collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114025 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #4590 on: August 19, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
You could argue a 4-1 win at Norwich was a more impressive QF victory then 2-0 against Smethwick.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4591 on: August 19, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »
Any idiot can stumble through two wins in a cup tournament, as he showed. The utter disaster of that summer, that start to the season, his total disregard and disdain for the club, the fans, the players, the bullshitting, the self-serving putting-down of others, the long-term damage done by our being the only ones fucking gullible enough to employ that utter fraud and chancer...nah, I'm afraid I've forgotten all about the cup games.

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #4592 on: August 19, 2017, 10:55:12 AM »
Any idiot can stumble through two wins in a cup tournament, as he showed. The utter disaster of that summer, that start to the season, his total disregard and disdain for the club, the fans, the players, the bullshitting, the self-serving putting-down of others, the long-term damage done by our being the only ones fucking gullible enough to employ that utter fraud and chancer...nah, I'm afraid I've forgotten all about the cup games.

Nailed it.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4593 on: August 19, 2017, 10:56:45 AM »
You could argue a 4-1 win at Norwich was a more impressive QF victory then 2-0 against Smethwick.

You could. Then again losing 0-15 over three games and losing a two legged semi final to a fourth division team are the two most humiliating things to happen to Villa since I've been a fan.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4594 on: August 19, 2017, 10:58:47 AM »
We lost too much quality in that summer really.

Benteke, D*lph and Vlaar (not quite as good as the other two but still a decent international defender). You could argue Cleverley aswell was showing good form in a Sherwood system.

Four international players who knew this league inside out and could help us win games in the premier league.

We lost too much quality in one go and Sherwood was far too inexperienced as a manager to replace them effectively and we paid the price. Some signings of course he didn't want but plenty he did.

Surely Lambert sowed the seeds though? Club record defeats, 5-6 games when we didn't even score a goal and annual relegation battles so he changed the culture of the club from top half to bottom 6 given he was here two and a half years, longer than Sherwood, Garde and SB combined.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4595 on: August 19, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
You can say lots of things, i'd be amazed if anyone didn't have fantastic days following Villa for the QF and Sf, which is the point and only point i'm making. That Sherwood turned out to be shit is totally irrelevant to those days

Online Monty

« Reply #4596 on: August 19, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »
We signed a lot of players, some of whom were definitely good enough for the Premier League and some of whom (especially Sherwood's handpicked signings) definitely were not. Sherwood wasn't just inexperienced, he was actively terrible, constantly undermining the team, having no plan for training or forging a cohesive unit, only looking out for himself in his increasingly Trump-esque press conferences. He's extremely responsible for us being in the shit we're in now.

The seeds, however, weren't sewn by Lambert - dreadful though he was - as much as by Lerner. There's your number one culprit.

You can say lots of things, i'd be amazed if anyone didn't have fantastic days following Villa for the QF and Sf, which is the point and only point i'm making. That Sherwood turned out to be shit is totally irrelevant to those days

Maybe. They are so soured by hindsight for me though, I'm afraid.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #4597 on: August 19, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »
Spot on

Offline The Edge

« Reply #4598 on: August 19, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
Sherwood was a C**T, an embarrassment.
Just say what you think  🤔

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #4599 on: August 19, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »
No maybe about it. A great day following Villa will always remain a great day regardless of what happens at a later date. Stoke away under Lambert was great for an example, the Norwich QF mentioned was great for those there no doubt. That Lambert was so crap doesn't alter that. I don't remember a  single person on here doing anything but loving those QF and SF days. Seems weird to be downgrading 2 of the very few great Villa days of recent years just because Sherwood is a twat and turned out to be a crap manager.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #4600 on: August 19, 2017, 11:11:32 AM »
No maybe about it. A great day following Villa will always remain a great day regardless of what happens at a later date. Stoke away under Lambert was great for an example, the Norwich QF mentioned was great for those there no doubt. That Lambert was so crap doesn't alter that. I don't remember a  single person on here doing anything but loving those QF and SF days. Seems weird to be downgrading 2 of the very few great Villa days of recent years just because Sherwood is a twat and turned out to be a crap manager.
Ha ha well put

Online Monty

« Reply #4601 on: August 19, 2017, 11:13:24 AM »
Not downgrading, I mean, of course they were great days. It's just that, looking back at the scale of the disaster which (IMO) is largely attributable to Sherwood, they've been a bit shit-tinted.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #4602 on: August 19, 2017, 11:18:50 AM »
New poster here, although a long time reader.

I wasn't a fan of Bruce becoming our manager, mainly because I think we should be setting our sites higher than just a 'one season fix' (we wish!). I have nothing against the man, I just didn't think he is what we needed after such a disastrous few seasons.

Having said that I can also understand why a new owner would see thing differently and, purely looking at the financials, want that 'quick fix'. I'm not going to knock Xia for that but I will worry if he hangs on to that notion for too long, when it's obvious to all around that it's a 'busted flush'.

Are we there yet? I think we are very close. A loss to Norwich today and I think he might be gone on Monday. A draw will, in my opinion, give another game or two. I'm hoping for a win that takes us on a long unbeaten run - but that is more based on eternal hope rather than expectation.

Either way, I don't think Xia is a stupid man, despite some of his Twitter ramblings!   He'll want to protect his investment more than he will his pride. I just hope, if the worst happens, that he learns some valuable lessons.

Sorry for the rambling first post. I'll try not to make a habit of it. I'll just finish by saying, I think we will scrape a win today. It won't be pretty, but I think we might just do it. Anything else will probably spell the end for Bruce.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #4603 on: August 19, 2017, 11:18:50 AM »
He played a part in the fact we're currently 24th in Division smegging 2. Which is totally unacceptable for Aston Villa. The QF and SF however still remain 2 of the the best Villa days i've had in over 40 years following us, that we're so shite now doesn't change how I felt leaving VP after the QF or Wembley after the SF, and nothing ever will.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4604 on: August 19, 2017, 11:20:24 AM »

They were great but his later performance suggests that it was probably more about a decent set of players getting their act together rather than any major input by him. The fact that the better ones jumped ship in the summer is perhaps a sign that they knew It too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal