collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113705 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5430 on: September 01, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »
He's here to get us promoted, not build Villa's infrastructure.

That's how I see it. Trouble is, I don't see him doing either

I agree, Bruce was a pragmatic short term choice to get us back up as quickly as possible, he missed out on that last season by a long way and was lucky to keep his job but he can only be judged this season on results, if we're not in the top 6 after 10-15 games then his position has to be questioned because that's literally the only point of him being here.  If you sacrifice every other concern to go all out for results then those results have to be delivered and not just hoped for.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #5431 on: September 01, 2017, 02:31:31 PM »
We have no prospect of promotion until we abandon the notion of buying it.  Promotion has to be earned.  Not having shed loads of money to chuck around will be ultimately better for our promotion prospects.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5432 on: September 01, 2017, 02:35:12 PM »
Money doesn't always lead to football success, but more often than not it does.  Saying otherwise lets the players and manger off the hook.   There are no excuses with this squad. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:10:36 PM by Rigadon »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #5433 on: September 01, 2017, 02:57:31 PM »
We have no prospect of promotion until we abandon the notion of buying it.  Promotion has to be earned.  Not having shed loads of money to chuck around will be ultimately better for our promotion prospects.
I disagree with this.  There's a lot more to it than money, but absolutely it does help.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5434 on: September 01, 2017, 03:33:32 PM »
I disagree with this.  There's a lot more to it than money, but absolutely it does help.

Only if how it's used follows a long-term plan.  If your spending consists of "he scored a lot so we'll take him, he's played for me before and was good so he'll be useful, he's free and was good before, he's played lots of games at this level" then money doesn't help, it just lets you half-arse through other things as well.  Again this isn't specific to Bruce, that lazy signings, lazy staffing, dated training and piss poor scouting have been consistently shit for years, Bruce is a symptom of the shitty approach to planning and the one thing I agree with the pro-Bruce lot on is that the likely replacements would be equally as poorly thought out.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #5435 on: September 01, 2017, 04:46:51 PM »
Alfi Titmuss comes in for a lot of stick but he's articulate and writes interesting things. Give him a chance.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #5436 on: September 01, 2017, 08:14:07 PM »
Alfi Titmuss comes in for a lot of stick but he's articulate and writes interesting things. Give him a chance.

Articulate? In the widest possible sense of the word and that's being kind

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #5437 on: September 01, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
Barely literate and hardly articulate.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5438 on: September 01, 2017, 09:48:26 PM »
Barely literate and hardly articulate.
I thought it is "hardly literate and barely articulate"?

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #5439 on: September 01, 2017, 10:04:32 PM »

Only if how it's used follows a long-term plan.  If your spending consists of "he scored a lot so we'll take him, he's played for me before and was good so he'll be useful, he's free and was good before, he's played lots of games at this level" then money doesn't help, it just lets you half-arse through other things as well.  Again this isn't specific to Bruce, that lazy signings, lazy staffing, dated training and piss poor scouting have been consistently shit for years, Bruce is a symptom of the shitty approach to planning and the one thing I agree with the pro-Bruce lot on is that the likely replacements would be equally as poorly thought out.

Don't you think that the club had taken enough punts on people and decided that they needed to play it safe and spend big.  I mean, after O'Neill we had a punt on McLeish (always a gamble given where he came from), then Houllier (out of the game while), then Lambert (young / hungry), Sherwood (complete novice), Garde (a totally unknown quantity).  I can understand Di Matteo - he had a promotion and big cup under his belt pretty recently.  So we come to Bruce.   His is on massively thin ice, but can't you see wh the club brought him in after that long list of long shots?   

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #5440 on: September 01, 2017, 10:08:33 PM »
And as for money, people will retrospectively moan about other teams 'buying the title' etc, but when we attempt to do it, well it just won't work will it... We need to stop giving our lot the free pass by saying money alone won't cut it - we have spent massively and need to see a turn on it. It's on Bruce and the players to make the millions of pounds spent count.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #5441 on: September 01, 2017, 10:13:53 PM »

Don't you think that the club had taken enough punts on people and decided that they needed to play it safe and spend big.  I mean, after O'Neill we had a punt on McLeish (always a gamble given where he came from), then Houllier (out of the game while), then Lambert (young / hungry), Sherwood (complete novice), Garde (a totally unknown quantity).  I can understand Di Matteo - he had a promotion and big cup under his belt pretty recently.  So we come to Bruce.   His is on massively thin ice, but can't you see wh the club brought him in after that long list of long shots?

Timeline's a bit snafu there...

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #5442 on: September 01, 2017, 10:15:40 PM »

Timeline's a bit snafu there...

Huh?

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #5443 on: September 01, 2017, 10:19:10 PM »
oh yeah, Houllier before McLeish, apologies.   

Just checking win % and silly old Potato Head matches MON, Little, Atkinson, Mercer.  We are obviously in a lower league now.  But we were an absolute fucking shambles when he took it on.  An utter shower. 

Now though, he needs to get us up this time, or will be rightly seen as a failure.   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:22:40 PM by Rigadon »

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #5444 on: September 01, 2017, 11:29:30 PM »
O'Hare
Davis
Clarke
Suleiman
Green
Doyle-Hayes

I'd imagine that compares favourably with any side in the league.

who have about 10 appearances between them if you omit Green

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal