collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113605 times)

Offline 260475

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #495 on: February 18, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »
Think you have to look at where we were in recent times to assess the scale of the task for anyone, whether that was RDM / SC or SB. I am on the record as saying Steve Clarke running his own show was worth a try, but when he didn't get the main role he wasn't going to stick around. The current Manager was (and is) therefore the sensible choice at a point mid season - available, experienced, measured. Expectations and the title of this thread annoy me as there is clearly so much to do. There is a new owner, new board, new management  team (with more additions quite recently). No pre-season view or planning of what there was to work with. (In fairness, RDM was a late appt too so didn't have much view either), a hurried January window bolstering the squad. In the main ok but only had what 3 games together so far?

I just took a view of the PL table whilst working out my next picks for the 'Predictor', and even Sunderland, Palace and Hull have now got more points with 13 games to go in that league than we did in the entire '15/16 season. This should be a 2, 3 year project not 14 games and 4 months. Shows how far down we were. Stick with it.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #496 on: February 18, 2017, 09:39:16 PM »
Sadly i don't think we have 2 or 3 years unless you are happy for us allways to be in the lower leagues.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #497 on: February 18, 2017, 09:55:56 PM »
I thought that RDM with Clarke as assistant was a very solid and pragmatic appointment.

I'm still in the give Bruce a chance crowd but his time is running out fast after spending so much, a tonking up at the geordies could be the end of him I think.

I hope he makes it work as there aren't many with better credentials for getting out of this league.

For the second window running, we seem to have bought players without having a clear plan of how to utilise them properly or how to fit them in to a system.  Bruce is still struggling to find a starting team that looks anything like coherent. 

Offline 260475

« Reply #498 on: February 18, 2017, 09:58:50 PM »
Point taken CL. I wouldn't wish to be in the lower leagues for too long. In the years I most actively followed the Villa (i.e. as a boy) we had 8 seasons outside the top flight (incl two in Div 3), and in that time were runners up in the LCF once, and then won it. When we did get back to the top tier it then took 6 seasons before we won it in '81 and the foundations were laid many years before. I quite enjoyed the ride.

I guess the difference now is the game is awash with money, so to some extent success can be bought, but that is an arms race that frightens some off, or ruins others?

Offline AGRIPPA

« Reply #499 on: February 19, 2017, 12:11:49 AM »
Sadly i don't think we have 2 or 3 years unless you are happy for us allways to be in the lower leagues.

Sadly we are where we deserve to be......
Whatever people may think we are now no "bigger" a club than Southampton etc....
Living on the past and what we were is futile.
Realism should rule but sadly it doesn't....

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #500 on: February 19, 2017, 06:46:23 AM »
The one consistent with Aston Villa over the last 7 years, is consistently plummeting new depths, we find ourselves 6 points from the third bottom in a division that most accept, apart from 3 or 4 clubs is woeful, we are now back at throwing money at the problem and our told by many, have faith and patience Bruce has been here and done it, as stated I think by Brian, I want to see what he is doing now, not what he has done at previous clubs, because he has also been responsible for getting teams relegated, my concern with that is, he is the sort of manager that when things are going reasonably well he is ok, but when a rot sets in he is not equipped to deal with it, a straight comparison with the Alan Pardew's of this world.
Tough decisions may have to be made between now and May, but the one thing I would not do, is give him next season, I just do not think he is a medium never mind long term solution to what is required at Villa Park.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #501 on: February 19, 2017, 08:14:06 AM »
Agree Kuwait.  Whatever the risks of change, and there are big risks, they are not as great as failing to be proactive.  All our tribulations over the last seven years have arisen from failure to read future consequences from retrospectively justified decisions.

How many times have the red warning lights been ignored?  Hiring a manager with a heart condition.  The owner flying to Corsica personally to engage a second rate manager.  Dithering for years with a manager failing to reproduce his form with previous clubs. A short list of one. Failure to back a new manager with a single added player.  The appointment of a stop gap manager more concerned with his own assured future than serving the club paying his wages. Appointing a manager with his best accomplishments long behind him. Bringing Gabriel Agbonlahor back into the fold.  Suggestions that Richards will be resurrected.

Just a few examples of decisions being made on the hoof.  Making it up as we go along.

Bruce must get some more time, but in return he must take a good hard look at his current performance and learn from his mistakes. Not adopt a stance of it has always worked in the past.  We want results now.  We must have results now.  Prevarication will have us in Division 1.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #502 on: February 19, 2017, 09:23:19 AM »
Not sure who we would get in Brian if we got rid now, but I am far from convinced he is the man for next season. I hate this excuse (not given by him but by others) that they are not his players, I think the only manager that may apply to, that they are his own players is Wenger, any other manager has to get on with the resources he walks into and not many of them have been given the luxury to replace so many so quickly than Mr. Bruce.
Whoever is in the job come August, they should be told, enough wholesale changes, or if they are required you buy with what you gather from sales, we seem to accept and now take as normal, players that look well above average at their previous clubs, as soon as they walk through the doors of B6 they  then can go to shite.
Throughout the club not just at first team level the standard of coaching seems dire, Wyness, Round need to grasp this by the throat and sort out a style of play they want established at the club, another reason why I am not a fan of Bruce and then get someone in who can carry out their requirements. If not "This sack him" will just continue. Employ chancers, you take chances.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #503 on: February 19, 2017, 10:30:44 AM »
Bruce was doing perfectly well when he didn't have 'his own' players in before the window opened.  Now, with his own players, we are appalling.  He seems not to know how to formulate a winning team from the vast resources he has.  Every time we go through a transfer window and reflect afterwards, he should have sign this or that players for this or that position etc.  We talk about the weight of expectation on being at Villa but I don't buy it.  Do the basics right, be better organised, don't be scared to try something different. Bruce seems to lack imagination and seems to prefer not to lose than to go all out to win. Frankly, it's boring watching them and no, he shouldn't get another season unless this one ends with us looking solid and forwardly progressing in terms of results and quality of football.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #504 on: February 19, 2017, 12:06:14 PM »
he might prefer not to lose and set a team up accordingly, but since Boxing Day that's all he has done. Get spanked tomorrow, lose against Derby and he's gone imo.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #505 on: February 19, 2017, 12:40:18 PM »
The one consistent with Aston Villa over the last 7 years, is consistently plummeting new depths, we find ourselves 6 points from the third bottom in a division that most accept, apart from 3 or 4 clubs is woeful, we are now back at throwing money at the problem and our told by many, have faith and patience Bruce has been here and done it, as stated I think by Brian, I want to see what he is doing now, not what he has done at previous clubs, because he has also been responsible for getting teams relegated, my concern with that is, he is the sort of manager that when things are going reasonably well he is ok, but when a rot sets in he is not equipped to deal with it, a straight comparison with the Alan Pardew's of this world.
Tough decisions may have to be made between now and May, but the one thing I would not do, is give him next season, I just do not think he is a medium never mind long term solution to what is required at Villa Park.
There's more than one Alan Pardew?

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #506 on: February 19, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
There's more than one Alan Pardew?
Warburton?
Hell, we might do better with the Cowley brothers once they've got Lincoln back into the League!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #507 on: February 19, 2017, 01:42:04 PM »

Sadly we are where we deserve to be......
Whatever people may think we are now no "bigger" a club than Southampton etc....
Living on the past and what we were is futile.
Realism should rule but sadly it doesn't....
Agree, a 3rd season in this league will strip the last of the big club veneer away, with the wages we are carrying the outcome could be devastating.
We have the rest of this season and the summer to prepare for that last hurrah, we can not afford to fail.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #508 on: February 19, 2017, 01:58:55 PM »
We need to forget all about being a big club and put all our efforts into becoming one again.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #509 on: February 19, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »
Bollocks.

We are, and will always be, a massive club regardless of what division we are in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal