collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113215 times)

Offline pbavfckuwait

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #7755 on: November 06, 2017, 07:29:00 AM »
We hear all the time, that the squad we have at Villa Park should be walking this league and then of course the finger goes to Bruce for not getting the best out of it, I do not know if I am the only one, but we may have the numbers and the wage bill that comes with it, but our squad is totally without balance and that is down to Bruce.
Taylor suspended and we end up playing a whole hearted but limited right back there, forwards injured and thankfully we have a kid who cost us next to nothing to come in (Davis), midfield is supplemented by another youngster OHare, as his signing Thor for one, is crap. Now we get an injury to a 36 year old centre half, who to me at least has surpassed anything I thought he might bring and the talk is off Samba ? Elphick ? and god forbid Richards.
The squad he has built for this, probably the most important season in Villa's history to me is just not fit for purpose, please do not say he has not had funds because he has, this mixed with his lack of ability to change a game once in progress, his stubborn attitude in playing certain players at times out of position and certainly at times out of form is a major worry.
If I was the Dr I would have a review at the start to the middle of December and if we are still only hovering around the playoff places, i.e. one loss and we drop out of them, it would be thanks Stevie but here's your P 45.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7756 on: November 06, 2017, 07:34:02 AM »
I wonder if there's an example of a club sacking a manager while they're in the top six of this league...

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #7757 on: November 06, 2017, 07:40:14 AM »
Yes there is Ads, our renowned neighbours, but I am sure Rowett did not have a silk purse to make a pigs ear out of it. Where we are as far as I am concerned is a major worry not just for this season, but for seasons to come, if we do not act just because our 12 fingered neighbours did and surprise , surprise they did what they have been doing for over a hundred years and fucked it up.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7758 on: November 06, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »
What sort of monumental idiot starts a player suffering from broken ribs?

You have to blame the player as well. It's not as if he's said 'Broken rib? No excuse you're playing'. I'm sure there was some discussion between player, training staff and manager. It's an monumental unfair post to be honest.

The buck stops with the person in charge. It’s no such thing.

Well I think it is.

Yes, we know, your opinion is just as valid as yada yada yada.

That says more about you than him.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #7759 on: November 06, 2017, 09:39:17 AM »
Must be really sad and depressing for some when villa are winning games as it seems all some people do is sit there waiting for us to lose a game so they can have a go and demand Bruce to be sacked.

Imagine being a Villa fan and only being happy when we lose.

It has been pointed out that a team we all know of sacked their manager when in the play offs. Since  then 41 games have gone by and they've won 7 nearly been relegated (would have been relegated if 2 of the 3 remaining games weren't against teams on holiday).  They are now onto their 3rd manager since sacking the manager that got them into a playoff place.

Suppose it's a case if be careful what you wish for, but then again some people might be happy if we sack him and do a Blues.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #7760 on: November 06, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »
The blues comparison is disingenuous in the extreme, as they were massively overachieving at the time. We are underachieving for the outlay of the past 18 months.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #7761 on: November 06, 2017, 09:48:23 AM »
The blues comparison is disingenuous in the extreme, as they were massively overachieving at the time. We are underachieving for the outlay of the past 18 months.

Whereas we were doing just fine before Bruce came.

Offline Ger Regan

« Reply #7762 on: November 06, 2017, 09:49:56 AM »
So it's not like the blues situation at all, then.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #7763 on: November 06, 2017, 09:54:38 AM »

If we sack him now there is a good chance it will be.

Let's look at it this way people liked RDM hardly anyone moaned but he had us heading where Sunderland are right now, Bruce comes in we are now in the playoff places and people are moaning.  Surely it's not difficult to see that is backwards

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #7764 on: November 06, 2017, 10:08:32 AM »
Look at it this way as it stands we are looking at the play offs  , quick look at the current top 6 and our record is
Wolves =Loss
Cardiff -Loss
Boro -Draw (against 10 men )
Bristol -Draw

Hardly confidence inspiring that should we make the top 6 we can win the play off's

pbavfckuwait's post is correct in that the squad assembled is terrible given the money available to Bruce

Offline Ger Regan

« Reply #7765 on: November 06, 2017, 10:09:17 AM »
I'm not interested in any comparisons with RDM or former blues managers. Bruce should be assessed on what he's done in the job, and for me he's under-performed, even if we are currently in the playoff spots. I've already said that he should be given the season and then dispensed of, come what may, but unless you think that he's getting the absolute best out of the squad available, i fail to see how anyone could doubt that a different manager might actually improve this team.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #7766 on: November 06, 2017, 10:22:07 AM »

If we sack him now there is a good chance it will be.

Let's look at it this way people liked RDM hardly anyone moaned but he had us heading where Sunderland are right now, Bruce comes in we are now in the playoff places and people are moaning.  Surely it's not difficult to see that is backwards

I'm not sure you should keep an underachieving manager just because you might hire someone who's worse. If the club doesn't trust their ability to make the right hire, well, things are fucked anyway.

The RDM situation isn't really comparable - the squad just wasn't as good back then, particularly in midfield (don't need to explain this one), but also with neither Gestede nor McCormack being capable of doing what Davis has been doing, not having yet pulled the plug on Elphick, and not much depth in wide positions (no Snodgrass, Green yet to be introduced into the fold, Adomah still settling in.) Even so, RDM was still doing a crap job compared to the state of the squad, and got sacked as a result, so I don't see how it shouldn't apply to Bruce - maybe not yet, but certainly if we endure another slump like the one in January or to start off the season.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:24:25 AM by passitsideways »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #7767 on: November 06, 2017, 10:36:04 AM »
I wonder if there's an example of a club sacking a manager while they're in the top six of this league...
Not that I want him to be sacked now but...
If you are comparing it to SHA the argument is bunk. Gary Rowett was an up and coming Manager who managed to get a team built on a miserly budget into the top 6. Steve Bruce has spent money in abundance and has a massive squad made up of experience and young talent. He is also a so called seasoned "successful" Manager a promotion expert. SHA getting to sixth was an over achievement where as it's frankly embarrassing for us to be just about touching play off positions at this stage of the season.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #7768 on: November 06, 2017, 10:42:11 AM »
Must be really sad and depressing for some when villa are winning games as it seems all some people do is sit there waiting for us to lose a game so they can have a go and demand Bruce to be sacked.

Imagine being a Villa fan and only being happy when we lose.

It has been pointed out that a team we all know of sacked their manager when in the play offs. Since  then 41 games have gone by and they've won 7 nearly been relegated (would have been relegated if 2 of the 3 remaining games weren't against teams on holiday).  They are now onto their 3rd manager since sacking the manager that got them into a playoff place.

Suppose it's a case if be careful what you wish for, but then again some people might be happy if we sack him and do a Blues.
With respect this is rubbish. 26 points from 16 games is just not good enough and when you say winning games we have won 2 drawn 1 and lost 2 from our last 5 which is usually the measure to describe current form. That's 7 points from 15.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7769 on: November 06, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »
it’s all part of the general dumbing down of fans expectations
some people buy into it and believe we can’t do any better than Bruce

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal