collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Gareth
[Today at 08:33:33 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113803 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #315 on: February 15, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »
Let's not turn this into another MON debate please.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #316 on: February 15, 2017, 05:50:04 PM »
Just for a second try taking a step backwards. Pretend that you are not a Villa FA and imagine you are neutral observer. What would your opinion be of a club who having been relegated gave a new manager significant funds in the summer only to sack him after a third of the season and then after giving his replacement further significant funds their fans were calling for his head 3 games later?

I was as frustrated as everyone else coming out of the ground last night but we have to keep our nerve, tough it out until the end of the season and then take stock.
This should be the case. Bruce needs to get the club to the end of the season still in this division and regroup in the summer. I think it was always going to be very difficult to challenge for promotion this season from the state the club were in last May. If Bruce has not got it together by November or December then is probably time to consider another change.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #317 on: February 15, 2017, 05:50:44 PM »
Editing cock up.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:52:56 PM by Chris Smith »

Offline russon

« Reply #318 on: February 15, 2017, 05:53:16 PM »
Let's not turn this into another MON debate please.

Boooooooo! Can't beat a good scrap between miffed Villains either side of the MON debate.

[/youtube]

Offline trevor fisher

« Reply #319 on: February 15, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »
the poll on this site on bruce out is currently 72 yes, 105 no, 74 depends on the next 3 games. I voted for the latter. However while dropping into the bottom three would be terminal, the big issue is why the club is in free fall for so many years. Everything changes. But stays rubbish.

Sherwood says the club has a defeat mentality. changing the manager will not change that. Its now obvious the club is spending money badly, appointing managers badly, and has a board that does not have a clue.

Which is what we could say under Lerner. What is the reason its so bad so long with so much effort going wrong?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #320 on: February 15, 2017, 06:01:04 PM »
Just for a second try taking a step backwards. Pretend that you are not a Villa FA and imagine you are neutral observer. What would your opinion be of a club who having been relegated gave a new manager significant funds in the summer only to sack him after a third of the season and then after giving his replacement further significant funds their fans were calling for his head 3 games later?

I was as frustrated as everyone else coming out of the ground last night but we have to keep our nerve, tough it out until the end of the season and then take stock.

I agree with have to stick with Bruce until the end of the season and then seriously evaluate his position.  I still have enough faith in Bruce not to get us relegated. It would be madness to try and find a new manager now from such a tiny pool when we're looking for somebody to quickly and solidly get us promoted next season. The summer is the ONLY time should we so wish.

As for what a neutral observer may think, I'd imagine they're wondering how the hell we've spent so much money building one of the best squads in the Championship and yet we look really poor and getting worse by the game. As for the manager changes, I'd understand getting rid of RDM but shocked at just how crap Steve Bruce is turning out to be. Obviously, I wouldn't expect free flowing football but I would have expected his team to put in a shift and with the talent he has available, be up there challenging for the play offs at least.

I imagine a lot of managers are thinking the same which can only be a good thing should we need to replace him. Football really isn't that complicated once you get the basics right.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #321 on: February 15, 2017, 06:03:54 PM »

This should be the case. Bruce needs to get the club to the end of the season still in this division and regroup in the summer. I think it was always going to be very difficult to challenge for promotion this season from the state the club were in last May. If Bruce has not got it together by November or December then is probably time to consider another change.

And how many decent managers will be available in November or December should we decide to replace him?

Offline KRS

« Reply #322 on: February 15, 2017, 06:04:05 PM »
As things stand, Bruce and his not so very merry men are unlikely to pick up anymore than the 3pts against Rotherham in our next 5 games. For those saying to give him another 3 or so games, this would simply delay the inevitable and Bruce would have a Villa managerial record as follows:

PLD: 26
W:8
L: 13
D: 5
PTS: 29/78

I'm all for stability but it appears those banging the stability drum are more than happy to settle for shit results for the sake of stability regardless of the consequences. If Bruce isn't capable of doing the Villa job then he shouldn't remain in the job. Its as simple as that really.

I don't care if sacking another manager makes us appear to be a laughing stock with the nations media or other fans...all I care about is this club and team being managed correctly by the correct people. We're a laughing stock already and if results under Bruce continue on the downward spiral taking us further to the relegation spots then the sound of laughter will only get louder anyway.

I wasn't happy with Bruce being appointed but I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt as he appeared to be the best of a bad bunch that was available at the time. Unfortunately performances and results clearly show that the Villa job is too big for him, and he's quickly running out of excuses and clasping at straws with formations and tactics as there is no clear plan to get this team playing as a team.

Relegation is a possibility but unlikely, however I have absolutely no confidence in Bruce avoiding relegation this season by his own managerial merit and it is likely to be due to the fact that there are worse teams in this league.

Personally I would prefer we got shot of him now but unless there is someone available with experience of managing a big club, and all the pressure and expectations that come along with it, then we may as well give him until the end of the season.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:05:39 PM by KRS »

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #323 on: February 15, 2017, 06:04:46 PM »
Bruce has brought this situation upon himself - he made a solid, if unspectacular start to life at VP and had us winning games without looking too convincing. He decided, and I am assuming it was he, to make wholesale changes to the playing squad in the January transfer window. This has had the net effect of seeing us move from a mid table team with aspirations of the play offs to a team just outside the relegation zone and fearing the drop into Division One.

Replacing an inexperienced error prone goalkeeper with another one, leaving us with Gabby as our only fit striker for large parts of January, no playing style, formations that change game by game, no Plan A never mind a Plan B - all of these are down to Bruce

I am all for giving him a chance but at what point do we cut our losses - we are getting worse with every game and all we hear from Bruce is the same old flannel about rolling our sleeves up and showing them what we have got.

Not a lot would be my view based on the last 6 or 7 performances

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #324 on: February 15, 2017, 06:23:23 PM »
There was no need to start fucking around with 5-3-2 against Forest, then continue the idiocy against Ipswich, then replace it with something completely different against Barnsley.

If you brought the players with 4-4-2 in mind then play 4 - 4 fucking 2 and stop doubting yourself you big tit because all this flip flopping around has seen the results spiral some more and leave almost everyone to a man doubting his sanity.

Offline MAV

« Reply #325 on: February 15, 2017, 06:25:56 PM »
Steve Bruce has a track record, but the problem is he's yesterdays man. His time has PASSED !!!

....https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

Content ring any bells ?   "I don't do tactics"   ?????????????    :o >:(

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #326 on: February 15, 2017, 06:31:12 PM »
Well whatever he does do he better do it sharpish because lose the next two games and it's almost 10 on the trot and fucking ridiculous and he'd simply have to go.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #327 on: February 15, 2017, 06:35:33 PM »
Steve Bruce has a track record, but the problem is he's yesterdays man. His time has PASSED !!!

....https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

Arguably one of the principal reasons Bruce is no longer in charge at the Stadium of Light concerns his apparent inability to tweak formations or tactics during matches. Whenever a rival manager re-configured his system mid-game, Bruce invariably failed to come up with a countermeasure.

In recent months Alan Pardew, Mark Hughes, Roy Hodgson and, most recently, Roberto Martínez have all seemingly out-thought him as Sunderland dropped points against supposedly weaker sides they really should have beaten.

If he failed to cut it as a tactician, the 50-year-old did not seem much of a strategist either. Including loans, 30 players were signed – several of whom have subsequently been moved on – during Bruce's two-and-a-half years on Wearside. That represents an unsettling "churn" factor and hardly proved conducive to developing either a clear playing philosophy or strong team spirit.

Always rather amorphous, if not downright scrappy, Sunderland's high-tempo style lacked creativity, not to mention control, in central midfield. Unable to dictate play, the team frequently failed to press home early advantages.

I can easily seeing us going the way of Sunderland during Bruce's tenure. I really hope not, but some of the points from 2011 seem to be popping up now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:50:14 PM by villadelph »

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #328 on: February 15, 2017, 06:39:58 PM »

Arguably one of the principal reasons Bruce is no longer in charge at the Stadium of Light concerns his apparent inability to tweak formations or tactics during matches. Whenever a rival manager re-configured his system mid-game, Bruce invariably failed to come up with a countermeasure.

In recent months Alan Pardew, Mark Hughes, Roy Hodgson and, most recently, Roberto Martínez have all seemingly out-thought him as Sunderland dropped points against supposedly weaker sides they really should have beaten.

If he failed to cut it as a tactician, the 50-year-old did not seem much of a strategist either. Including loans, 30 players were signed – several of whom have subsequently been moved on – during Bruce's two-and-a-half years on Wearside. That represents an unsettling "churn" factor and hardly proved conducive to developing either a clear playing philosophy or strong team spirit.

Always rather amorphous, if not downright scrappy, Sunderland's high-tempo style lacked creativity, not to mention control, in central midfield. Unable to dictate play, the team frequently failed to press home early advantages.

I can easily seeing us going the way of Sunderland during Bruce's tenure. I really hope not, but some of the points from 2011 seem to be popping up now.
Jeez, hadn't seen that before.
Now I'm really concerned.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #329 on: February 15, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »
I remember reading that last year when he was linked with us and being very worried. The 'comments' do little than support the article and paint an even darker picture. At least he never brought Eric Black with him even if right now it feels like he did.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:46:20 PM by Rudy Can't Fail »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal