collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113425 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2017, 11:57:44 AM »
His crap team selections, tactics and substitutions in 2017 have got us in this mess.  He is entirely culpable.  So yes he should be sacked.
I wonder are the Leicester City fans saying the same?

As a club everything is now in place for us to start winning again. Bruce has been backed by the chairman and the board, and he has to get it right.
This season is a write off, so assuming we wont go down, (because although we are bad, we aren't that bad)  that means he has about 6 to 10 games at the start of next season to get it right, with both results and performances. That brings us up to October, that will be 12 months for Bruce. That is more than enough patience.
I am not interested in sound bites, excuses, post match analysis, injuries, gate gate, not signing new contracts, big club v little club debates, hunger, passion, they wanted it, mistakes, lessons learning etc, Steve Bruce you're the manager, manage.

We ARE that bad though. We're one goal ahead of being the joint lowest scorers in the league, and we're regularly being played off the pitch.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2017, 11:57:52 AM »
Bruce is on a rolling contract so compo wouldn't be at it's stratospheric levels of Randy madness.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »
Bruce is on a rolling contract so compo wouldn't be at it's stratospheric levels of Randy madness.

Is his rolling contract an annual one? Do we know? If the answer is yes the answer (avoiding relegation of course) would be to let him see out the season and then review it.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »
Merson talked about buying players who were big fishesand the crowd, etc being overwhelming.  I don't know if I agree about that with the players but I think that's definitely what happens with managers.  They come in all fresh faced and thinking turning it round will be easy enough with the resources they have and can call on but then they realise how big the job is and they feel the tension fro a couple of defeats and they shit themselves because they just don't have the experience to deal with it.  We've employed 2 managers since Doug sold up who had the experience of having managed big teams with big expectations, mon was one and he handled that side well but his tactical limitations stopped us breaking through.  We followed him up with Houllier who had hnadled it before but there were clear warnings that the pressure might be too much for him physically.  Since then we've employed people who've done ok at lower levels (or in short stints at big clubs) but who have no idea how to handle the pressure of managing a big club with big expectations through a tough period.

We need someone who has managed in the right environment even if they were in an easier league and preferably has 4-5 years experience at a high-pressure club.  Finding the right person and convincing them to come to us is going to be difficult but it's the right way to approach this and is what we should've done last summer.

Already on here people are falling into the same traps that have fucked us over the last few times, Rowett is mentioned because he did an ok job at the shitbox down the road, Smith is mentioned because they looked good against us and he's a villa fan, neither of those is what we need.  Warburton is getting closer to the right type but he'd be a fall back plan for me if we couldn't find anyone better.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »

Bruce deserves sacking for that

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2017, 12:08:22 PM »
Heres an idea. The owner comes out and says under no circumstances will Bruce be sacked or allowed to leave  - even if we lose every game between now and the end of the season and go down, SB will be manager of Aston Villa next season and even if we are relegated, nobody will leave for less than we paid for them.
Make these players realise they either turn up or spend the rest of their contracts in the fucking stiffs

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #246 on: February 15, 2017, 12:10:41 PM »
I can't think of much worse that an owner could ever say.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #247 on: February 15, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »
Here's an idea, the owner comes out and says " I've given you the money you requested in January, since the turn of the year you've repaid me with one point, lose on Monday night and bye bye Steve"

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #248 on: February 15, 2017, 12:12:51 PM »
Heres an idea. The owner comes out and says under no circumstances will Bruce be sacked or allowed to leave  - even if we lose every game between now and the end of the season and go down, SB will be manager of Aston Villa next season and even if we are relegated, nobody will leave for less than we paid for them.
Make these players realise they either turn up or spend the rest of their contracts in the fucking stiffs

Or the underperforming idiots realise that they're on Easy Street and continue to play shit, while we drift towards whatever the Beazer Homes League is called these days.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:17:05 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »

The crux of the problem, give a guy  50k p/w, he doesn't give a shit what sanction you throw. It's meaningless.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #250 on: February 15, 2017, 12:19:25 PM »
Merson talked about buying players who were big fishesand the crowd, etc being overwhelming.  I don't know if I agree about that with the players but I think that's definitely what happens with managers.  They come in all fresh faced and thinking turning it round will be easy enough with the resources they have and can call on but then they realise how big the job is and they feel the tension fro a couple of defeats and they shit themselves because they just don't have the experience to deal with it.  We've employed 2 managers since Doug sold up who had the experience of having managed big teams with big expectations, mon was one and he handled that side well but his tactical limitations stopped us breaking through.  We followed him up with Houllier who had hnadled it before but there were clear warnings that the pressure might be too much for him physically.  Since then we've employed people who've done ok at lower levels (or in short stints at big clubs) but who have no idea how to handle the pressure of managing a big club with big expectations through a tough period.

We need someone who has managed in the right environment even if they were in an easier league and preferably has 4-5 years experience at a high-pressure club.  Finding the right person and convincing them to come to us is going to be difficult but it's the right way to approach this and is what we should've done last summer.

Already on here people are falling into the same traps that have fucked us over the last few times, Rowett is mentioned because he did an ok job at the shitbox down the road, Smith is mentioned because they looked good against us and he's a villa fan, neither of those is what we need.  Warburton is getting closer to the right type but he'd be a fall back plan for me if we couldn't find anyone better.

Do you mean Brendan Rodgers?

I wouldn't be against it.

Online TonyD

« Reply #251 on: February 15, 2017, 12:30:40 PM »
I was keen on Rowett but yes I think we need a big name established manager like Rodgers or Benitez.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #252 on: February 15, 2017, 12:35:50 PM »
Warburton would be good shout. Rangers are a big club with big expectations, and he pulled them back up to the top flight. Did really well in the championship too.

Frank De Boer? Has the pedigree if we could get him to come to Villa.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #253 on: February 15, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »

Do you mean Brendan Rodgers?

I wouldn't be against it.

He'd be a perfect example to be honest.  Philip Cocu at PSV is another.  Both of them would be 'out of our league' given where we are but then rafa benitez is too good for this league and he's done a stint under Mike Ashley because turning around a big club in crisis is a selling point and so is a big transfer budget, strong squad and massive supporter base.  If you get this job right you're a folk hero just like GT and if Xia is what he says he is you're also in at the ground floor of what could be a huge awakening.  I'd go the exact opposite of everything Jimbo says, we're a big club, we need to own the shit out of that, I want a team that KNOW they won't be beaten by teams like Barnsley and Brentford and that take it as a personal insult if they go behind to them.  That's not being arrogant it's about knowing what we are and embracing it rather than being scared of it.  That starts with a manager who knows he's too good for this league and that he's better at his job than any of the people sat in the opposite dugout and that he has a better team than they do, lets make them worry about what we're going to do to them.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #254 on: February 15, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »
Haven't seen much of Rangers, but most of their fans are glad to see him go, while fans of other Scottish clubs seem to take the piss out of him.

I wouldn't be impressed if we went for him, he seems a bit of a dick, too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal