collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113872 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2925 on: July 19, 2017, 04:22:06 PM »
Reading the recent posts makes me laugh really. It was all said last season. Bruce should have been sacked at the end of last season or even before that when we were safe. We're stuck with him now for another season. I really hope I'm wrong but I doubt it. His brand of football is history, there's no doubt about that.

His brand of football was good enough to get hull promoted two
Years ago but is now "history". I must have missed some huge rule change or tactical innovation in the game during the last two years

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2926 on: July 19, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »
People have whipped themselves up into believing all the "gone by October" nonsense.

It's pre-season, a traditional time of year where football supporters around the globe are allowed to have just for a short time, hope.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2927 on: July 19, 2017, 04:30:30 PM »
Reading the recent posts makes me laugh really. It was all said last season. Bruce should have been sacked at the end of last season or even before that when we were safe. We're stuck with him now for another season. I really hope I'm wrong but I doubt it. His brand of football is history, there's no doubt about that.

Years ago but is now "history". I must have missed some huge rule change or tactical innovation in the game during the last two years

And sometimes things can change quickly. Ron Saunders for example built and managed a side capable of winning the league and European Cup, a couple of years later he was building and managing sides that were relegated. History is full of players and managers that lose 'it' quickly. Hopefully Bruce isn't one of them, but doing something 2 years ago somewhere else doesn't mean he can do it here this year.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2928 on: July 19, 2017, 04:42:28 PM »

The problem is we're not like hull.  We didn't spend the entire first 100 years of our existence outside the top flight, We aren't one of a small number of teams to have played in the premier league that have never won a major trophy in their entire history.

That difference can't be ignored, you can't come from a club like that to a club like Villa and try to do exactly the same things, it's just not going to work.  People seem to understand this when it comes to players, that sometimes the step up to a real pressure environment and a genuinely big club can ruin them, but it seems to be ignored when it comes to managers.  It's a failing we've seen recently with McLeish and Lambert both suffering with it (although the former wasn't even particularly successful elsewhere) but it still doesn't seem to be accepted as a thing.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #2929 on: July 19, 2017, 05:02:28 PM »

The problem is we're not like hull.  We didn't spend the entire first 100 years of our existence outside the top flight, We aren't one of a small number of teams to have played in the premier league that have never won a major trophy in their entire history.

That difference can't be ignored, you can't come from a club like that to a club like Villa and try to do exactly the same things, it's just not going to work.  People seem to understand this when it comes to players, that sometimes the step up to a real pressure environment and a genuinely big club can ruin them, but it seems to be ignored when it comes to managers.  It's a failing we've seen recently with McLeish and Lambert both suffering with it (although the former wasn't even particularly successful elsewhere) but it still doesn't seem to be accepted as a thing.

That is bit of tripe mate. Our history or size of club has no bearing on the here and now, only if he has the skills to get us promoted.
The other side of the coin is that Bruce didn't have the money we have to build a promotion team at Hull.
I am not saying he will get us up or his style of football I want to see from the Villa, but he has a recent record of get a team up.
Also, I think the bloke knows about pressure, from his playing and management time.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2930 on: July 19, 2017, 05:04:21 PM »
What problems now? A ball hasn't been kicked in anger. Pre season is two weeks old.

You always this premature?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2931 on: July 19, 2017, 05:08:58 PM »
I'm very sure Graham Taylor didn't change the way he worked when he took over a club who were the champions of europe 5 years previously.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #2932 on: July 19, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »
I'm very sure Graham Taylor didn't change the way he worked when he took over a club who were the champions of europe 5 years previously.

Bruce has already taken longer to get us up than Taylor did.

And that's the last time I use their 2 names in the same sentence.

Online Clampy

« Reply #2933 on: July 19, 2017, 05:21:37 PM »

Has he?

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2934 on: July 19, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »

Has he?

Didn't he join us in November 2016

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #2935 on: July 19, 2017, 05:23:35 PM »
Pretty sure Sir Graham had a full pre-season behind him and this is SB first?

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #2936 on: July 19, 2017, 05:24:35 PM »
What problems now? A ball hasn't been kicked in anger. Pre season is two weeks old.

You always this premature?

Correct.....not the premature part!

Online Clampy

« Reply #2937 on: July 19, 2017, 05:25:06 PM »

Has he?

Didn't he join us in November 2016

I presume he means by the time Bruce gets us up.

Didn't it take Chris Hughton 3 seasons to do it with Brighton?

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #2938 on: July 19, 2017, 05:25:30 PM »

Has he?

Fair point. So you reckon Bruce will have us promoted  by Christmas then?

Offline AV5nobs

« Reply #2939 on: July 19, 2017, 05:26:10 PM »
It's impossible to be promoted by Christmas.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal