collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114581 times)

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
Re: Bruce out!
« Reply #19590 on: September 21, 2018, 10:22:08 PM »
The defensive stats this season are clear - weak.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #19591 on: September 21, 2018, 10:26:35 PM »
We are apparently 3 points better off than last season - what a load of tosh. Other than Brentford, who have we actually played that will likely finish in the top half? I have tried to give him benefit of the doubt, nice bloke etc, but the footy is dire and his recent comments have totally turned me against him

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19592 on: September 21, 2018, 10:34:53 PM »
Steve Bruce book on Aston Villa tactics:

1) Roll up sleeves
2) Smash it long to Hogan
3) Call fans hysterical

Conclusion: I know what I'm doing

Whoah, whoah, WHOAH!

I'm not Bruce's biggest fan, but to suggest that that's what's in his book of tactics is misleading and does the man a disservice. He's on record as saying that all he asks of players is that they get their boots on. The idea that he'd confuse them with the modern mumbo jumbo that you quoted is way out of line.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:36:39 PM by Sexual Ealing »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #19593 on: September 21, 2018, 10:39:39 PM »
The fact that he's safe unless we're well-adrift of the play-offs is immensely frustrating. It gives him an incredible amount of leeway, we could be mired in mid-table but seven points off of 6th so in his view, still "there or thereabouts" as if consistently disjointed performances can lead to promotion just as much as winning most games and some swashbuckling attacking play (which we should be more than capable of given our attacking talent).
Our aim surely has to be top two, the play-offs are bloody difficult enough as we know. Considering the signings he's been able to bring in, the best-class waifs and strays you could find, he doesn't know he's born.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #19594 on: September 21, 2018, 10:51:36 PM »
What annoys me is the comment re unintelligent fans. Fans pay lots of money to see their team play and that was awful imho. Got to say even Barry Fry would be able to get this squad promoted

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #19595 on: September 22, 2018, 08:05:07 AM »
The fact that he's safe unless we're well-adrift of the play-offs is immensely frustrating. It gives him an incredible amount of leeway, we could be mired in mid-table but seven points off of 6th so in his view, still "there or thereabouts" as if consistently disjointed performances can lead to promotion just as much as winning most games and some swashbuckling attacking play (which we should be more than capable of given our attacking talent).
Our aim surely has to be top two, the play-offs are bloody difficult enough as we know. Considering the signings he's been able to bring in, the best-class waifs and strays you could find, he doesn't know he's born.

Great post

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #19596 on: September 22, 2018, 08:48:20 AM »

Agree with most of the comments, with the exception of him twice messed up. He took over and don't think promotion was realistic. What riles me more than anything is him going on about his promotions and how well he has done. Were Cardiff not in a similar position when another dinosaur took control. He hasn't had the funds Bruce has had and certainly not the talent at the club also, but he achieved what the intelligent one failed to do

I seem to recall a lot of talk from Wyness Bruce et al about the play-offs being the target, and still realistic,  when we took Bruce on.  Bruce likes to re-write history to say it wasn't, and that he did well to stop us going down,  Which is utter crap in my view.  He really doesn't come out well when compared to Warnock over the same period.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #19597 on: September 22, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »
Excellent post eamonn.  Not nit picking in any way but the word "swashbuckling" is invariably seized on by enthusiasts for don't lose as meaning risky, Charge of The Light Brigade football.  All most of us want is entertaining, skill based performances from our team.  What we get from Bruce is neither skillful nor entertaining.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 09:10:54 AM by brian green »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #19598 on: September 22, 2018, 09:29:52 AM »
on very rare occasions Brian it can be - Wolves? Much beyond that and I'm struggling but there must be one or two

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #19599 on: September 22, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »
Apologies if mentioned before, but nearly put my foot through the TV when I heard Ian Holloway backing Bruce to the hilt on the EFL midweek programme.

Four promotions, having to rebuild the squad again. Absolutely no worries, move on.

So there you have it. Nothing to see apparently.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #19600 on: September 22, 2018, 10:03:17 AM »
I think the rubbish Bruce has been coming out with lately shows that he is feeling the pressure. As for his comments about the fans...well ! I,m not a trained chef and I don't need to be to tell the difference between a nice well cocked piece of steak and a rubbery creamated piece of steak.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19601 on: September 22, 2018, 11:24:55 AM »
I think the rubbish Bruce has been coming out with lately shows that he is feeling the pressure. As for his comments about the fans...well ! I,m not a trained chef and I don't need to be to tell the difference between a nice well cocked piece of steak and a rubbery creamated piece of steak.

You wanna eat in better restaurants, mate.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #19602 on: September 22, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »
Apologies if mentioned before, but nearly put my foot through the TV when I heard Ian Holloway backing Bruce to the hilt on the EFL midweek programme.

Four promotions, having to rebuild the squad again. Absolutely no worries, move on.

it's a big club they are all in

they will back each other to the death,
 it keeps them all on the merry go round, gravy train, whatever you want to call it

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #19603 on: September 22, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »

it's a big club they are all in

they will back each other to the death,
 it keeps them all on the merry go round, gravy train, whatever you want to call it

Ian Holloway? His thoughts on the villa manager are totally irrelevant. If he had to pay what we do I am sure he would have a different opinion.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #19604 on: September 22, 2018, 01:10:03 PM »
Having the likes Ian fucking Holloway comment on us is part of why we need out of this shit division ASAP

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal