collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 07:02:22 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by JD
[Today at 05:32:46 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Hillbilly
[Today at 04:32:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Hillbilly
[Today at 04:27:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2112978 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #525 on: February 19, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »
I think we should stick with him, but I think he's fortunate that we've changed managers so many times recently because if his recent form continues for much longer he would certainly have been out the door otherwise. I think the realisation that swapping and changing has got us no where over the last couple of years will buy him a lot more time. And my gut feeling is that he'll be a success if we do give him the time.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #526 on: February 19, 2017, 09:30:40 PM »
You cannot " change the whole ethos of the club " by bringing in a Bielsa or similar - whose only thoughts will be for the First Team and to get his promotion bonus. Such a mercenary will only be looking out for Number One. I believe that with Wyness, Little and Round and - currently Bruce - the club will be changed, improved and up-graded. And if SB is determined to better coach the squad, we will succeed in promotion. Next Season.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #527 on: February 19, 2017, 10:10:57 PM »
There is nothing on Bielsa's CV that suggests he's a "mercenary", as far as I can see.

As somebody pointed out that he will be otherwise employed next season, it's a moot point anyway. Rodgers or Howe then, from my original list.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #528 on: February 20, 2017, 12:44:57 AM »
Bollocks.

We are, and will always be, a massive club regardless of what division we are in.

That's the spirit!

Totally agree.

Thanks, CDBWF.

Offline dave17

« Reply #529 on: February 20, 2017, 01:02:04 AM »
There is nothing on Bielsa's CV that suggests he's a "mercenary", as far as I can see.

As somebody pointed out that he will be otherwise employed next season, it's a moot point anyway. Rodgers or Howe then, from my original list.
Clearly a top coach but according to the Tim vickery has little to no English. Plus his insistence on high levels of fitness will go down well with our lot....

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #530 on: February 20, 2017, 04:25:41 AM »
We have been run like a joke for Lerners tenure, that was plain to see, what is starting to raise concerns is, has that been corrected, we see on the other Bruce thread certain accusations about players ability, fat macs attitude is there to be seen, deals for season tickets made last year not seemingly being kept for next season, our anti villa media man, we saw the need for a strong manager to come in and change the playing side accepting the fact that Wyness and Round were strong enough to get off the field right, with our continual plummet is it really happening after all Dr Tony is new at this game as well.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #531 on: February 20, 2017, 07:15:31 AM »
Dwight Gayle was a fantastic signing for them as well.

Yeah and the majority on here thought he was crap. We need to stop living on psst glory and stop saying we're a big club. We were but at the moment were anything but

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #532 on: February 20, 2017, 07:28:19 AM »
Agree Kuwait.  I also find it disturbing that there are straws in the wind that suggest the laissez-faire culture that was spawned by Lerner's absenteeism - alleged bullying, short list of one, contracts handed out like soap coupons, scouts living Australia - has not been fully eradicated.

Taken in isolation incidents like Gestede being allowed to leave ahead of the ACN, Gabby being made room for and touted as a valuable asset, the reluctance to blood young players, the nose on the front line payroll and now Micah Richards being trumpeted as a returning hero, are relatively minor matters but collectively they begin to look like the re-emergence of a Villa sloppiness that clings on.

Our past mistakes were so devastating there must be no room for the manager or anybody running the club to adopt an attitude of their judgement overriding the need for spades to be called spades.  Always.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #533 on: February 20, 2017, 07:37:28 AM »
Problem being thou Brian, if Bruce does not get it right, he will not have the power to influence things off the pitch, again I am not sure he is the man to do that influencing, but a strong winning manager would have more of a chance of calling out the issues that do not seem to have gone away and forcing peoples hand into doing things in a professional manner.

We are in such a state still on the pitch that things have gone on as you have mentioned above and no notice seems to be taken off them, to me it still shows an approach to off field matters that we hoped and prayed were a thing of the past and a major concern is still the thinking that to fix it, all that needs doing is throw some more money at it, especially when it is not apparent yet where this money is coming from, the first set of accounts should put that to bed hopefully.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #534 on: February 20, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »
Yes to all of that Kuwait.  There has to be professional rigour from the top to the bottom of the club.  Everybody being held to account.  No exceptions.

The comparison that gives me some hope is that of British cycling.  Time was when  British winner of a stage of the Tour de France was almost beyond our wildest dreams.  By the establishment of analytical rigour, in which no detail of potential improvement of performance was too small to take on board, our riders now compete with the best in the world.

For us to get back to being secure in the Premiership, that is the level of professionalism that has to be imposed at Villa Park. Every aspect of the players habits, lifestyle, mental state, finances, domestic situation- everything has to be in the mix.  All the evidence I have seen watching us play for the last five years is that over and above the players not being good enough, they lack discipline, leadership and organisation.  That has to come from the manager.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #535 on: February 20, 2017, 09:12:21 AM »
so we go again, manager wise?

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #536 on: February 20, 2017, 09:29:43 AM »
We have been run like a joke for Lerners tenure, that was plain to see, what is starting to raise concerns is, has that been corrected, we see on the other Bruce thread certain accusations about players ability, fat macs attitude is there to be seen, deals for season tickets made last year not seemingly being kept for next season, our anti villa media man, we saw the need for a strong manager to come in and change the playing side accepting the fact that Wyness and Round were strong enough to get off the field right, with our continual plummet is it really happening after all Dr Tony is new at this game as well.

To my mind the abject failure to stabilise and adapt to this league is symptomatic of shortcomings in our management structure.Dr X has never owned a football club before and as I have previously said is currently learning on the job.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #537 on: February 20, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »
That's what I said passport, Dr Tony is new at this game and it concerns me the sort of mistakes still occurring that we put down to the boy child Faulkner, but should not expect from experienced football people we were told we had got with Wyness and Round.

Online sid1964

« Reply #538 on: February 20, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »
it seems to me that there is so much to put right that no one knows where to start, every time we seem to fix a problem another issue comes to the surface, but I suppose that is the problem with any business that has been poorly run over a long period of time.

I am surprised that we are not in a worse situation than we are. Obviously throwing money at the problem is not the answer.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #539 on: February 20, 2017, 10:21:59 AM »
Throwing money at it is part of the answer. Man for man we are better than just about everybody in the league, but it takes time to heal the neglect in the rear echelons of the club and also to foster a bit of forward momentum on the pitch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal