collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113265 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2017, 07:47:44 AM »
Against all logic Steve Bruce has not solved ANY of the problems created by Houllier/McLeish/Lambert/Sherwood/Garde/KMac/Black and RDM - he has added a whole new layer of his own inhibitions.

Take just one example.  How badly we start second halves.  What does he do in the dressing room?  Does he rage at them and make them mardy or does he use his nice soft media voice and make them feel warm, loved, serial losers?
Every other club knows our soft underbellies of the first ten minutes of the second half and the last ten minutes of the game and go for us while we are in panic mode.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:49:17 AM by brian green »

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2017, 07:48:17 AM »
When you're in division 2 and closer to the relegation zone than you are to 11th then you have to be worried as a manager of Aston Villa.

Goddamn right. We do not belong in this league. We are better than this. Yes thats arrogant but its also true.

I'm sorry but that is arrogant. We patently do belong in this league.

1 point in 2017. We should be in league 1

Well no, we're not even in the bottom 3. Let's not get carried away.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2017, 07:53:30 AM »
I like Donna but I always wonder if the collar and cuffs match

Definitely floorboards for her

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
When you're in division 2 and closer to the relegation zone than you are to 11th then you have to be worried as a manager of Aston Villa.

Goddamn right. We do not belong in this league. We are better than this. Yes thats arrogant but its also true.

I'm sorry but that is arrogant. We patently do belong in this league.

1 point in 2017. We should be in league 1

Well no, we're not even in the bottom 3. Let's not get carried away.

Our fate is in our own hands, weve got to go to wigan, blackburn, rotherham and burton

fuck me how depressing

Online sid1964

« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2017, 07:59:39 AM »
The managers of those clubs will be relishing playing us, they will all think beat the Villa and we will drag them further into the relegation mire

Online simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2017, 08:00:33 AM »
There are lies, damned lies and statistics

Last two games Villa have had 44 shots - 1 goal

Yet the style of football is "shit".

The opposition have had 9 shots and scored 4 times.

I thought Bruce looked down and out at the post match interview. I have to say that I still have faith in him long term but do think we need a formation to suit our weakest players and one they can all stick to. We also clearly need yet another new keeper but that's for the end of season.

I don't see the point in lumping out large amounts on players half way through a season for someone else to come in and change it all again after four or five games. Change for change sake doesn't work very well at the best of times, in times of crisis not at all

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2017, 08:14:55 AM »
Definitely not at this moment can't see it helping our battle to stay in the division.  Medium to long term not sure. A lot of hard thinking needs to happen in the summer and proper plans put into place

This mess is much more than one individual manager

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2017, 08:16:28 AM »
Yes, changing the manager 3 times a season has worked out so well for us the last 3 years. Its time for us to show some class, pull together and get behind the manager no matter what for the rest of the season. When it turns it will be all the more sweeter.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2017, 08:22:47 AM »
What is the criteria for calling in an emergency goalkeeper on loan?  It used to be if the main two were injured IIRC.

Would have no qualms with Johnstone and Bunn getting the Escape to Victory treatment. 

We don't need a great keeper, but we do need one with a degree of confidence. Remember Fergiescum talking about Les Sealey a while back and his decision to opt for him over Jim Leighton in the 1990 FA Cup final (a decision that might have saved his job).

Beetroot features said Sealey wasn't a better keeper than Leighton, but in his own mind thought he was -and that's half the battle.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »
Yes, changing the manager 3 times a season has worked out so well for us the last 3 years. Its time for us to show some class, pull together and get behind the manager no matter what for the rest of the season. When it turns it will be all the more sweeter.

I understand the frustration but I agree with this. Sooner or later, we need to stick with something. We've been through too many managers of late and other than Pardew, there's not a fat lot out there.

Offline St AustellAVFC

« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »
Enough is enough, get rid and do it this morning. However, I have no idea who to suggest as replacing him.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #176 on: February 15, 2017, 08:39:34 AM »
New owner, new managers, new coaching staff, new players, and still shit.

We've been getting beaten by lower league opposition for years in the cups with so-called superior, more expensive players. Nothing changes.

We are not too big to be beaten by them. We deserve it. We deserve to be in the league we are in. We deserve to be beaten by so-called smaller clubs. And we'll deserve another relegation if our attitude doesn't change.

Aston Villa and all the baggage that goes with it is a millstone around managers' and players' necks. If we can't behave like a big club where it matters - and we really can't - then we need to start behaving like a smaller one in terms of discipline, commitment and determination. We need to match other clubs' burning desire to give us a bloody nose.

Our arrogance and sense of entitlement, our soft and comfortable culture, our sack 'em all and buy new ones mentality, our "we're better than this" attitude, it's strangling the life out of us.

So that's a no to sacking Bruce now. He wasn't the problem at Villa at the start of this season, or the end of last. He isn't the problem now.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2017, 08:40:07 AM »
We got a manager who is expert in promotion but usually gets relegated afterwards.

Trust us to skip the promotion.

Small Heath haven't won a game in six years but they're still four points clear of us.

I'd wait until after the Newcastle defeat and then get rid.

We sacked a manager because he always draws, and replace him with a bloke who can't even do that.

Short of burning the stadium down, I'm struggling to see how any new manager could do worse.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2017, 08:40:44 AM »
Oh, and no to Pearson. He's a ******.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »
New owner, new managers, new coaching staff, new players, and still shit.
This is what makes me think there's more to it than Bruce.

What have this season and last got in common (other than a shedload of losses)?

Why is Bruce giving off the image of suddenly being a shit manager?

I wonder what the new signings are making of things? Do they think they've walked into a basketcase, or do they feel they've arrived and don't have to do it anymore?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal