collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:36:02 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 09:35:07 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 09:34:54 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:33:46 AM]

Re: Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:33:43 AM]

[Today at 09:31:35 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 09:31:10 AM]

[Today at 09:28:58 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2123325 times)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #3675 on: August 12, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »
At some point we have to accept it takes more than half a season to put things right.  We have to think more long term.  We have to let a team grow with a manager.

We have some good players and Bruce generally picks a team with 7 or 8 of these players in it but then ruins it with the other 3 or 4 he selects.  Add to this the way he wants to play and you can see why we are not making any progress.

I still think the biggest mistake he has made is walking into this club and thinking he could rehabilitate GA.

Off the top of my head, he must have been in charge for nearly 40 games now ? Spend loads and absolutely no improvement.

Sorry, I didn't mean it as sticking with Bruce. I meant it as to not keep appointing managers that we think can turn it around in 6 months i.e. A name that has done it before.  This is a longer term project and why I thought he should have been replaced at the end of last season.

Yes mate, with you 100%

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #3676 on: August 12, 2017, 07:52:13 PM »
I posted after last week that Bruce should go and I seem to recall being shouted down .......

Can anybody tell me how we are better than last season........

Bruce had a pre season at end of last season plus the official one yet we seem to have no idea what the formation etc needs to be

I am afraid I believe Bruce is 5 years past his sell by date and we need him gone while we have games ...its no good after 10 games our season will be over

All the post match interviews saying its not good enough are not acceptable - this really is your team Bruce

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #3677 on: August 12, 2017, 07:57:44 PM »
Allardyce looks like a decent shout. Prepares thoroughly, has his players understand what they're supposed to be doing, gets results. Would he want it, though?
No no and no. We must not keep falling in to this knows the League, can conjure up results mode again. We should have gone for Wagner in January  and  we need someone similar to his type now.

Allardyce is not a Steve Bruce. He has a brain, for a start. Since Wagner is out of the question, who would you recommend?
I don't have much idea but from those I know and the knowledge is limited.
Slaviša Jokanović
Quique Sánchez Flores
Walter Mazzarri

How can you put forward names to do better than Bruce when none of them have done better than Bruce?

I'm not saying I want Bruce to stay, but I reckon there's only one manager I would confidently predict in improving us and getting us promoted, and he's not going to leave Man Utd for us.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #3678 on: August 12, 2017, 08:00:44 PM »
Jokanovic has got Watford promoted and Fulham to the play offs in 3 years, not a bad track record.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #3679 on: August 12, 2017, 08:01:00 PM »
We needed to get rid of him at the end of last season, realistically at that point he hadn't shown anywhere near enough to suggest that he could get us up this season but being kind you could of argue that he had steadied the ship at that point for a more progressive manager to come in and take us forward (Jokanovic being the one i'd have wanted). The new guy at that point would have had pre-season to get his players in and work on his ideas.
Unfortunately we gave Bruce the summer, he brought his own players in and made us a slower, pedestrian team. Bruce is a gonner sooner or later, but my fear now is that whoever comes in has to work with these players and we missed a good opportunity for change last May.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:05:39 PM by LukeJames »

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #3680 on: August 12, 2017, 08:07:01 PM »
We needed to get rid of him at the end of last season, realistically at that point he hadn't shown anywhere near enough to suggest that he could get us up this season but being king you could of argue that he had steadied the ship at that point for a more progressive manager to come in and take us forward (Jokanovic being the one i'd have wanted). The new guy at that point would have had pre-season to get his players in and work on his ideas.
Unfortunately we gave Bruce the summer, he brought his own players in and made us a slower, pedestrian team. Bruce is a gonner sooner or later, but my fear now is that whoever comes in has to work with these players and we missed a good opportunity for change last May.
John Terry. His last throw of the dice, was never going to work, turn the lights off on your way out you feckless twat.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #3681 on: August 12, 2017, 08:08:56 PM »
I'm with you all the way Luke. I have virtually posted the same on the post match thread. We always seem to want change around October time which is far too late. The only additions I would make is to bring in a couple of pacey forwards/wingers. Defenders hate them and they are always a great outlet when pressure needs to be applied.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3682 on: August 12, 2017, 08:10:02 PM »
Fortunately, Bruce wasn't able  to spunk vast fortunes on new players in the summer.
If we get rid now and bring the  right man in quickly, there is time to get this season on track.

Every game we delay, the further away we get.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #3683 on: August 12, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »
His post match comments are nearly as scary as watching the team today. I really fear he doesn't know what he's doing, and neither do his coaching staff. Absolutely awful.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #3684 on: August 12, 2017, 08:19:20 PM »
That Samba substitution last week did it for me. I know he might have got an unlikely winner and all that crap, but first game of the season, at home, and your solution is Christopher Samba up front. I think he knows he's binned, it's now just a matter of when.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #3685 on: August 12, 2017, 08:20:35 PM »
Jokanovic has got Watford promoted and Fulham to the play offs in 3 years, not a bad track record.

Playing devils advocate that is a similar record to Bruce....

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #3686 on: August 12, 2017, 08:22:39 PM »
I don't know if Jokanovic is the solution, but Fulham were excellent whenever I watched them last season.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3687 on: August 12, 2017, 08:26:30 PM »
I don't know if Jokanovic is the solution, but Fulham were excellent whenever I watched them last season.

in fairness no one knows for sure who the solution would be but most know now it's not Bruce

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #3688 on: August 12, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
Allardyce looks like a decent shout. Prepares thoroughly, has his players understand what they're supposed to be doing, gets results. Would he want it, though?
No no and no. We must not keep falling in to this knows the League, can conjure up results mode again. We should have gone for Wagner in January  and  we need someone similar to his type now.

Allardyce is not a Steve Bruce. He has a brain, for a start. Since Wagner is out of the question, who would you recommend?
I don't have much idea but from those I know and the knowledge is limited.
Slaviša Jokanović
Quique Sánchez Flores
Walter Mazzarri

How can you put forward names to do better than Bruce when none of them have done better than Bruce?

I'm not saying I want Bruce to stay, but I reckon there's only one manager I would confidently predict in improving us and getting us promoted, and he's not going to leave Man Utd for us.

The above all look decent options, but would they come?

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #3689 on: August 12, 2017, 08:34:46 PM »
His post match comments are nearly as scary as watching the team today. I really fear he doesn't know what he's doing, and neither do his coaching staff. Absolutely awful.

If he signs Jordan Rhodes, when he had the opportunity last year - he really has no idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal