collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2115159 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #480 on: February 18, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »
My point was that stability in the sense of continuing with Bruce for the sake of it wasn't worth the risk if his results were to drag us down into another division. Fwiwi I want him to succeed but right now he looks like a man out of his depth

I think his record would show that he is not out of his depth.  However, he has made some poor decisions since he has been here and continues to do so.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #481 on: February 18, 2017, 05:26:47 PM »
Brighton and SheffWed showed today how to deal with pesky opponents.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #482 on: February 18, 2017, 05:29:28 PM »
Lads, how was Benitez able to get Newcastle playing pretty quickly with a host of new players?

Beacuse he is a world class manager is why.

The fact he is managing in the Championship is frankly staggering. Newcastle are incredibly lucky to have him and I doubt the Championship will see a manager of his caliber again in decades.

He really is not a good comparison to make. He is an anomaly in this league.

Resurrecting an old comment but agree 100% with this. For all the money we've thrown around across both Lerner's and The Doc's reigns it's a staggering fact that we haven't seen fit to, or been able to, bring in a genuinely great manager. The only one we've had with an ounce of gravitas was MON.
Houllier was the opportunity missed - due to his health. If he'd stayed healthy and been allowed to draw the poison that was in the squad, we might well have avoided all the current shite and all that has come to us in the last 5-6 years.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #483 on: February 18, 2017, 05:48:11 PM »
That's true. And since then we've had a succession of failed managers that defies all probability. What might have been if we'd gone all out for a world class manager when he left instead of the bizarre choice of TSM1. It's amazing we didn't considering the wages we were paying.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #484 on: February 18, 2017, 05:55:22 PM »
Resurrecting an old comment but agree 100% with this. For all the money we've thrown around across both Lerner's and The Doc's reigns it's a staggering fact that we haven't seen fit to, or been able to, bring in a genuinely great manager. The only one we've had with an ounce of gravitas was MON.

Koeman was touting himself for the Villa job back in 2010:

"In Holland, we have always viewed Villa as an important club with a tradition of being powerful in Europe when I was younger, so I would be very interested in managing them if the job was offered to me," he told the Daily Express. "Even though the last two results have been painful blows, I also saw them take West Ham apart 3-0 and I enjoyed the playing style.

"One of the things I'd bring to Villa if I was in charge is the idea that winning is important in football, but winning while playing offensive football is the best of all. I love English football because of its brilliant atmosphere, intensity of the competition and the culture of respect that fans and players have for the game.

"I have been holding off and turning down offers simply because I want to coach in England, and where better than Villa Park? "

He added: "Villa have the perfect blend of talented young English players and experienced continental footballer, so I see no reason why they could not qualify for Champions League football next season.

"I've coached in Holland, Portugal and Spain and not only won trophies each time, but taken sides to the latter stages of the Champions League. I'd like to match that with Villa if the job becomes available."

Benitez did similar in 2011- talking up the academy structures (seen as the club's strength at the time) and trying to dissuade the notion he was a chequebook manager:

“I like the responsibility to decide the ambition of a club – the plan, the academy and the young players, all of these things together. I have experience now and can do well – especially with staff who know the Premier League.”

Both he and Quique Sánchez Flores got as far as the interview stage that summer.  We ended up with Alex McLeish instead.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:57:24 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #485 on: February 18, 2017, 06:00:41 PM »

"In Holland, we have always viewed Villa as an important club with a tradition of being powerful in Europe when I was younger, so I would be very interested in managing them if the job was offered to me," he told the Daily Express. "Even though the last two results have been painful blows, I also saw them take West Ham apart 3-0 and I enjoyed the playing style.

"One of the things I'd bring to Villa if I was in charge is the idea that winning is important in football, but winning while playing offensive football is the best of all. I love English football because of its brilliant atmosphere, intensity of the competition and the culture of respect that fans and players have for the game.

"I have been holding off and turning down offers simply because I want to coach in England, and where better than Villa Park? "

He added: "Villa have the perfect blend of talented young English players and experienced continental footballer, so I see no reason why they could not qualify for Champions League football next season.

"I've coached in Holland, Portugal and Spain and not only won trophies each time, but taken sides to the latter stages of the Champions League. I'd like to match that with Villa if the job becomes available."

Benitez did similar in 2011- talking up the academy structures (seen as the club's strength at the time) and trying to dissuade the notion he was a chequebook manager:

“I like the responsibility to decide the ambition of a club – the plan, the academy and the young players, all of these things together. I have experience now and can do well – especially with staff who know the Premier League.”

Both he and Quique Sánchez Flores got as far as the interview stage that summer.  We ended up with Alex McLeish instead.
That is always going to go down as one of the most strangest of appointments of all time. From the possibility of Koeman, Rafa, Flores to McCleish. That's up there with who and how did they build the pyramids.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #486 on: February 18, 2017, 06:01:59 PM »
Benitez interviewed for the Villa job (I forgot which summer). Randy heard how much money he thought he'd need and cut the interview short after half an hour.

Someone on here who knows about such things told me that. I figure it's now so long ago, I can reveal it in public.

Obv, if this is already common knowledge, I apologise, I've genuinely no idea.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #487 on: February 18, 2017, 06:03:32 PM »

That is always going to go down as one of the most strangest of appointments of all time. From the possibility of Koeman, Rafa, Flores to McCleish. That's up there with who and how did they build the pyramids.

Yep.

The pain and rubbish of the Houllier year, we then start playing reasonable football at the end of that year, try to find a manager with the same style, then suddenly appoint someone everyone knew would undo the gains of the Houllier season and take us back into prehistory.

The single most important decision in our recent history.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #488 on: February 18, 2017, 06:05:23 PM »
Attracting managers of that calibre wasn't the hard part.

Working around the Lerner/Faulkner handicap obviously was. Within two minutes of speaking to that pair of ninnies they must have ran for the hills.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:13:12 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #489 on: February 18, 2017, 06:06:02 PM »
Frustrating is an understatement.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #490 on: February 18, 2017, 07:29:53 PM »
As depressing as it is reading Koeman's comments, we should remember he'd had a poor time at Valencia followed by 16 games (losing 7) at Dutch champions, AZ.

Paulie talks about "The single most important decision in our recent history" but the hiring of RDM by Xia runs it very close. Come the summer, should we need to replace Bruce, I don't see a shortage of applicants, managers like Quique Sánchez Flores would probably walk here given the chance.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #491 on: February 18, 2017, 07:33:07 PM »
Time remaining to attract a top class manager is fast running out, that clock is ticking strong and loud.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #492 on: February 18, 2017, 07:47:04 PM »
As depressing as it is reading Koeman's comments, we should remember he'd had a poor time at Valencia followed by 16 games (losing 7) at Dutch champions, AZ.

Paulie talks about "The single most important decision in our recent history" but the hiring of RDM by Xia runs it very close. Come the summer, should we need to replace Bruce, I don't see a shortage of applicants, managers like Quique Sánchez Flores would probably walk here given the chance.

The difference is we were a shambles and relegated when Xia took over, which probably limited our options. By contrast, when Lerner gave the job to McLeish we were still a good proposition and should have been able to recruit from far higher up the food chain.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #493 on: February 18, 2017, 08:09:39 PM »
I thought that RDM with Clarke as assistant was a very solid and pragmatic appointment.

I'm still in the give Bruce a chance crowd but his time is running out fast after spending so much, a tonking up at the geordies could be the end of him I think.

I hope he makes it work as there aren't many with better credentials for getting out of this league.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #494 on: February 18, 2017, 08:54:14 PM »
That was then.  This is now.  I want to see him live up to his billing now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal