collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:32:23 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Paul.S
[Today at 06:29:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113674 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2017, 09:48:40 AM »
I think we ought to start a thread on how many changes he will make for the next game at Newcastle - my guess is 4

I certainly think he'll be spinning the 'wheel of formation' again and for each game from now on. He'll probably then just pull the players names out of a hat.

Offline Boz

« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2017, 09:50:05 AM »
I'm sick of his post match interview comments. They're just an extension of "we go again".

Bruce is asking for time, it's tough, the players have to get back to basics etc. etc.....

The only thing he's accurate about is Villa is the biggest club he's (mis) managed and it seems it's too big for his capabilities. It seems unlikely we won't be in the bottom three or four during March and facing an uphill struggle to survive.

Is he manoeuvring for the sack and a pay-off???

Offline Boz

« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »
Yes, changing the manager 3 times a season has worked out so well for us the last 3 years. Its time for us to show some class, pull together and get behind the manager no matter what for the rest of the season. When it turns it will be all the more sweeter.

I understand the frustration but I agree with this. Sooner or later, we need to stick with something. We've been through too many managers of late and other than Pardew, there's not a fat lot out there.

Clampy, please, not another failed manager.

Before Bruce I preferred a young up and coming manager than a dinosaur and heaven forbid yet another ex-Blues manager, but Rowett is out there and available. Barnsley's guy seems to also be miles in front of Bruce in appreciating what a team needs to do during a game based on last night's debacle

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »
New owner, new managers, new coaching staff, new players, and still shit.

We've been getting beaten by lower league opposition for years in the cups with so-called superior, more expensive players. Nothing changes.

We are not too big to be beaten by them. We deserve it. We deserve to be in the league we are in. We deserve to be beaten by so-called smaller clubs. And we'll deserve another relegation if our attitude doesn't change.

Aston Villa and all the baggage that goes with it is a millstone around managers' and players' necks. If we can't behave like a big club where it matters - and we really can't - then we need to start behaving like a smaller one in terms of discipline, commitment and determination. We need to match other clubs' burning desire to give us a bloody nose.

Our arrogance and sense of entitlement, our soft and comfortable culture, our sack 'em all and buy new ones mentality, our "we're better than this" attitude, it's strangling the life out of us.

So that's a no to sacking Bruce now. He wasn't the problem at Villa at the start of this season, or the end of last. He isn't the problem now.

Well said.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2017, 10:09:14 AM »
If he's being measured by the same yardstick as RDM then he must be on borrowed time.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2017, 10:15:19 AM »
New owner, new managers, new coaching staff, new players, and still shit.

We've been getting beaten by lower league opposition for years in the cups with so-called superior, more expensive players. Nothing changes.

We are not too big to be beaten by them. We deserve it. We deserve to be in the league we are in. We deserve to be beaten by so-called smaller clubs. And we'll deserve another relegation if our attitude doesn't change.

Aston Villa and all the baggage that goes with it is a millstone around managers' and players' necks. If we can't behave like a big club where it matters - and we really can't - then we need to start behaving like a smaller one in terms of discipline, commitment and determination. We need to match other clubs' burning desire to give us a bloody nose.

Our arrogance and sense of entitlement, our soft and comfortable culture, our sack 'em all and buy new ones mentality, our "we're better than this" attitude, it's strangling the life out of us.

So that's a no to sacking Bruce now. He wasn't the problem at Villa at the start of this season, or the end of last. He isn't the problem now.

Well said.

My mind might be playing tricks on me, but I don't recall similarly impassioned pieces on why we should have kept Di Matteo, and all the same points apply to him as well.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »
How can we be in this position? It defies all logical analysis.
Maybe Bruce is just the puppet and the Doctor picks the team ?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2017, 10:22:48 AM »
Yes, changing the manager 3 times a season has worked out so well for us the last 3 years. Its time for us to show some class, pull together and get behind the manager no matter what for the rest of the season. When it turns it will be all the more sweeter.

I understand the frustration but I agree with this. Sooner or later, we need to stick with something. We've been through too many managers of late and other than Pardew, there's not a fat lot out there.

Before Bruce I preferred a young up and coming manager than a dinosaur and heaven forbid yet another ex-Blues manager, but Rowett is out there and available. Barnsley's guy seems to also be miles in front of Bruce in appreciating what a team needs to do during a game based on last night's debacle

Reading found Stam, Huddersfield found Wagner,  Clement seems to be doing ok at Swansea after they realised the previous two bosses weren't up to it.  Consistency and backing the manager is all very well if there are signs that he he is heading in the right direction,  has a plan, and seems to know what he is doing.   Bruce has displayed very little of that since his first few matches, and even then some of this results were on the fortunate side.    Hard to say whether that's down to him or whether there is just some inherent sub-culture at VP that undermines every manager that comes in.   But can you imagine other big clubs sticking with their manager after such a run of results?  Spurs?  Liverpool? They would be utterly ruthless, write it off and start again.    On the face of it Bruce looked just about the safest horse you could back.  Unfortunately an actual horse could have done a better job. 

Offline TonyD

« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2017, 10:26:51 AM »
His crap team selections, tactics and substitutions in 2017 have got us in this mess.  He is entirely culpable.  So yes he should be sacked.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2017, 10:29:26 AM »
To me it's all about mentality rather than tactics.

Even at this level whenever we go behind in a game we pretty much lose.

Look at Reading and Huddersfield losing 2-1 and turning those into 3-2 wins....those two have done that loads of times this season hence why both are 20 + points ahead of us which is a joke when you look at the squads.

Too many of our supposed good players lose the hunger and drive that made them key players in other teams...Hourihane getting 3-4 times his weekly wage at Barnsley for example.

It's not just us...look at Leicester giving new contracts to key players and they've fallen off the cliff this year and could be keeping us company next season.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2017, 10:31:06 AM »
As the option says, give him 3 games. If we lose these games I don't know how anyone could say give him more time.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2017, 10:35:02 AM »

Reading found Stam, Huddersfield found Wagner,  Clement seems to be doing ok at Swansea after they realised the previous two bosses weren't up to it. 

Is Clement having the new manager bounce at Swansea like some do though? It's early days there. He didn't seem to do very well at Derby. Stam and Wagner are having good season's though. You could also argue Norwich stuck with Alex Neil when they went down and had their bad run earlier in the season when in both cases they could have kicked his arse out the door and they're just 4 points off the play off's still.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2017, 10:36:41 AM »
We are not going up.  We (probably) are not going down.  Lets give Bruce a free hit this season and give him a summer.  We need stability.  A new manager would not do anything for us this season now anyway and the grim reality is we will not get a better manager then Bruce anyway.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #208 on: February 15, 2017, 10:37:01 AM »
I don't doubt that there is an attitude problem at Villa Park.

A decent manager, however, would be able to sort that out.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2017, 10:38:12 AM »
I honestly thought Bruce would sort things out, he may well given time but if we were to get rid of him the owner is likely to canvass the opinions of people with access to a computer, the internet and Twitter and choose from Rowett, Pearson, Pardew or Warburton. From the little I saw of Blues under Rowett he will grind out a few results but there won't be any exciting football to watch. Always got the feeling he's a bit Paul Lambert.

Our transfer policy seems to consist of looking to see who has scored the most goals or assists in the Championship and throw money at them without thinking how to play to their strengths or where to put them in the team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal