collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114477 times)

Offline wince

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #465 on: February 17, 2017, 08:24:46 PM »
I concur with pre match thread. Something fishy is going on....

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #466 on: February 18, 2017, 09:05:56 AM »
He deserves to go just on what he is saying on the OS re Richards

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #467 on: February 18, 2017, 10:02:10 AM »
Voted no.

With Lambert, we made the mistake of hanging on to our manager when it clearly wasn't working. Seemingly, that created a notion that we are too patient and let the rot set in before we made a change.

But I don't think we have made that mistake in other cases. Both Garde and Di Matteo left too soon, imo.

Then there are the examples of McLeish and Sherwood. But they shouldn't have been appointed at all.

I'm not a big fan of Bruce, but unless a clear upgrade is obviously available, we should keep him. We need stability more than yet another change.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #468 on: February 18, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »
but if that stability means sliding into div 3 you don't need it do you? Somewhere along the line, the line has to be drawn for self preservation's sake, and Dr Tony will do it.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #469 on: February 18, 2017, 10:59:15 AM »
but if that stability means sliding into div 3 you don't need it do you? Somewhere along the line, the line has to be drawn for self preservation's sake, and Dr Tony will do it.

But we haven't slid into div 3 yet have we? We may do but we may also have a mid-table finish, top half finish. Who knows?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #470 on: February 18, 2017, 11:01:00 AM »
agreed Clampy but if the current malaise carries on for another half dozen games he's toast

Online Clampy

« Reply #471 on: February 18, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »
agreed Clampy but if the current malaise carries on for another half dozen games he's toast

And if it doesn't, then we give him a pre-season. It sounds fair enough to me.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #472 on: February 18, 2017, 11:13:16 AM »

Of course that is a possibility but it not likely. Half a dozen teams below us in the table have all got to pick up more points than us over the remainder of the season for us to be in the bottom 3. While one or two might show an improvement the chances of all of them doing it are slim.

I am not suggesting this is a good place to be but as it stands relegation is not a major concern and Bruce should be given the opportunity to do what his record suggests he is good at.

Online Clampy

« Reply #473 on: February 18, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
As for Richards, in a back 5 away from home now and again might work in this division. The thought of him and Hutton in a back 4 again though is not even worth contemplating.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #474 on: February 18, 2017, 01:35:03 PM »
Richards anywhere on the pitch gets a no from me

I had the misfortune of being within 20 yards of him when he has "played" at right back and was staggered by his complete lack of any positional sense whatsover

He was continual drawn towards the centre and was completely unaware that a player might run behind hi

And he is a c***

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #475 on: February 18, 2017, 01:36:18 PM »

Of course that is a possibility but it not likely. Half a dozen teams below us in the table have all got to pick up more points than us over the remainder of the season for us to be in the bottom 3. While one or two might show an improvement the chances of all of them doing it are slim.

I am not suggesting this is a good place to be but as it stands relegation is not a major concern and Bruce should be given the opportunity to do what his record suggests he is good at.

There are two main objectives remaining this season: avoid relegation and don't get beaten by SHA. Everything else is groundwork for next term.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #476 on: February 18, 2017, 02:13:33 PM »

And if it doesn't, then we give him a pre-season. It sounds fair enough to me.

I think we will know at the end of the season whether it is going to work or not.  If it looks as though he is a long way down the road to getting it right, you have to continue with him next season.  If by the end of the season there is no real improvement, a preseason not going to change it much. In which case, you need to give a new manager that time.  Come what may, our transfer dealings have to be done before the season starts. Running through to September is too disruptive.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #477 on: February 18, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »

Well, if we do slide into div 3, I don't think it's stability that will bring us there. Constantly changing the manager is a more likely way.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #478 on: February 18, 2017, 04:09:47 PM »
My point was that stability in the sense of continuing with Bruce for the sake of it wasn't worth the risk if his results were to drag us down into another division. Fwiwi I want him to succeed but right now he looks like a man out of his depth

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #479 on: February 18, 2017, 04:14:19 PM »
Lads, how was Benitez able to get Newcastle playing pretty quickly with a host of new players?

Beacuse he is a world class manager is why.

The fact he is managing in the Championship is frankly staggering. Newcastle are incredibly lucky to have him and I doubt the Championship will see a manager of his caliber again in decades.

He really is not a good comparison to make. He is an anomaly in this league.

Resurrecting an old comment but agree 100% with this. For all the money we've thrown around across both Lerner's and The Doc's reigns it's a staggering fact that we haven't seen fit to, or been able to, bring in a genuinely great manager. The only one we've had with an ounce of gravitas was MON.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal