collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113476 times)

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #5280 on: August 30, 2017, 09:10:46 AM »
Wanting Bruce out is one thing, but then who would come in that would not mean we are in the same position again having the same debate? Is there an obvious stand out choice?
Only having half a solution is not really going to help.

Keeping something that is not working because there doesn't seem to be an obvious replacement is not a good argument for sticking with what you have got. Simple reason being that you will never get to where you want to be.
I don't think anyone has said stick with Bruce regardless of future results have they? But sacking somebody when their last results have been 4-2 4-1 and 1-1 away from home isn't a good argument for sacking somebody without giving them the opportunity to hopefully learn and push on.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #5281 on: August 30, 2017, 09:24:17 AM »
Wanting Bruce out is one thing, but then who would come in that would not mean we are in the same position again having the same debate? Is there an obvious stand out choice?

just have a look at the manager suggestions thread there's a list as long as your arm on there

Again, who is the stand out candidate?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #5282 on: August 30, 2017, 09:25:47 AM »

Keeping something that is not working because there doesn't seem to be an obvious replacement is not a good argument for sticking with what you have got. Simple reason being that you will never get to where you want to be.
I don't think anyone has said stick with Bruce regardless of future results have they? But sacking somebody when their last results have been 4-2 4-1 and 1-1 away from home isn't a good argument for sacking somebody without giving them the opportunity to hopefully learn and push on.

My response was to the previous post, not saying get rid of him now. I have previously stated on here that I felt the time to replace Bruce was at the end of last season.  I have more recently stated that having kept him, he should be given the next 6 matches before a further review (unless it goes tits up in the meantime). My view is that he needs to be in the top 6 by then.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #5283 on: August 30, 2017, 09:26:29 AM »

I didn't say it was, the point is  that getting rid is only half the solution.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #5284 on: August 30, 2017, 09:30:41 AM »

just have a look at the manager suggestions thread there's a list as long as your arm on there

I think there's a poll at the top telling you people's preferences
the fella from Fulham was winning last time I looked although it could change as it was a few weeks ago

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #5285 on: August 30, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »

the fella from Fulham was winning last time I looked although it could change as it was a few weeks ago
Is that the manager of the club that went out of the cup to Bristol Rovers and have one more point than us ?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #5286 on: August 30, 2017, 09:58:26 AM »
The "who would come instead" line is a poor excuse for not doing away with an underachieving manager.  Other clubs with less grand traditions and history,  smaller fan bases, and fewer resources  have managed to attract some real coaching talent from the continent.  Of course they are a risk but it's the job of Wyness and round et al to be monitoring the situation constantly and be aware of who is doing the business, or who might do the business here.  Unfortunately the Bruce recruitment indicates they may both be a little "old school" and lean towards the "proper football men" approach. 

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5287 on: August 30, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
The "who would come instead" line is a poor excuse for not doing away with an underachieving manager. 

I don't think it's an unreasonable question for fans to debate about on a forum though.

Online john e

« Reply #5288 on: August 30, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »

Is that the manager of the club that went out of the cup to Bristol Rovers and have one more point than us ?

that's the very one

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5289 on: August 30, 2017, 10:46:55 AM »
Again that's not for me , you and anyone on this forum to pick. There are couple of blokes called Round and Wyness who are probably paid a million pounds per annum between them to do. So far they have not done a good job.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #5290 on: August 30, 2017, 10:51:27 AM »
Again that's not for me , you and anyone on this forum to pick.

Which is just as well. Wasn't Solskjær the top choice on here to replace Lambert a few years back.

Although somebody also suggested that Lambert could be replaced by a balloon with a smiley face painted on it. That would be my choice of Bruce's replacment

Online john e

« Reply #5291 on: August 30, 2017, 11:01:28 AM »
I lost my bag in Newport Pagnell.

famous for 3 things

M1 services
oldest iron bridge in daily use
home of Aston Martin

sorry about your bag if it pops up I'll let you know

Awful crash on the motorway there at the weekend, 8 dead.

yes absolutely awful

you moved yet ?

Yep.  Currently available for pints.  Not at Newport Pagnell Services though.  We always used to get off there and sneak through the back exit when we drove back from holiday.

lots still do that as long as you know the gate code (taps nose)

a pint is a good idea I'd be up for that

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #5292 on: August 30, 2017, 11:02:18 AM »
Bruce is like a Donald Trump of Aston Villa

for those that believe in him he can do no wrong, doesn't matter what he says or does he is the man to make Villa great again and all the critics are just full of fake news and should get behind him

for those who don't believe and never have it doesn't matter if we are top 6 or bottom 6 we don't want him,
 we accept he has a record of promotions we just don't think he's ever built anything of worth, value, entertainment or long lasting to be good enough or even deserve the chance of being our manager
we have been so shit for years that even our own fans think Bruce is doing us a favour by coming, tricked into thinking that's the best we can do and be gratefull
 the bar has been lowered so low even Steve Bruce's massive frame can get over it

just like Trump Bruce isn't going to make Villa great again, he's the wrong man at the wrong time, he'l do enough to keep his job for a while, a win or two here, a half decent performance there to keep the believers believing

eventually it will come to an end and we will realise the time, effort and money wasted in the big short fix experiment that ended in failure and just like America we will have to start all over again and hopefully choose someone better

Bruce's job is to get Villa back in the PL, not to make us great again. It'll take us a few years back in the PL before we can achieve this, if we ever do, and Bruce will be long gone by then. The Trump analogy is daft. Bruce is an just average manager, not a threat to humanity.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5293 on: August 30, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »
Not a threat to humanity? Where were you after losses to Cardiff and Barcelona City...there was human revulsion carnage going on here😂

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #5294 on: August 30, 2017, 11:11:50 AM »
Again that's not for me , you and anyone on this forum to pick. There are couple of blokes called Round and Wyness who are probably paid a million pounds per annum between them to do. So far they have not done a good job.

That is such a cop out. It's also not your job to fire a manager but doesn't stop people banging on and on about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal