collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2115018 times)

Offline TonyD

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #210 on: February 15, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »
I think football moves at a fast pace and Bruce could simply be yesterday's man.   

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »
Yes, changing the manager 3 times a season has worked out so well for us the last 3 years. Its time for us to show some class, pull together and get behind the manager no matter what for the rest of the season. When it turns it will be all the more sweeter.

I understand the frustration but I agree with this. Sooner or later, we need to stick with something. We've been through too many managers of late and other than Pardew, there's not a fat lot out there.

Clampy, please, not another failed manager.

Before Bruce I preferred a young up and coming manager than a dinosaur and heaven forbid yet another ex-Blues manager, but Rowett is out there and available. Barnsley's guy seems to also be miles in front of Bruce in appreciating what a team needs to do during a game based on last night's debacle

Reading found Stam, Huddersfield found Wagner,  Clement seems to be doing ok at Swansea after they realised the previous two bosses weren't up to it. 

Is Clement having the new manager bounce at Swansea like some do though? It's early days there. He didn't seem to do very well at Derby.

Yeah, sacked when they were fifth in the league. Clearly deserved to be booted out.

Not like 16th placed Steve Bruce, who we should keep faith with for some reason.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2017, 10:50:20 AM »
If we have to make a change I'd go for Carlos Carvahal if Sheff Weds don't come up.

Thought he did a very impressive job last season, probably underachieved a bit this season considering their squad but they'll still finish top 6.

Something tells me he'd be a good fit here so he'd be my first choice if we have to make a new appointment.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2017, 10:52:07 AM »
Can't be arsed waiting for Summer. Get the new bloke in after the Newcastle defeat, give him time to work with the players and a full preseason then press on for promotion next year.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
A truly bizarre thread. We don't need a managerial change in response to years of managerial change
I agree we need to stop sacking managers by not appointing muppets in the first place. Nothing bizarre about this thread.

Offline alan_clarke

« Reply #215 on: February 15, 2017, 10:58:59 AM »
We are not going up.  We (probably) are not going down.  Lets give Bruce a free hit this season and give him a summer.  We need stability.  A new manager would not do anything for us this season now anyway and the grim reality is we will not get a better manager then Bruce anyway.

This for me

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #216 on: February 15, 2017, 11:00:01 AM »
You can't really compare us to Reading, Huddersfield etc. and their managerial appointments. With respect to most of the other clubs in this division the pressure here is completely different on every level. It's not just the fanbase but the media as well, you will be expected to perform in every game and it will be highlighted immediately if you don't, and not all players can cope with that.

If someone has a crap game for Barnsley nobody outside of Barnsley really cares, whereas at Villa you'll get all of us, journalists and even fans of other clubs giving you grief for it, bringing up how much you cost, how much money you are on etc.

If anything, rather than a new owner/manager/coach/player we need a top sports psychologist, and time. Booting people out whenever they go on a bad run clearly hasn't worked before, so why should it now?

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #217 on: February 15, 2017, 11:00:22 AM »
Yes, changing the manager 3 times a season has worked out so well for us the last 3 years. Its time for us to show some class, pull together and get behind the manager no matter what for the rest of the season. When it turns it will be all the more sweeter.

Continually changing managers certainly hasn't worked for us. However, unlike the previous clusterfuck of Lerner's ownership, Dr X has backed his (2) managers to the hilt. Neither Bruce or RDM can have any complaint about the resources they have/had at their disposal, yet they have failed even more dismally - in a lower division - than their hapless predecessors. There's no way that our owner will accept back-to-back relegations; and the option of sticking with Bruce with the fading hope that everything will come good will surely not be a choice he will entertain. He needs to be quick to make the call though - as the death-slide to Palookaville is now in full swing. If I were the big cheese at VP, I'd get Rowett in to instill some much needed organisation and fight into our shambolic bunch of under-performing millionaires, but it has to happen whilst there's still time to turn this shit around. Tick-tock...

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #218 on: February 15, 2017, 11:00:31 AM »
I think football moves at a fast pace and Bruce could simply be yesterday's man.   
Yes totally agree. He should be placed in the same box as Allardyce, Moyse, Pardew etc etc.all washed out.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »
A truly bizarre thread. We don't need a managerial change in response to years of managerial change

It's hardly that bizarre to be discussing the future of a manager who has the largest budget in the league and has drawn two and lost seven of his last nine games.

I'm not really interested in keeping a failed manager just for the sake of not changing.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2017, 11:05:27 AM »
Looking at the fixtures if things don't change we are heading for Division Three.  I don't think things will
change. 

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #221 on: February 15, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
I think the critical deciding factor will be how Dr Xia will react to the current run of defeats. He will be advised, no doubt, by He Who Walks on Water, Wyness and Steve Round. I profess to not knowing the Chinese business culture but Dr Xia does seem to have a ruthless streak in him and is not afraid to make decisions. As it is now he would not be blamed if he reflected that after the money spent over the last 6 months the team has not moved forward one jot (we were 16th when RDM was sacked). As with many posters here I just do not see anything differently tactically, no change in motivation and leadership, no inspiration combined with a lack of perspiration. Already new players appear to have lost confidence in their own ability which is the most worrying of all- if they are going into matches believing they are going to lose, guess what happens. 

Offline TonyD

« Reply #222 on: February 15, 2017, 11:09:20 AM »
It's not just the last few games.  Before the new year we fluked quite a few points.  The only full game we played well was Brighton.

Offline cdward

« Reply #223 on: February 15, 2017, 11:09:39 AM »
His crap team selections, tactics and substitutions in 2017 have got us in this mess.  He is entirely culpable.  So yes he should be sacked.
I wonder are the Leicester City fans saying the same?

As a club everything is now in place for us to start winning again. Bruce has been backed by the chairman and the board, and he has to get it right.
This season is a write off, so assuming we wont go down, (because although we are bad, we aren't that bad)  that means he has about 6 to 10 games at the start of next season to get it right, with both results and performances. That brings us up to October, that will be 12 months for Bruce. That is more than enough patience.
I am not interested in sound bites, excuses, post match analysis, injuries, gate gate, not signing new contracts, big club v little club debates, hunger, passion, they wanted it, mistakes, lessons learning etc, Steve Bruce you're the manager, manage.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #224 on: February 15, 2017, 11:11:15 AM »
The club and a hell of a lot of the supporters have approached this season with all the arrogance of someone in an expensive car thinking they own the fucking road.
We're getting exactly what we deserve.

Hopefully next season we'll show this division a lot more respect, and earn a bit ourselves.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal