collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113609 times)

Offline Allan C

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #510 on: February 19, 2017, 02:12:06 PM »
Bollocks.

We are, and will always be, a massive club regardless of what division we are in.
Agree totally, we are a massive club but we need to start thinking massive. selecting Bruce was not the appointment of a massive club and we should do whatever it takes to get the right man in place

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #511 on: February 19, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »
It's looking increasingly like that's the case, sadly.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #512 on: February 19, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
Bollocks.

We are, and will always be, a massive club regardless of what division we are in.
Agree totally, we are a massive club but we need to start thinking massive. selecting Bruce was not the appointment of a massive club and we should do whatever it takes to get the right man in place

What should have been the appointment of a massive club in the Championship?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:28:01 PM by Clampy »

Offline Allan C

« Reply #513 on: February 19, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
Agree again, Bruce was an uninspiring choice IMO. We should have pushed the boat out to get a manager to take us to the top again where we should be. Hopefully that's what we are doing.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #514 on: February 19, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
Bollocks.

What should have been the appointment of a massive club in the Championship?
I have to be honest, I don't know and I don't know if the club looked any further than Bruce or Rowett or RDM or Pesrson. I was happy with the appointment of RDM and Steve Clark has been mentioned on these threads. My point is that if Newcastle could retain Benitez then maybe we could have done more to get a similar manager

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #515 on: February 19, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
As has been pointed out, Benitez took over when they were a PL club and possibly felt some duty/challenge to get them back there. I doubt he would have agreed to be their manager if they were already in the Ch'ship.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #516 on: February 19, 2017, 03:23:04 PM »
Sadly i don't think we have 2 or 3 years unless you are happy for us allways to be in the lower leagues.

Sadly we are where we deserve to be......
Whatever people may think we are now no "bigger" a club than Southampton etc....
Living on the past and what we were is futile.
Realism should rule but sadly it doesn't....
Agree, a 3rd season in this league will strip the last of the big club veneer away, with the wages we are carrying the outcome could be devastating.
We have the rest of this season and the summer to prepare for that last hurrah, we can not afford to fail.

Southampton came back from the dead to be a solid PL club. Leicester became champions having been on the verge of relegation. Nothing is written in stone and we have a far better structure in place than a number of clubs that went down and never returned. That's not a reason to be complacent or take it for granted we will come back but what we have established behind the scenes will aid our recovery. This season has been a huge disappointment but maybe it's a bit like trying to fix your swing in the middle of a round of golf. It often gets worse. We might need to get to the end of the season, keep Bruce and have him really decide on who and what he wants us to be to get out next season.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #517 on: February 19, 2017, 03:41:40 PM »
Sadly i don't think we have 2 or 3 years unless you are happy for us allways to be in the lower leagues.

This

If we dont go up next season we are fucked

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #518 on: February 19, 2017, 03:46:05 PM »
Agree again, Bruce was an uninspiring choice IMO. We should have pushed the boat out to get a manager to take us to the top again where we should be. Hopefully that's what we are doing.

We need to earn the right to act and be treated like a "massive club". You cannot jump straight from 5 years of neglect into contenders just by talking the talk.

To my mind the rest of the season is about getting us to a point whereby we can be ready to go from day 1 next season. We now have a a decent set of players an a manager with a track record of achieving what we want to achieve in the sort term, I think changing him now and the uncertainty that brings should be resisted unless absolutely necessary.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #519 on: February 19, 2017, 03:56:46 PM »

We need to earn the right to act and be treated like a "massive club". You cannot jump straight from 5 years of neglect into contenders just by talking the talk.

To my mind the rest of the season is about getting us to a point whereby we can be ready to go from day 1 next season. We now have a a decent set of players an a manager with a track record of achieving what we want to achieve in the sort term, I think changing him now and the uncertainty that brings should be resisted unless absolutely necessary.

Spot on.
Massive in our eyes yes but nobody else's.

Also the way this club has been run over the last 5 years means that visiting or opposing teams don't need team talks before games. We've written it for them.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #520 on: February 19, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »
From McLeish on, we have looked for managers to plug the hole and bale out some of the water, so that we rise a little. The problem has been that we were holed again and took in more water than before and so on until we were relegated.

We took the same approach with RDM and now with Bruce. The thinking being that we only need to carry on with what we have been doing but improve by x %.

There comes a time when somebody has to decide whether we have bottomed out and start with a completely new approach.  I thought the time was the beginning of the season and we should have gone more coach orientated than manager approach and cleared out all of the 'old fashioned' type players.  If Bruce fails to recover something in what remains of this season, I think we will need this new approach.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #521 on: February 19, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
I think we need a manager to change the whole ethos of the club, a new Graham Taylor. Bruce doesn't seem likely to be that man.

Not sure who it should be. Eddie Howe, Brendan Rodgers or (the dream appointment) Marcelo Bielsa would be my choices.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #522 on: February 19, 2017, 04:11:41 PM »

Sadly we are where we deserve to be......
Whatever people may think we are now no "bigger" a club than Southampton etc....
Living on the past and what we were is futile.
Realism should rule but sadly it doesn't....
Agree, a 3rd season in this league will strip the last of the big club veneer away, with the wages we are carrying the outcome could be devastating.
We have the rest of this season and the summer to prepare for that last hurrah, we can not afford to fail.

Southampton came back from the dead to be a solid PL club. Leicester became champions having been on the verge of relegation. Nothing is written in stone and we have a far better structure in place than a number of clubs that went down and never returned. That's not a reason to be complacent or take it for granted we will come back but what we have established behind the scenes will aid our recovery. This season has been a huge disappointment but maybe it's a bit like trying to fix your swing in the middle of a round of golf. It often gets worse. We might need to get to the end of the season, keep Bruce and have him really decide on who and what he wants us to be to get out next season.

What he wants us to be is what we're seeing right now but with more clean sheets.  How we've been playing for the last 2-3 months is how Bruce teams play, the difference is he just can't seem to get the defence organised and in his panic he's made a bit of a mess of things.  If he can get the defence organised and working it can be effective, that much is clear but we're not going to suddenly look like a fluid attacking team, it'll be lots of hard fought low scoring games settled by moments of quality, set pieces and/or mistakes.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #523 on: February 19, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
Being a big club is an ongoing process. You have to continually earn it. Once you get complacent it starts to collapse in on itself - and the bigger the club, the harder it falls. Thinking everything will be alright because you're a big club is arrogance. Complacency and arrogance is a surefire recipe for failure. You have to be vigilant. You have to be prepared. Being a 'massive club' in League 1 is no use to anyone except the clubs that'll enjoy giving you a kicking before you wake up to yourself.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #524 on: February 19, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »
I think we need a manager to change the whole ethos of the club, a new Graham Taylor. Bruce doesn't seem likely to be that man.

Not sure who it should be. Eddie Howe, Brendan Rodgers or (the dream appointment) Marcelo Bielsa would be my choices.

Bielsa will be Lille manager next season

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal