collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113778 times)

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #270 on: February 15, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
Asking fans to stop calling for managers to be sacked weeks into the job seems as needlessly redundant as asking an idiot to stop punching himself in the face.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #271 on: February 15, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »
Thing is golloni wanted to leave. I'm sure there were experienced goalkeepers we could have gone for.

Ironically he looked decent on his debut

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #272 on: February 15, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »
No.

We can't keep sacking managers. People saying get rowett in but again few defeat and it'll be sack him.

It's getting ridiculous now

What about the people who aren't saying get Rowett in?  The ones who don't think Bruce can do the job and are willing to look further than the boundaries of the city to find a replacement?  I agree that we can't keep sacking managers but the answer to that isn't to just keep the one we have even if he's performing well below expectations.  I refuse to accept that when RDM was sacked for being 16th after 11 games they accepted that we'd be back in 16th 20 games later and heading in the wrong direction.

More importantly what's really bothering me on this thread and the other Bruce thread is the people who were calling for RDM to be sacked before the Preston game and saying things like 'if he can't get it right now why is he suddenly going to become good' who are now calling for Bruce to be given time, it's that sheer hypocrisy that I can't get my head round.  If our start to the season was so shit that rdm deserved to be sacked then why isn't our start to 2017 so shit (actually much worse so far) that Bruce deserves to be booted if he can't turn it around very very quickly?

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #273 on: February 15, 2017, 02:07:55 PM »
No.

We can't keep sacking managers. People saying get rowett in but again few defeat and it'll be sack him.

It's getting ridiculous now

It certainly is ridiculous, but all managers realise that their continued employment relies on results: and to that end Bruce has been an abject failure here. We all want our manager(s) to succeed in turning the side into one which is competitive and capable of achieving even a modicum of success, but performances under Bruce have become steadily worse since he arrived. The owner has backed him - and indeed his predecessor - to the hilt in the transfer market, but the results have reached a wholly unacceptable new low. Dr X won't have amassed his personal fortune by tolerating people who fail to achieve their objectives, so I'll be very surprised if he doesn't act sooner rather than later at VP. Frankly, Bruce will only have himself to blame if he's handed his P45.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #274 on: February 15, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
Merson talked about buying players who were big fishesand the crowd, etc being overwhelming.  I don't know if I agree about that with the players but I think that's definitely what happens with managers.  They come in all fresh faced and thinking turning it round will be easy enough with the resources they have and can call on but then they realise how big the job is and they feel the tension fro a couple of defeats and they shit themselves because they just don't have the experience to deal with it.  We've employed 2 managers since Doug sold up who had the experience of having managed big teams with big expectations, mon was one and he handled that side well but his tactical limitations stopped us breaking through.  We followed him up with Houllier who had hnadled it before but there were clear warnings that the pressure might be too much for him physically.  Since then we've employed people who've done ok at lower levels (or in short stints at big clubs) but who have no idea how to handle the pressure of managing a big club with big expectations through a tough period.

We need someone who has managed in the right environment even if they were in an easier league and preferably has 4-5 years experience at a high-pressure club.  Finding the right person and convincing them to come to us is going to be difficult but it's the right way to approach this and is what we should've done last summer.

Already on here people are falling into the same traps that have fucked us over the last few times, Rowett is mentioned because he did an ok job at the shitbox down the road, Smith is mentioned because they looked good against us and he's a villa fan, neither of those is what we need. 

This mirrors my thoughts...if we replace Bruce, we need a manager with significant experience at clubs with the same, or higher, expectation levels as Villa. Someone with a bit of swagger and genuine self-belief. Bruce himself admits that this is the biggest job of his career, just like almost everyone since Houllier. As unlikely as it is, I would love to see Bielsa come in - though he probably wouldn't last the day after he sees the shitstorm at BMH !

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #275 on: February 15, 2017, 02:16:56 PM »
Thing is golloni wanted to leave. I'm sure there were experienced goalkeepers we could have gone for.

Ironically he looked decent on his debut

Like Mccgregor who is on loan at Cardiff from Hull. Used to be Bruce's number one too. Bizarre how we didn't explore this option

Offline TonyD

« Reply #276 on: February 15, 2017, 02:17:46 PM »
Yes, all these new players will be on big wages.  The Dr might suddenly realise he's bought a vintage car that might never get back on the road no matter how  much money he spends.

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #277 on: February 15, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »
appoint manager - spend shed loads - given him 10 games if no good sack

appoint new manager 10 good games he'll do give him shed loads to spend

10 bad games get the fuck out of our club

The recipe to success as an determined by the supporters of AVFC

Offline TonyD

« Reply #278 on: February 15, 2017, 02:23:08 PM »
It's not the 10 games , it's more the fact that we are getting worse and the manager has no idea what he's doing.

Online Tayls_7

« Reply #279 on: February 15, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »
Yes, all these new players will be on big wages.  The Dr might suddenly realise he's bought a vintage car that might never get back on the road no matter how  much money he spends.

Is it a TR7? My bro had one.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #280 on: February 15, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »
A rusty E Type.

Online Tayls_7

« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2017, 02:43:28 PM »
A rusty E Type.

We're not that classy.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2017, 03:04:21 PM »
A Trabant...at the moment

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »
appoint manager - spend shed loads - given him 10 games if no good sack

appoint new manager 10 good games he'll do give him shed loads to spend

10 bad games get the fuck out of our club

The recipe to success as an determined by the supporters of AVFC

You said something similar further up the page, so I'll ask you. For what reasons would you keep Bruce? Not having a pop, just your two posts stood out. My view is he should have more (but not unlimited) time.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »
A Triumph Dolomite Shunnamite ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal