errors to one side for a minute I think last night showed the extent of the task quite openly...we were playing ok, getting a decent pressure on the opposition when they had the ball but the moment we wanted to go forward with a bit of pace we looked like strangers who had to pause before identifying an option to pass to.  Hopefully that will improve with time but we are scarily pedestrian with the ball which makes us easy to play against. 

Would sacking Bruce improve this overnight
? I can't see it would.  Can see why some would see it as a fair roll of the dice with the current run though.

Will Bruce be able to put together a fit & dynamic, attacking team for the start of next season? I hoped that would be the case when he took over, every defeat is sapping at that hope.

i still really, really hope he succeeds but the next 10 days are huge.
Depends who comes in as replacement!
But, I agree that changing manager has not proved a winning formula for us over the last last 7 years.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #637 on: February 21, 2017, 12:10:11 PM »
Bruce needs time to work it through with this squad and another transfer window and pre-season,  I hope he gets it.
An absolute horrible thought, what have you seen that makes you want to see more of this?

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #638 on: February 21, 2017, 12:11:08 PM »
When he said If Kodja does not score then Villa do not score.

so he plays him on the left wing  ( where he takes too many players on anyway and loses the ball without looking for a pass )
instead of up front , and Hogan might has well play on fantasy island hes that much isolated .

Offline OzVilla

« Reply #639 on: February 21, 2017, 12:12:06 PM »
Well if we are all holding our breath awaiting for a Rafa like Messiah to turn up we are wasting our time.

The candidates when we were a decent PL outfit wernt up to much so we'll be choosing from the likes of Rowett and Pardew if we're lucky in our current position.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #640 on: February 21, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
Gareth , Bruce has never put together a dynamic attacking team in his whole time as a football manager, if your looking for that he is  not the man.
Do not want to keep sacking managers, but even if he manages to keep us up this season, I do not want him here next season, come May at the latest bye bye Brucey.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #641 on: February 21, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »
Agreed that last night hasn't changed anything, losing away to the best team in the league isn't a big shock. If we lose the next three, ending with Rotherham, then I think he'll get the boot and probably will deserve it.

Offline OzVilla

« Reply #642 on: February 21, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »
An absolute horrible thought, what have you seen that makes you want to see more of this?

Because I'm looking at his whole career and not just the last 2 months. I still think he can be a success with us but I can also see that the next few matches are huge for him.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #643 on: February 21, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
I worry about us for next season. My impression, and I haven't researched stats to back this up so it may be wrong, is that teams seem to get worse the longer that Bruce remains with them. I worry about his recruitment so I'm not that confident that he will be able to turn it round and get us in the mix for promotion next season.

A glaring hole for me is that he has just gone out and bought to strengthen the midfield but has left us light up front. And amongst the midfielders he has bought, he didn't get anyone as backup for the Jedi when he had already been struggling with fitness and there must be doubts about his ability to play 3 games a week

I wasn't keen on him being appointed our manager in the first place because he is very much more of the same and I thought it was a good opportunity to go for a new approach. But once he was appointed then I thought maybe as a short term fix to get us back up. Now I am doubting that
I thought it was STEVE round and scouting team identifying and recruiting with Keith wyness with lesser involvement from Bruce ?

which brings me back to a point I made on the Steve Round thread when he was appointed. Why do people think he is qualified to be a director of football when up to now, the most important job he has done is been Moyes' assistant

He has a qualification in sport and business management, which covers all the elements of a Technical Director's job. He has numerous F.A. coaching and sport science qualifications. He's worked more or less continuously in coaching for 22 years, all at top two division clubs including Manchester United, Newcastle and Everton.

Let me turn the question around. Who did you think we were going to appoint as a Technical Director as a club in rapid decline, in the second tier? There aren't that many in this country with specific experience of that job as there haven't been that many clubs operating with such a role.

Round's job is around overhauling the scouting, sports science, academy, medical etc departments. That isn't going to be work that is visible in less than six months. Starting to moan about him at this stage really is scraping the barrel.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:21:39 PM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #644 on: February 21, 2017, 12:21:27 PM »
I view Steve Round much like Les Reed at Southampton - Reed was a shocking choice to sit in the dugout but he's the most important person at Saints now. I'm not saying Round will be as successful but a DOF who is allowed to do their job and start a new mentality which didn't exist before could be vital in our long-term future.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal