collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2115025 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #2715 on: May 19, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »
We're favourites with the bookies to outright win the Championship at 8/1. The bookies are rarely wrong about who will do well.

Bruce has to do well, he's had a good lead in period, chosen a bunch of his own players and will now have some quiet time to really get them working in a style and system. I'm not interested about whether he could have done better etc last season, it was a torrid time and we've been a mess for years. We need stability and to support the management team to get it right.

There are no excuses though next season.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2716 on: May 19, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »
We're favourites with the bookies to outright win the Championship at 8/1. The bookies are rarely wrong about who will do well.

Bruce has to do well, he's had a good lead in period, chosen a bunch of his own players and will now have some quiet time to really get them working in a style and system. I'm not interested about whether he could have done better etc last season, it was a torrid time and we've been a mess for years. We need stability and to support the management team to get it right.

There are no excuses though next season.

We were second or third favourites last year, behind Newcastle and on a par with Norwich.  They got that pretty wrong.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #2717 on: May 19, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »
Another season of his anti football is hard to stomach.   And he won't get us promoted from what we have already seen.  And hearing Wyness singing his praises is deeply worrying.   We are in for more desperate times I fear.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #2718 on: May 19, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »
What appears to make the difference in this league is organisation coupled with pace. We have no pace, and that has to change in the Summer. I have faith that Bruce can get us organised, whether he can add a bit of pace to the team remains to be seen. We have to have the slowest midfield in the division.

Pace of individual players is less important in this league than playing with high tempo.  Moving the ball around quickly comes from a decision by the manager.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2719 on: May 19, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »
I am in the let him stay for now camp.  Mainly through manager fatigue.  I think the concept of Bruce being "wrong" for us, to me, is like getting porridge for your breakfast when you were hoping for bacon and eggs.
The difference being that Porridge is good for you (us)

Such wisdom, friends.

I would point out that I like a little sugar in my porridge to make it palatable, even tasty.

Mr. Bruce really needs to add a little sugar too as his porridge is lumpy and stodgy.

If it must be porridge can I have mine with blueberries and honey. Even porridge has moved on from salt and lumps.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2720 on: May 19, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »
I feel that those in charge have faith in him as a man and a manager. There is not the slightest hint that his job is under pressure and that must be because people like Wyness and Round feel he has bought into their vision and will deliver just as his record suggests. So this talk of 10 or 12 games is only relevant if you expect him to fail. The club clearly do not and neither do I.

Wyness and Round's jobs probably hang on Bruce succeeding as they're the ones that bloody appointed him, so it's no surprise there's no pressure from them. Xia is a completely different case.  Bruce, Wyness and Round must be praying he likes Congee.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #2721 on: May 19, 2017, 02:34:53 PM »
What appears to make the difference in this league is organisation coupled with pace. We have no pace, and that has to change in the Summer. I have faith that Bruce can get us organised, whether he can add a bit of pace to the team remains to be seen. We have to have the slowest midfield in the division.

Pace of individual players is less important in this league than playing with high tempo.  Moving the ball around quickly comes from a decision by the manager.

That's a good point, we pass so bloody slow that we rarely get defences on the turn and out of position, even though we have some good attacking midfielders, this all comes down to the management team.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2722 on: May 19, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »
I am in the let him stay for now camp.  Mainly through manager fatigue.  I think the concept of Bruce being "wrong" for us, to me, is like getting porridge for your breakfast when you were hoping for bacon and eggs.
The difference being that Porridge is good for you (us)

Such wisdom, friends.

I would point out that I like a little sugar in my porridge to make it palatable, even tasty.

Mr. Bruce really needs to add a little sugar too as his porridge is lumpy and stodgy.

If it must be porridge can I have mine with blueberries and honey. Even porridge has moved on from salt and lumps.

What do the Lisbon-heads think about it?

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #2723 on: May 19, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
Skeletor‏ @GrumpySkeletor

He-Man has just posted a picture of his bowl of porridge on Instagram, just in case you were wondering how much of a wanker he really is.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #2724 on: May 19, 2017, 06:11:22 PM »
Skeletor‏ @GrumpySkeletor

He-Man has just posted a picture of his bowl of porridge on Instagram, just in case you were wondering how much of a wanker he really is.

When did those two get so close anyway?

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2725 on: May 20, 2017, 12:03:06 AM »
Chief executive Keith Wyness has hailed Steve Bruce’s man-management skills and backed the boss to get Villa challenging at the top of the Championship next season.

Keith Wyness is backing Steve Bruce to get Villa challenging next season.

Despite nearly two decades spent in management, Wyness believes the 56-year-old has experienced something of a learning curve since replacing Roberto Di Matteo in the Villa hotseat last October.

Bruce immediately set sights on the play-offs but was only able to guide the club to 13th position by the end of the campaign, the lowest finish of his managerial career.

But he is now set to become Villa’s first manager since Paul Lambert to survive into a second transfer window and Wyness believes both he and the club will benefit from greater stability.

He said: “For Steve it’s also been to be a bit of a learning curve. He’ll say himself it’s been the biggest club he’s managed and he’s had to adjust to that as well.

“Anyone coming in October it is a tough time. He’s had one transfer window but we have had five, six managers who have had one window each.

“Steve’s impact has mainly been man motivation and management. He is fantastic and the best I have seen in football at that sort of thing. That’s a key factor in the Championship.”

Promotion will be the sole aim next season, though Wyness rejected the assumption Bruce’s position might quickly come under threat, should Villa not be in contention from the start.

“You can never legislate for injuries or whatever else is going to happen,” he said. “You have to assess things as you go forward.

“I know Steve, he is a proper pro, I have really enjoyed working with him. I can’t see why we would want to have a change.

“I am going into the season very positive we are going to do it. We have every intention this is going to be a long term relationship."

Wyness added: "We need a good start - not to quell any dissatisfaction - but because we want to get the bloody points on the table and win games. That is it.

"We are not worried about that sort of things. That will take care of itself. A good pre-season and doing the basics and the good things continually. It will take care of itself."

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2726 on: May 20, 2017, 12:07:49 AM »
So Wyness backs the bloke he has staked his future on.
I guess this ends any speculation, we are stuck.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2727 on: May 20, 2017, 12:13:59 AM »
So Wyness backs the bloke he has staked his future on.
I guess this ends any speculation, we are stuck.

How depressing.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2728 on: May 20, 2017, 12:28:02 AM »
Wyness has given Bruce his backing, I guess that Tony has given the manager his confidence. Stability is the name of the game imho, build on what we have achieved this season (whatever you believe - he has stopped the rot) onwards and upwards. We will get promoted next season, with Bruce in charge, I am confident of that.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2729 on: May 20, 2017, 02:15:56 AM »
Yes Bruce has stabilised us as a lower half 2nd Division team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal