collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113123 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #450 on: February 16, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »
Ultimately I don't care what Bruce says in interviews and whether players try too hard or not hard enough. I care whether Bruce sets the team up right and the players score more goals than the opposition.

Offline russon

« Reply #451 on: February 16, 2017, 10:43:09 PM »
I can't tell you how good it feels to open the Discussion forum and not see a pre-match thread up the top of the page. Such a relief.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #452 on: February 16, 2017, 11:41:53 PM »
So we can't agree on what he meant but each of us thinks we know what he meant. Well I hope he understood the meaning of what he said.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #453 on: February 17, 2017, 03:24:11 AM »
Lads, how was Benitez able to get Newcastle playing pretty quickly with a host of new players?

Beacuse he is a world class manager is why.

The fact he is managing in the Championship is frankly staggering. Newcastle are incredibly lucky to have him and I doubt the Championship will see a manager of his caliber again in decades.

He really is not a good comparison to make. He is an anomaly in this league.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #454 on: February 17, 2017, 07:08:52 AM »
To think back to MON leaving Rafa created quite a stir here, if I remember right he wasn't the most popular choice?

Online manic-road

« Reply #455 on: February 17, 2017, 07:43:16 AM »
Lads, how was Benitez able to get Newcastle playing pretty quickly with a host of new players?

The fact he is managing in the Championship is frankly staggering. Newcastle are incredibly lucky to have him and I doubt the Championship will see a manager of his caliber again in decades.

Plus they didn't buy a host of new players, in fact after the summer window they ended up £30m in credit.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #456 on: February 17, 2017, 08:01:44 AM »

Plus they didn't buy a host of new players, in fact after the summer window they ended up £30m in credit.

Ending up in credit doesn't mean they didn't buy a load of new players - they spent over £50m on ten new signings.

They just managed to recoup a load of it by getting £25m for Wijnaldum and £30m for Sissokho.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #457 on: February 17, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »
Dwight Gayle was a fantastic signing for them as well.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #458 on: February 17, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »
The problem Bruce has created is having a pre season in the middle of the season. This was never going to work. However decisions to bring in new starters are not his alone.  The club therefore need to give him time and space to mak it work..   the question is how much time and how much patience have we all got

Offline Tony Daleys Shorts

« Reply #459 on: February 17, 2017, 01:42:17 PM »
I'm not sure if Bruce would be the right man for a promotion challenge from Division 3 next season, should current form continue.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #460 on: February 17, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »
The problem Bruce has created is having a pre season in the middle of the season. This was never going to work. However decisions to bring in new starters are not his alone.  The club therefore need to give him time and space to mak it work..  the question is how much time and how much patience have we all got

Methinks a right gubbing on Monday night would be a decisive factor...

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #461 on: February 17, 2017, 03:08:12 PM »

True, and the didn't go down with one of the worst teams in PL history either, so they had a sound base to go straight back up.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #462 on: February 17, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »

Aye, but if were they already in the Championship, I don't think they would have got him.

Jawdies took him on when they had a reasonable chance of staying up. Going down wasn't entirely on him, but he did feel partly responsible.

So he probably reasoned that a year in the Championship is a temporary 12 month setback, and that if the job was attractive enough when they were in the PL, he will be back there soon enough again with them.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:20:37 PM by KevinGage »

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #463 on: February 17, 2017, 03:19:51 PM »

True, and the didn't go down with one of the worst teams in PL history either, so they had a sound base to go straight back up.

Yup. We were in a lot worse state than them end of last season. We have replaced vritually every important position at the club, onwer, board, manager, coaching staff and our squad was awful. We have a much bigger job on our hands.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #464 on: February 17, 2017, 06:03:41 PM »
I can't tell you how good it feels to open the Discussion forum and not see a pre-match thread up the top of the page. Such a relief.

You should read it mate. This one is hilarious.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal