collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113974 times)

Offline cannock villa

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2017, 03:32:27 PM »
How can people keep saying Bruce has no idea what he is doing, its crazy. Like him or loathe him, he has pedigree at this and higher level. As recently as last season he got Hull promoted so he has more recent experience than anybody who we could get in to replace him.
There's more to this situation than just managers and players but like everybody else i'm at a loss to explain it.
We've got to hope and pray that Bruce's tried and tested methods and hardwork eventually turn around and things start to even out.

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #286 on: February 15, 2017, 03:47:15 PM »
At some stage you simply have to draw the line at this hire and fire approach.

IMO it is sheer madness to invest money in a 'manager' and then sack him after only a few games/months. It just becomes a vicious circle. It's so difficult as supporters to adopt some patience especially in this day and age when the cost of supporting the club is so excessive. We all want value for money and almost instant success.

Unfortunately for us our club has been so poorly managed over a number of year that I just don't see an easy fix.

I really didn't understand the boards appointment in the summer of RDM but other than that we seem to have assembled a group of individuals that know about football and what is required to turn this club around. With an owner that has so far shown willingness to support them then I feel we have to back the board' judgement and allow Steve Bruce with his vast experience the chance to stabilise the club.

Having said that the results since Christmas have been hugely disappointing and surprising and its very difficult to take a step back from this and look at the overall picture especially when what we are witnessing on the field results wise has been so poor.

Since the transfer window, other than Brentford we have lost all the games due to horrendous individual errors. In all the other games we have been pretty good for long period which suggests to me that the manager is doing something right.

As difficult as it is I think we just need to tough this out season out see which of the new recruits settle and reassess the situation in the summer when the manager has a full pre season to really define how his team will play.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #287 on: February 15, 2017, 03:55:24 PM »
If we were safe midtable but being poor I'd maybe give him more time but we could lose the next 2 and be a point from the drop zone then what ...?

3 games Max is what I would give him and if he achieves nothing from them he has to go

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #288 on: February 15, 2017, 03:56:02 PM »

IMO it is sheer madness to invest money in a 'manager' and then sack him after only a few games/months. It just becomes a vicious circle. It's so difficult as supporters to adopt some patience especially in this day and age when the cost of supporting the club is so excessive. We all want value for money and almost instant success.

Unfortunately for us our club has been so poorly managed over a number of year that I just don't see an easy fix.

I really didn't understand the boards appointment in the summer of RDM but other than that we seem to have assembled a group of individuals that know about football and what is required to turn this club around. With an owner that has so far shown willingness to support them then I feel we have to back the board' judgement and allow Steve Bruce with his vast experience the chance to stabilise the club.

Having said that the results since Christmas have been hugely disappointing and surprising and its very difficult to take a step back from this and look at the overall picture especially when what we are witnessing on the field results wise has been so poor.

Since the transfer window, other than Brentford we have lost all the games due to horrendous individual errors. In all the other games we have been pretty good for long period which suggests to me that the manager is doing something right.

As difficult as it is I think we just need to tough this out season out see which of the new recruits settle and reassess the situation in the summer when the manager has a full pre season to really define how his team will play.

This, despite everything and being worried about a further relegation, thanks for articulating how I feel.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #289 on: February 15, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »

The time to draw the line is when we get the right manager in place. Bruce is not that manager IMO. He's reached his level and I'm sick of hearing that he "knows this league". It's a poor league with largely poor players. We should move heaven and earth to get the right manager now. No more quick fixes. If Newcastle can do it we can. We are a massive club.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #290 on: February 15, 2017, 04:09:41 PM »

The time to draw the line is when we get the right manager in place. Bruce is not that manager IMO. He's reached his level and I'm sick of hearing that he "knows this league". It's a poor league with largely poor players. We should move heaven and earth to get the right manager now. No more quick fixes. If Newcastle can do it we can. We are a massive club.

Who is the right manager? We’ve tried every combination of manager since PubeHead flounced out and we are back to square one. We were massive club, but are fast turning into an irrelevancy and a poisoned management challis. I can’t think of a single solitary name that would really improve us and frankly if we sack him now we will become an even bigger laughing stock.
There is a fundamental and deep rooted problem at the club, I sure as hell don’t know what it is, but it ain’t just the manager.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:26:15 PM by NeilH »

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #291 on: February 15, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
How can people keep saying Bruce has no idea what he is doing, its crazy. Like him or loathe him, he has pedigree at this and higher level. As recently as last season he got Hull promoted so he has more recent experience than anybody who we could get in to replace him.
There's more to this situation than just managers and players but like everybody else i'm at a loss to explain it.
We've got to hope and pray that Bruce's tried and tested methods and hardwork eventually turn around and things start to even out.

Constantly changing formations, shoehorning players in, poor balance, rubbish fitness, lack of passion, comical defending, bizarre subs, late subs, lack of subs sounds like no idea to me

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #292 on: February 15, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »

Who is the right manager? We’ve tried every combination of manager since PubeHead flounced out and we are back to square one. We were are massive club, but are fast turning into an irrelevancy and a poisoned management challis. I can’t think of a single solitary name that would really improve us and frankly if we sack him now we will become an even bigger laughing stock.
There is a fundamental and deep rooted problem at the club, I sure as hell don’t know what it is, but it ain’t just the manager.

The problem is you can't fix those issues whilst we're shit on the pitch and the truth is we've been shit on the pitch almost entirely since Bruce arrived, a half vs Brighton, a half vs Preston and a few 10-20 minute spells in games where we go on to lose over 21 games isn't good enough.If I could see a plan for what he wanted to do and i could see him doing something rather than just talking about doing something I'd be willing to give him longer but I believe that what we're seeing, style wise, is what Bruce wants to do and i don't think it's ever going to work with this squad.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #293 on: February 15, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »
Round like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning
On an ever-spinning reel

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #294 on: February 15, 2017, 04:50:21 PM »

Who is the right manager? We’ve tried every combination of manager since PubeHead flounced out and we are back to square one. We were are massive club, but are fast turning into an irrelevancy and a poisoned management challis. I can’t think of a single solitary name that would really improve us and frankly if we sack him now we will become an even bigger laughing stock.

The problem is you can't fix those issues whilst we're shit on the pitch and the truth is we've been shit on the pitch almost entirely since Bruce arrived, a half vs Brighton, a half vs Preston and a few 10-20 minute spells in games where we go on to lose over 21 games isn't good enough.If I could see a plan for what he wanted to do and i could see him doing something rather than just talking about doing something I'd be willing to give him longer but I believe that what we're seeing, style wise, is what Bruce wants to do and i don't think it's ever going to work with this squad.

We have been shite on the pitch going back far, far beyond Bruce. He may not have made much difference granted, but shiteness is the norm, it's not something he bought with him.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #295 on: February 15, 2017, 04:50:59 PM »
Agreed, I told you it was all in the mind.........get in a seriously good Sports Psychologist now, before it's too late.
Oh, and some seriously good football coaches as well. 4 of them. and double the training regime, too. Get 'em working for their money. £ 2.5 million a year. OMG

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #296 on: February 15, 2017, 05:01:31 PM »
but that's the thing, I didn't say he did.  What I'm saying is that this idea that there are massive underlying problems that will take ages to fix really doesn't matter if the manager can't get things to an acceptable level on the pitch.  If we were 7-8 points better off I'd still not be happy with him but I'd understand why people were calling for stability and I'd grudgingly accept that he needed time to settle the team and start building for a promotion push next season.  However 7 defeats in 8 games can never be acceptable for this club and a run like that has to be followed up by questions over the position of the manager, particularly when the squad has been assembled at an absolute premium compared to anyone else in the league.

If a manager wants to take their time a rebuild I'm okay with that but only if the results in the interim aren't putting us firmly into a relegation battle and the performances give some signs of improvement.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #297 on: February 15, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »
For me it boils down to this:  Do the results and performances under Bruce since the turn of the year merit the sack?   They do.  He could really have no complaints if he was punted now.

Is his sacking the best thing for Aston Villa at this point in time?   I'd argue no.  More managerial searches (from a limited pool of options owing to the time of year), more uncertainty, and more column inches devoted to the basket case that is Aston Villa. That third one is the least important, but perception does count.

Even with Bruce's obvious limitations we have beaten the likes of Burton, Blackburn, Wigan and QPR.  With return games against that lot and Rotherham still to come, the hope is that we can somehow squirrel out enough points to stay up. 3/4 wins should do it.

That should be nowhere near good enough for Aston Villa, and -with the guts of the season plus plenty of money to mould the team as he sees fit- it will be harder for his pundit mates and the written press to give him a free pass. Moving him on in May/June will be an adequate response to a well below par season. It will look like we do give managers a chance.  Move him on before then and we open ourselves up to the charge of being Leeds/ Celilno pt II and all that shite. And we've seen the relish with which the press corps and talking heads enjoy putting the boot into us in recent seasons.

Bring in a new manager now or March and what is the absolute best they can achieve this season?  Staying up, and that's it. Even Boofball Bruce should be able to oversee that.  Just about.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:30:01 PM by KevinGage »

Offline russon

« Reply #298 on: February 15, 2017, 05:14:36 PM »
Would this be an appropriate time to revisit the MON debate (the one whereby the majority of supporters were pleased to see the back of him) or might that be deemed insensitive?   :-X

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #299 on: February 15, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
Only if Pubehead decides to come back and work for free as penance. As limited, 4-4-2 merchants go, he is probably the best of a very sorry bunch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal