collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113055 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #690 on: February 21, 2017, 09:55:13 PM »
I find myself agreeing with a lot of this...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/10776452/what-is-going-wrong-for-steve-bruces-aston-villa

Quote from: Sky Sports
there aren't too many calling for Bruce's head, and little doubt he can handle the expectation

See this is the bit I don't like.

In a post all about the players failing to handle expectations why does Bruce get off with a throw away line like that as if the idea that he's out of his depth is unthinkable?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #691 on: February 21, 2017, 09:58:22 PM »
There is a mood at the club so hard to shift and now so familiar that new lows are met more by a shrug of the shoulders than any form of rage.

It is a good article buy I fail to understand this passage in view of the fact that we have new owner, new management staff new team manager and almost a entirely new team so why?

True though isn't it?

We have become immune to embarrassment.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #692 on: February 21, 2017, 10:00:51 PM »
There is a mood at the club so hard to shift and now so familiar that new lows are met more by a shrug of the shoulders than any form of rage.

It is a good article buy I fail to understand this passage in view of the fact that we have new owner, new management staff new team manager and almost a entirely new team so why?
Olaf, perhaps the problem is that there is no-one there from the time when we had a strong mentality, who is able to take his colleagues by the scruff of the neck ...and MAKE them fight like he does ! Mortimer, Bremner, With especially come quickly to mind.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #693 on: February 21, 2017, 10:09:18 PM »
To me this is it, I know Hutton has his detractors but if every player committed themselves as he does then we would see a change but when I watch all I see is players closing down at half pace and when in possession moving forward so slowly that defenders have all day to get in to position. We need a couple of mongrels in the team at the moment we are a team of show dogs.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #694 on: February 21, 2017, 10:09:50 PM »
I think lose at home to Derby and it will be all over. And it will completely against what the club will want to do but the situation is getting to the point of untenable.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #695 on: February 21, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »
I think lose at home to Derby and it will be all over. And it will completely against what the club will want to do but the situation is getting to the point of untenable.

I'm not sure TV.

We have Bristol City on the Tuesday and then Rotherham away on the Saturday.

In the context of where we are in the season now two massive games.

I really couldn't see us ditching Bruce and putting a caretaker in charge for those games (let's not forget that would probably be Calderwood!)

I've said before but Bruce should resign in shame if we don't beat Rotherham....that would finish me off for this season if that happened I think. They have 19 fewer points than we do so that gives you an indication of their ability.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #696 on: February 21, 2017, 10:14:22 PM »
To me this is it, I know Hutton has his detractors but if every player committed themselves as he does then we would see a change but when I watch all I see is players closing down at half pace and when in possession moving forward so slowly that defenders have all day to get in to position. We need a couple of mongrels in the team at the moment we are a team of show dogs.

You much watch a different game to me because almost every time I've seen Hutton play he's bombed forward, got the ball, given it away and, unless the ball goes near him, he then just jogs back to position.  There's a myth that he is super committed that I can only think exists because every now and then he launches himself at people if there's the slightest chance he can get the ball and sometimes he leaves the other guy in a heap on the floor.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #697 on: February 21, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »
Can't see how the situation can get any worse - Bruce appears to have lost  his mojo. Bit like the Doherty era.  Need to get someone in as soon as possible, although  it does  pain me to lose such  a decent  fella.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #698 on: February 21, 2017, 10:24:35 PM »
At least the doc brought us Tiler and the Rioch's didn't he ? Contrast and compare Elphick Jedinack and others.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #699 on: February 21, 2017, 10:28:36 PM »
Sadly he looks to be going the same way as his predecessors.

4 months in and we still have no idea of the style of the play beyond hit and hope for the best and yet another manager who's spent a fortune, the team has got worse and if he survives until the summer no doubt he'll go to Dr Tony and ask for more money from him.

It keeps happening but it's just very groundhog day isn't it?

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #700 on: February 21, 2017, 10:34:28 PM »
Looking at the list of Wikipedia for Villa Managers. Since 1974

We had 2 strikers managing us. Which is Sir Ron Saunders and Brian Little. Rest of them are mainly defenders / midfielders.

Think we should be looking at a former Forward who is managing. They won't be thinking about how to prevent losing or defend too much.

Look at Brian Clough and Sir Alex Ferguson. 2 most successful managers in past and both of them are forwards.

Just a thougt.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #701 on: February 21, 2017, 10:36:50 PM »
Sadly he looks to be going the same way as his predecessors.

4 months in and we still have no idea of the style of the play beyond hit and hope for the best and yet another manager who's spent a fortune, the team has got worse and if he survives until the summer no doubt he'll go to Dr Tony and ask for more money from him.

It keeps happening but it's just very groundhog day isn't it?

:o

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #702 on: February 21, 2017, 11:26:20 PM »

I'm not sure TV.

I really couldn't see us ditching Bruce and putting a caretaker in charge for those games (let's not forget that would probably be Calderwood!)

I've said before but Bruce should resign in shame if we don't beat Rotherham....that would finish me off for this season if that happened I think. They have 19 fewer points than we do so that gives you an indication of their ability.

Lose the first 2 he won't be here for Rotherham

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #703 on: February 21, 2017, 11:35:41 PM »

I'm not sure TV.

It might stretch to Bristol City but I agree with Ozz he won't be here for Rotherham with 2 more losses. And Gary Rowett might be the obvious choice to come straight in.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #704 on: February 21, 2017, 11:51:16 PM »
The thing is for me, so the 2 matches you mention are lost.
The players don't have to bust a gut to lose them.

And then, what?
Another hopeful manager?
And then, the players might turn it on?

I want The Club management at Aston Villa to actually be that, more than being thrown this way and that by the weekly whims of the players.
I think the Club has to back Bruce and say, to the players, F U. We'll sell you. Everybody can see what you're doing.

Well, some of you, but quite honestly, after Newcastle I don't know that you are a team at all.

I am rather upset, so may not appreciate nuance in the players' individual performances.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal