collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113259 times)

Offline taylorsworkrate

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5520 on: September 08, 2017, 07:16:52 PM »
I've read his press conference on the OS. He's wrong about Cardiff, we were awful. If it hadn't been for Johnstone, it would have been a lot worse and we only really started playing in the last ten minutes against Reading. Other than that like he said, we've been ok

The second half against Hull was very poor, and the first half against Bristol was abject

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5521 on: September 08, 2017, 08:11:36 PM »
It's very easy not to castigate players without reaching a Comical Ali level of ignoring reality.

Yes, and likewise nobody is asking Bruce to stand there and say, "Well, John Terry has been shit, and Emlohamady, I was expecting him to be good, but no, he's been shit, Whelan, yep, a bit shit as well, looks a right old knacker's yard reject."  Pretending we've only had one bad half of football makes him like a fool though.  We had very little of the possession against Reading, and they played us off the park.  We were abject second half against Hull, and for the entire match v Cardiff.  Pretending otherwise is moronic.

"Everything went wrong apart from the first 20 minutes. We made a bad mistake for the first goal and after that it was on the verge of embarrassing at times. It was a rude awakening for us. We didn't do the basics well and we looked fragile. Overall, it was a difficult afternoon.

"We have to do more. We are Aston Villa and we come with a big reputation. But away from home we have to be aware of what's coming. There were two decent chances at 0-0, but we didn't take them. It's one of the biggest defeats I've had in the Championship, we lost all our shape and balance."

He didn't pretend otherwise at the time. But why dwell on it weeks later? What's the point?

Because the manager said something that was blatantly untrue.

There's not a manager in the land who hasn't done the same. On a number of occasions.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5522 on: September 08, 2017, 08:44:06 PM »
It's very easy not to castigate players without reaching a Comical Ali level of ignoring reality.

Yes, and likewise nobody is asking Bruce to stand there and say, "Well, John Terry has been shit, and Emlohamady, I was expecting him to be good, but no, he's been shit, Whelan, yep, a bit shit as well, looks a right old knacker's yard reject."  Pretending we've only had one bad half of football makes him like a fool though.  We had very little of the possession against Reading, and they played us off the park.  We were abject second half against Hull, and for the entire match v Cardiff.  Pretending otherwise is moronic.

"Everything went wrong apart from the first 20 minutes. We made a bad mistake for the first goal and after that it was on the verge of embarrassing at times. It was a rude awakening for us. We didn't do the basics well and we looked fragile. Overall, it was a difficult afternoon.

"We have to do more. We are Aston Villa and we come with a big reputation. But away from home we have to be aware of what's coming. There were two decent chances at 0-0, but we didn't take them. It's one of the biggest defeats I've had in the Championship, we lost all our shape and balance."

He didn't pretend otherwise at the time. But why dwell on it weeks later? What's the point?

There's not a manager in the land who hasn't done the same. On a number of occasions.

As this is an Aston Villa forum, is it OK to discuss the Aston Villa manager doing it?

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #5523 on: September 08, 2017, 08:46:35 PM »
Ultimately, no matter what Bruce goes on to achieve with us or anyone else, he will always be the manager who signed Titus Bramble twice.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #5524 on: September 08, 2017, 08:46:58 PM »
Bruce's post match analysis and memories are bordering on being Lambertesque.

He is full of spin and bullshit.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5525 on: September 08, 2017, 09:09:43 PM »
Ultimately, no matter what Bruce goes on to achieve with us or anyone else, he will always be the manager who signed Titus Bramble twice
If he takes us up this season he can sign him again as far as I am concerned.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5526 on: September 08, 2017, 09:14:42 PM »
Bruce's post match analysis and memories are bordering on being Lambertesque.

He is full of spin and bullshit.
May be he regards anything prior to Norwich match as ancient history however the positive is that he has admitted to being here 10 months but 11 would have been more correct.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5527 on: September 08, 2017, 11:46:43 PM »

As this is an Aston Villa forum, is it OK to discuss the Aston Villa manager doing it?

I'm merely pointing out that your point becomes far less relevant when taken in the context of all of his peers behaving the same way.

But yes, you keep on finding fault with the Aston Villa manager, in any way you can. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5528 on: September 09, 2017, 07:04:03 AM »

I'm merely pointing out that your point becomes far less relevant when taken in the context of all of his peers behaving the same way.

But yes, you keep on finding fault with the Aston Villa manager, in any way you can. 

You make it sound like he's doing well, and that's a perverse position to take.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #5529 on: September 09, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »
He's not doing well, but the last 3 games have been ok.  It seems reasonable to tone down the rhetoric and take a watching brief for the next few games to see if we really have turned a corner.

Offline ez

« Reply #5530 on: September 09, 2017, 11:08:38 AM »
For me the more important thing is that talk of promotion seems to have subsided.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5531 on: September 09, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »
He's not doing well, but the last 3 games have been ok.  It seems reasonable to tone down the rhetoric and take a watching brief for the next few games to see if we really have turned a corner.

That's true but a defeat today would be extremely damaging for Bruce. That's how fragile his position is. A win and he'll have credit in the bank for the next two or three games. I do find his recent comments disturbing; previously he's been open and honest about how poor we've been. Now he seems to be in denial and rewriting history. It's a common trait of managers that are losing it.

I guessing the pressure has been getting to him but a great run this month and I expect him to return to his more realistic assessments and he'll probably talk about how poor we were in August. He can also start talking about promotion.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #5532 on: September 09, 2017, 12:47:26 PM »

That's true but a defeat today would be extremely damaging for Bruce. That's how fragile his position is. A win and he'll have credit in the bank for the next two or three games. I do find his recent comments disturbing; previously he's been open and honest about how poor we've been. Now he seems to be in denial and rewriting history. It's a common trait of managers that are losing it.

I guessing the pressure has been getting to him but a great run this month and I expect him to return to his more realistic assessments and he'll probably talk about how poor we were in August. He can also start talking about promotion.

When under pressure most he has managed to nudge a step or two forward shuffling. This month he has no excuses at all and a few large strides forward are in order. If we are not a fair bit closer to the top 6 (or in it) by end of the month then that is it. He was lucky to survive after the first 3 league games.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #5533 on: September 09, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »
If we are to have a realistic chance of automatic promotion, we have to be in the top 6 after the next 6 league games. If not, we are into lucky dip territory and that is not good enough.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #5534 on: September 09, 2017, 01:56:27 PM »
I have a feeling he's going to name a couple of unpopular players in his starting eleven. Hope I'm wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal