collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113597 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #330 on: February 15, 2017, 06:49:34 PM »
There's obvious things like results, tactics etc but one of the thing that really worries me is his game management. A few times we've been behind and he's waited far too long to change anything. Last night we conceded the third after 58mins, 10 mins later and the subs were still warming up. That was a 3rd of the time we had left to try and salvage something wasted. By the time the first subs had come on 15 mins had passed.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #331 on: February 15, 2017, 06:55:46 PM »
John, my apologies for my comments to you last night. They were unnecessary and over the top.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #332 on: February 15, 2017, 06:58:27 PM »
There's obvious things like results, tactics etc but one of the thing that really worries me is his game management. A few times we've been behind and he's waited far too long to change anything. Last night we conceded the third after 58mins, 10 mins later and the subs were still warming up. That was a 3rd of the time we had left to try and salvage something wasted. By the time the first subs had come on 15 mins had passed.
Agreed, PWS.
I wrote on the other SB thread this morning that Bruce has not worked out the way in which this group of players can be most effectively deployed: how can each of these players be best utilised such that they can do what they do best?
For example, since neither Hogan nor Kodjia are strong in the air - particularly in this division where all the CB seem to be giants - the wingers / fullbacks should be encouraged to play low hard crosses into the 'zone of uncertainty'. Or, we shouldn't try and play wingers, instead pushing passes through the channels for Hogan to use his speed and Kodjia to use his body-strength.
I don't see the tactics; I don't sense the chosen game-strategies; I don't feel that there is good game-management.
I think we have some good players and a decent squad; it ain't being maximised by the current coaching staff.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #333 on: February 15, 2017, 07:08:15 PM »
I'm inclined to stick with Bruce for the time being however if we lose the next three he'll be heading down untenable street.

I still believe that fundamental to the failings this season is that the squad aren't physically fit enough to deal with this league but the amount of players he signed in January should have helped with that as we signed players who Bjarnasson aside should have been 'up to speed'.  Part of next summer has to be a regime to get them in shape, none of this poncing around with personal trainers but working as a squad to get fit and be unified enough that lack of desire such as that shown by Amavi for the 2nd last night is a thing of the past.

Problems obviously still run deep but it is quite correct that we don't just blindly follow Bruce, he has to show progress over these remaining games, can't be flip flopping systems and personnel, he needs to find a team, a system and a positive mentality or come the summer there will be lots of interesting discussions around season tkt renewals etc!

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #334 on: February 15, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »
He should have a chat with Sir Brian Little about tactics, etc.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #335 on: February 15, 2017, 07:44:30 PM »
I don't want him sacked.  As we are as mad as mongooses as a club.  However if he was to leave there's only one bloke that would get us out of this hole and I don't even want to mention to tossers name on here.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #336 on: February 15, 2017, 07:50:56 PM »
Steve Bruce has a track record, but the problem is he's yesterdays man. His time has PASSED !!!

....https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

Content ring any bells ?   "I don't do tactics"   ?????????????    :o >:(

You know that realisation scene at the end of The Usual Suspects  !!!!!!!
Change the players names and it could have been written about us since Christmas

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #337 on: February 15, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »
He can't be that much of a yesterday's man, his most recent promotion was only last May.

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #338 on: February 15, 2017, 07:59:48 PM »
Have a word with Brian Little and he'll probably recall how incredibly difficult he found the part season that he took over from big Ron. Just avoid relegation. I'm pretty certain the majority on this forum had it been around with have wanted his blood. What a complete difference the season after when he had a dull pre season, changed the way the team played and made a few key additions

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #339 on: February 15, 2017, 08:02:30 PM »
Steve Bruce has a track record, but the problem is he's yesterdays man. His time has PASSED !!!

....https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

You know that realisation scene at the end of The Usual Suspects  !!!!!!!
Change the players names and it could have been written about us since Christmas

Not just the player names..

In recent months Alan Pardew, Mark Hughes, Roy Hodgson Neil Warnock, Simon Grayson, Gary Brazil, Paul Lambert, Dean Smith, Mick McCarthy and, most recently, Roberto Martínez Paul Bloody Heckingbottom have all seemingly out-thought him as Sunderland Aston Villa dropped points against supposedly weaker sides they really should have beaten.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #340 on: February 15, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »
Has anyone tried pissing in all four corners of the pitch?

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #341 on: February 15, 2017, 08:06:15 PM »
Has anyone tried pissing in all four corners of the pitch?
Not required.

Barnsley pissed all over us last night.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #342 on: February 15, 2017, 08:24:20 PM »
Have a word with Brian Little and he'll probably recall how incredibly difficult he found the part season that he took over from big Ron. Just avoid relegation. I'm pretty certain the majority on this forum had it been around with have wanted his blood. What a complete difference the season after when he had a dull pre season, changed the way the team played and made a few key additions

Much like Brian's start, a decent start was soon followed by the form falling off the cliff.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #343 on: February 15, 2017, 08:48:55 PM »

Jesus, scary stuff.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #344 on: February 15, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »

Jesus, scary stuff.

Change the name of some of the players and that piece could easily have been written last night.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal