collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113906 times)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #360 on: February 16, 2017, 02:00:59 AM »
Yes we're extremely low scorers, but what I mean is we have players who, when it really matters, can finish the chances that others miss. We were low scorers in the last few Premier League seasons but at least we had Benteke - once we lost him, we lost all hope.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #361 on: February 16, 2017, 07:46:43 AM »
One thing that does concern me a bit is that before the transfer window we had 6 strikers. We now have 3, Kodjia, Hogan and a past it Gabby. I thought Kodjia was excellent the other night. God help us if he was to get injured.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #362 on: February 16, 2017, 07:58:46 AM »
I return unapologetically to my point about time.  Football is not standing still, it is changing and developing almost as you look at it.  Look at the Premiership with teams like Bournemouth, Swansea, Watford and Burnley, then look at the Championship with Us and Newcastle and Leeds and Wolves and Forest all living on past glory in the the football world that time forgot. 

The Championship that McLeish and Bruce allegedly could cut a swathe through is now full of teams like Brentford and Brighton and Barnsley.  Well drilled, well disciplined, fully fit, ambitious, obedient, team players with managers who do tactics and think about the game.

When Leicester won the title last year, watching them was like taking the back off a Swiss watch and watching the movement.  Every part with a job to do and doing it.  That is where contemporary football is, not Alan Hutton running through brick walls to cross the ball into the Holte Lower.

I do not want Bruce gone, yet, but I reserve the right to look at him and see yesterday's man, a football dinosaur seemingly unwilling or unable to change.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #363 on: February 16, 2017, 08:04:55 AM »
I return unapologetically to my point about time.  Football is not standing still, it is changing and developing almost as you look at it.  Look at the Premiership with teams like Bournemouth, Swansea, Watford and Burnley, then look at the Championship with Us and Newcastle and Leeds and Wolves and Forest all living on past glory in the the football world that time forgot. 

The Championship that McLeish and Bruce allegedly could cut a swathe through is now full of teams like Brentford and Brighton and Barnsley.  Well drilled, well disciplined, fully fit, ambitious, obedient, team players with managers who do tactics and think about the game.

When Leicester won the title last year, watching them was like taking the back off a Swiss watch and watching the movement.  Every part with a job to do and doing it.  That is where contemporary football is, not Alan Hutton running through brick walls to cross the ball into the Holte Lower.

I do not want Bruce gone, yet, but I reserve the right to look at him and see yesterday's man, a football dinosaur seemingly unwilling or unable to change.
I have to agree Brian. Like many on here I wasn't happy initially, but came round to the idea. Now I feel that my initial feeling was the right one. He's a yesterday's man and member of the charlatan merry-go-round.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #364 on: February 16, 2017, 08:05:05 AM »
One thing that does concern me a bit is that before the transfer window we had 6 strikers. We now have 3, Kodjia, Hogan and a past it Gabby. I thought Kodjia was excellent the other night. God help us if he was to get injured.

Unless he's gone on loan and I've not noticed, we should have RHM available to boost numbers soon, now that he's signed a new contract.  Also, isn't Davis a forward?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #365 on: February 16, 2017, 08:11:12 AM »
Bruce was promoted last season. He can't be that out of touch, so I'm not sure that's valid.

Offline brian green

« Reply #366 on: February 16, 2017, 08:41:57 AM »
Bruce was promoted last year. We were in the Premiership last year.  That was last year.  Leicester won the Premiership last year, this year they are on the brink of the relegation zone.  This year and next year and the year after that are the ones I am concerned about.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #367 on: February 16, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »
Hang on, we have to aspire to be like fucking bournmouth(they'll be down if not this season then next) Swansea, burnley not for me. The premiership isn't all that, and the depth of quality teamwise in the prem is getting lower. if I gave anyone of you 5 choices to pick the winners of the prem league for the next two seasons the vast majority of you would get it right. that says something, if I gave you 5 choices to say who would be bottom next season, I believe the % rate would be lower than your pick for the winners, therefore to me that says there are more less than average teams in the top flight.

to aspire to be like the teams mentioned is an insult and in five years time there will be no bournmouth no Swansea no burnley in the top flight.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #368 on: February 16, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »
When we were relegated a lot of pundits and fans alike said what we needed was a manager and players that had championship experience. I disagreed, what we needed was a good manager. Benitez has no championship experience, yet Newcastle are walking back to the Prem.
I still think Bruce is a good manager and most would agree he bought wisely in January. He has a proven track record of getting clubs promoted, unfortunately the difference is the size and expectation of the Villa which he has struggled to come to terms with. I believe this has been our problem ever since MON left, with the possible exception of Houlier. We need a big ego. At the moment Bruce is the closest we are going to get to that and therefore deserves more time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:54:10 AM by Taylor »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #369 on: February 16, 2017, 08:51:53 AM »
but when do you draw the line? Recent form is a clusterfuck - incidentally, how does he compare to  Lambert for his worst sequence of results?

Offline Taylor

« Reply #370 on: February 16, 2017, 08:56:26 AM »
but when do you draw the line? Recent form is a clusterfuck - incidentally, how does he compare to  Lambert for his worst sequence of results?
The difference is that Lambert never came to terms with the enormity of Villa. And anyway he was given loads more time.

Offline brian green

« Reply #371 on: February 16, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
Read what I write.  I am not saying we should be  Bournemouth, or Swansea or Burnley or Watford or Southampton.  We should observe and learn from what they have done to advance their clubs largely by hard work, discipline and clever use of the money available to them.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #372 on: February 16, 2017, 09:18:46 AM »

Unless he's gone on loan and I've not noticed, we should have RHM available to boost numbers soon, now that he's signed a new contract.  Also, isn't Davis a forward?

RHM has been out injured and Davis although an option is not quite ready but having said that, i'd have brought him on the other night at 3-1 down.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #373 on: February 16, 2017, 09:54:38 AM »
The premiership which is not all that, yet we managed to stink that league out last season and swirled around the plug for the 3 seasons before, as a club with standing within the game recognised as a big club, more for our support, ground and past history,well past,not anything we have done for at least the last 20 years. At this present moment I would be well happy with being an organised Burnley, Bournmouth, a club that has a structure, a plan as to where they are going. Not spending yet again like a first time Brit in a Thai go go bar.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #374 on: February 16, 2017, 10:00:53 AM »
Problem is that we haven't built a team and just keep changing. Bought a load of players in the Summer - lots of leaders and captains and tried to get them to gel, it failed so sacked manager, bought new guy in and slight improvement. Then bring a load of new players in again and back to square one. The problems started in the Summer and have been compounded by January. Yes we have a collection of decent players but we don't have a team. Also have too many captains which = egos in the dressing room + they are overpaid in this division no doubt.
Is the problem Bruce or is Steve Round calling the shots?

The one baffling area is the goalkeeper - you need an experienced keeper to be competitive at this level, who recommended a youngster to replace a youngster.

Also Calderwood, Round or Bruce's call?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal