collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113689 times)

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7875 on: November 08, 2017, 10:54:51 PM »
We’ve seen home wins, we’ve seen away wins, we’ve seen team spirit and battling performances, we’ve seen the fans back on side.  So has he stopped the slide, the rot?  I’d say yes.  Would Koeman or another manager?  Who knows?
It absolutely needs to get better, much better, but we now have a feeling of stability.
I don’t know if we’ll go up or not, but I do feel he has done a job that may have been too big and too difficult for other less experienced managers.

Are the slide and the rot the same thing?  I'd say not, the slide down to here was a consequence and, like the short-term appointment he is, Bruce has sort of addressed it (but until we're top 2 not fully) but we've seen nothing to suggest what he's doing has addressed the long-term problems of poor scouting/transfers, a style that lives and dies in the managers office and a failure to adapt to a modern approach to the game.

We have no idea whether a different style of manager would've done better or worse and we have no idea whether the 'stability' that you believe he's provided is real but given it's been built around a lot of players who are closing in on retirement I suspect it's just set us up for another 'transition' next summer (or the one after at best).

So RDM never happened then?

You'll have to clarify how you've got to there because that has literally fuck all to do with anything I wrote.  Unless you're trying to suggest that RDM is the only other style of manager we could've picked and him failing means any manager other than Bruce would've failed as well.  For most people on this forum I wouldn't even imagine they could think that but you have history of making ridiculous claims so I guess it's possible.

You said we have no idea whether a different style of manager would have done better or worse.

RDM is a different style if manager and he didn't work so you are the one talking rubbish and clearly but you keep telling yourself that it's other people that are making ridiculous claims.

Hopefully it'll be a good few games until you get all excited about Villa losing and how you can claim Bruce is rubbish and he needs to be sacked again.

Imagine being a Villa fan and only enjoying when Villa lose.... Oh wait you don't need to imagine that do you.
I’m getting sick of the suggestion that because fans don’t like Bruce then we enjoy villa getting beaten. I’ve supported us and cheered villa wins under every manager from Docherty to this current dinosaur whether I liked the manager or not. Nobody will convince me that Bruce is the right man for us and I think we’ve blown a chance to rebuild properly when we hired him. But I love the villa and I’ll never celebrate a defeat even if it means goodbye to Bruce

well said Alan

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #7876 on: November 09, 2017, 11:29:14 AM »
If someone doesn't like a manager, the managers doing shite, they're one loss away from the boot and that someone thinks the rest of the season will be better with a new manager then it's perfectly understandable if that person thinks that a deafeat would be for the best or the greater good. It's because that person is desperate to see an upturn in fortunes over the longer period. I don't personally feel like that with Bruce at this point but it could come down to it.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #7877 on: November 09, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »
Bruce will never win 7 in 8 with us.

Draw 7 in 8? Maybe. But win? No way.

We won 5 out of 6 recently so why not?

When?

Derby- WIN
Bristol City- WIN
Rotherham- WIN
Huddersfield- LOSS
Sheff Weds- WIN
Wigan- WIN
Norwich- WIN
QPR- WIN

7 wins in 8 I believe.

Rotherham probably won't count as they went down or something.

Nope. He's talking about "last month" - not last season.

"Bruce will never win 7 out of 8".

He has done. You're wrong. Don't be an arse.

You're right, of course. It must have slipped my mind, what with the awful runs before and after.

I'll rephrase it.

I can not see Bruce getting 7 out of 8 wins again. He's setting us up way to conservative at the moment. It will only get worse now Terry is out (get as many defensive midfielders in to compensate), and a ready made excuse for Tony and the fans should we 'just miss out' on promotion.

Anyone want to bet we don't get 7 wins from 8 again this season, with the money going to Acorns?

I would be happy for Bruce to prove me wrong, and money would go to a good cause dither way. 👍

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7878 on: November 09, 2017, 03:00:58 PM »
I don't agree with you, I think he might get 7 wins out of 8, my issue is that I think he's just as likely to get 1 win out of 8 and, in truth, those 2 runs will probably come one after the other, 1 causing posters like Ads and Clampy to tell us that we just needed to have the same patience as them and the other causing posters like me to lament us not getting rid of him in the summer.

Either way we'll be around the play off places at the end of the season, we won't make top 3-4 because of the inconsistency but we stand every chance of 5-6th but could easily miss out by a point or 2 as well and that will mean nothing of this discussion will get resolved, we'll always be close enough to the play offs for him to be safe but things will be uncertain enough for this thread to stay alive.  It's exactly what I predicted in the summer and it's turning out exactly as I expected.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #7879 on: November 09, 2017, 04:08:31 PM »
If someone doesn't like a manager, the managers doing shite, they're one loss away from the boot and that someone thinks the rest of the season will be better with a new manager then it's perfectly understandable if that person thinks that a deafeat would be for the best or the greater good. It's because that person is desperate to see an upturn in fortunes over the longer period. I don't personally feel like that with Bruce at this point but it could come down to it.
I see the logic there but football isn’t logical. Even if defeat resulted in Bruce’s sacking I wouldn’t welcome the defeat only the sacking

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #7880 on: November 09, 2017, 05:05:14 PM »
I don't agree with you, I think he might get 7 wins out of 8, my issue is that I think he's just as likely to get 1 win out of 8 and, in truth, those 2 runs will probably come one after the other, 1 causing posters like Ads and Clampy to tell us that we just needed to have the same patience as them and the other causing posters like me to lament us not getting rid of him in the summer.

Either way we'll be around the play off places at the end of the season, we won't make top 3-4 because of the inconsistency but we stand every chance of 5-6th but could easily miss out by a point or 2 as well and that will mean nothing of this discussion will get resolved, we'll always be close enough to the play offs for him to be safe but things will be uncertain enough for this thread to stay alive.  It's exactly what I predicted in the summer and it's turning out exactly as I expected.

My position too. Well said.

I hope we are wrong.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7881 on: November 09, 2017, 05:05:24 PM »
I'm getting sick of the suggestion that because fans don’t like Bruce then we enjoy villa getting beaten. I’ve supported us and cheered villa wins under every manager from Docherty to this current dinosaur whether I liked the manager or not. Nobody will convince me that Bruce is the right man for us and I think we’ve blown a chance to rebuild properly when we hired him. But I love the villa and I’ll never celebrate a defeat even if it means goodbye to Bruce
Absolutely agree with the sentiment here.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #7882 on: November 09, 2017, 05:21:58 PM »
Me too.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7883 on: November 09, 2017, 06:07:38 PM »
It’s the equivalent of being called a blose.
Every time we win and get a decent performance I just hope it’s the beginning of an epiphany usually to be let down by his thick headed decisions and I don’t do tactics me.
I have no idea why the Bruce advocates see something else, because they never explain thier position and just attack and name call those of us that have the temerity to suggest that with the resources he has we should be doing a lot better.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7884 on: November 09, 2017, 06:35:56 PM »
I have no idea why the Bruce advocates see something else, because they never explain thier position and just attack and name call those of us that have the temerity to suggest that with the resources he has we should be doing a lot better.

Do they see 'something else' or do they just disagree with you? I agree, we should be doing a better but I imagine the 'Bruce Advocates' as you call them are overall satisfied with how it's going so far this season and don't see any reason to make a change. I'm not too sure why that's difficult to understand to be honest.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7885 on: November 09, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »

Do they see 'something else' or do they just disagree with you? I agree, we should be doing a better but I imagine the 'Bruce Advocates' as you call them are overall satisfied with how it's going so far this season and don't see any reason to make a change. I'm not too sure why that's difficult to understand to be honest.
I don’t have a problem with the disagree bit, however it’s not that, it’s the celebrating defeat and all the other shit that gets thrown.
It comes down to what you said, you are satisfied with how it’s going, I won’t be while we are not in the top 2.
What I don’t understand is why you would be satisfied because another season in this league will be devestaing to this club and the lottery of the play offs is too big a gamble in view of what is at stake.
The reality is that you will get your wish and see The destiny of the club in the hands of Steve Bruce.

Online Clampy

« Reply #7886 on: November 09, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »

I don’t have a problem with the disagree bit, however it’s not that, it’s the celebrating defeat and all the other shit that gets thrown.
It comes down to what you said, you are satisfied with how it’s going, I won’t be while we are not in the top 2.
What I don’t understand is why you would be satisfied because another season in this league will be devestaing to this club and the lottery of the play offs is too big a gamble in view of what is at stake.
The reality is that you will get your wish and see The destiny of the club in the hands of Steve Bruce.

I'm satisfied because the season hasn't finished yet. We're 6th, it's not as good as it should or could be but we're up there. It's not good enough for you and that's fine. I'm happy enough with it and that's fine as well. That's all there is to it really.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7887 on: November 09, 2017, 11:02:57 PM »
The celebrating defeat thing probably comes from people who see posters almost revelling in being proven right when we suffer a defeat. Not happy with defeat because that would be crazy (though some say they'd take it if it were to get rid of him).

We've been on a pretty good run and yet one defeat resulted in people suggesting we were failing again and he should go.

In a similar vein, us folks that don't think he should go yet enjoy victories and undefeated runs and want him to be given a chance when it happens.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #7888 on: November 09, 2017, 11:53:52 PM »
The celebrating defeat thing probably comes from people who see posters almost revelling in being proven right when we suffer a defeat. Not happy with defeat because that would be crazy (though some say they'd take it if it were to get rid of him).

We've been on a pretty good run and yet one defeat resulted in people suggesting we were failing again and he should go.

In a similar vein, us folks that don't think he should go yet enjoy victories and undefeated runs and want him to be given a chance when it happens.

And in a similar vein, most of us who think he's a cholesterol-headed has-been-and-in-fact-never-was, tend to keep quiet during the brief good times because who'd want to come on here moaning when, despite the aesthetic ennui, the results are going the way we all want. But then when his sub-agricultural set-up sees all of our well-signposted fears/predictions made flesh, we reserve the right to resume having a pop at him because, well, we're right.

Despite my chronic overuse of the word 'we' above, I don't claim to speak for any other posters.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:59:45 PM by Sexual Ealing »

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #7889 on: November 10, 2017, 01:21:26 AM »
Well you speak for me, SE, and with some panache. Excellently put.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal